Opinion Finals - Who Do You Want To Play and Where

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest it doesn't matter. So long as we beat the teams we're expected to beat. If we end up third and Sydney second we're in serious trouble, but that will only happen if we can't get over Hawthorn in two weeks time, in which case we won't deserve to be premiers anyway.

Obviously ideally we will never have to play Sydney in Sydney, but should that happen it's just another challenge and if we play the way we have at times this year it is still a winnable game.

Keep in mind if we do have to play Syderny in Sydney, it won't be at the SCG, making it a 50/50 game.

Im all for looking forward and being 1/2 flu but lets get thru the next 3.

All 3 of Hawks, Swans and Freo can whip us. And we at our best can get them nothing surer.

We are not at our best yet. But we are building. Until we how our best in not inclined to call whom I want to see Week 1 as it as much the location that would effect us.

Eg - Freo at MCG is different for mine than Freo at Etihad. Same with Swans at Syd vs Swans at MCG>

Go Catters

Sydney.

Our backline will hold their forwards, and I don't rate their backline at all. Mids should be about even.

But I reckon we'll be playing the Hawks at the G.

Didn't work out too well last time..

I think Sydney are the team we want to avoid, not because of the humiliation they dished out to us last time, but because they have a very deep midfield and that is our only weakness.

As I said at the time, the Swans are probably not a 100 point better side than us, but there is a chance they are a five goal better side than us.

Hawthorn and Freo we have a much better chance of beating in my opinion.

Sydney.

Our backline will hold their forwards, and I don't rate their backline at all. Mids should be about even.

I agree that our backline is well suited to take their forwards, and that their backline is probably their weakest point (aside from Pyke as number one ruck).

But their midfield is comfortably the best in the comp. Kennedy, Jack and Hannebery with Parker, McVeigh, McGlynn and Jetta in support. Superb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that our backline is well suited to take their forwards, and that their backline is probably their weakest point (aside from Pyke as number one ruck).

But their midfield is comfortably the best in the comp. Kennedy, Jack and Hannebery with Parker, McVeigh, McGlynn and Jetta in support. Superb.

Hawthorn's ability to match and beat that side with their own ageing midfield has completely flummoxed me all season. I just can't believe how well Jordan Lewis and others are playing. Maybe I just don't see the best of these players because we normally beat them, but I am surprised that Hawthorn's mids can match it with that group.

I think Hawthorn are very similar to us, in that their real strength lies on the flanks and wings. I guess that is why we have such great games against them. But why do they have less trouble against the teams like Sydney and Freo?

The only answer I have, is that Clarkson is something of a genius, tactically. That or Lewis and Mitchell are better players than they get credit, particularly Lewis this year.

Hawthorn's ability to match and beat that side with their own ageing midfield has completely flummoxed me all season. I just can't believe how well Jordan Lewis and others are playing. Maybe I just don't see the best of these players because we normally beat them, but I am surprised that Hawthorn's mids can match it with that group.

I think Hawthorn are very similar to us, in that their real strength lies on the flanks and wings. I guess that is why we have such great games against them. But why do they have less trouble against the teams like Sydney and Freo?

The only answer I have, is that Clarkson is something of a genius, tactically. That or Lewis and Mitchell are better players than they get credit, particularly Lewis this year.
I don't know about genius, but he's far, far superior to Scott (and Thompson for that matter) tactically.

No Team can bring 100% manic pressure all season , peaks and troughs will inevitably occur
Reckon the Hawks got the Swans at the right time after they had won 10+ or so in a row. Let Hawthorn use the ball without manic pressure on them and they will cut you to shreds with their ball use.
We were flat as a shit carters hat V the Swans and the inevitable occurred. We do match up very well against the Hawks and let's hope that's still the case in 2 weeks time.
We are starting to build form at the right time , the North game was fantastic and we pretty much had Freo in control for most of the game. Reckon we will also learn from the last quarter.
Our defence is awesome , rucks OK , mids OK but with upside as Bundy , Mots and Caddy regain fitness.

I wonder what Clarkson would do with our forwardline if he were in charge?
I reckon he would isolate Tommy a lot more by clearing out the arc 30M from goal and introduce more lead up options in the 40 - 60M zone from goal.
We defenitely lack those lead up options and bomb it long far too much - thereby wasting a lot of our F50 entries.
If we had long and short options into F50 regularly we would be a far more effective side IMHO

Sydney.

But I reckon we'll be playing the Hawks at the G.
Wow.

?

Which bit? I guess the mids. I don't know about you but I rate our midfield when they're fit and have the opportunity to play together as a group for more than a week.
At our best our midfield is competitive but it is not elite, it cannot be compared to Sydney's. Heck, it just got smashed by Fremantle's and I put Sydney's ahead of that.

Also considering what happened last time it's a stretch to say our backline will hold their forwards.

At our best our midfield is competitive but it is not elite, it cannot be compared to Sydney's. Heck, it just got smashed by Fremantle's and I put Sydney's ahead of that.

Also considering what happened last time it's a stretch to say our backline will hold their forwards.

Lonergan and Enright are big ins.

The reason I'd be more confident against Sydney than Fremantle is that Freo trap us in our defence too well and don't allow us to go through the corridor. Sydney arguably have a better midfield but if our defence holds up I'm confident we can spring attacks from there against them. They're both tough games but I'd prefer to play Sydney. If we can be in the position to play 3 finals in Melbourne to get the job done then we should be quietly confident going into any game though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back