Opinion Finals - Who Do You Want To Play and Where

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad thing is Hillsborough wasn't the first one. And they had two very near misses at the same venue in 1981 and 1987.

I was in London the time the whole inquest results came to light in 2012, was on the front of the papers constantly -which i read- such a sad, sad tragedy, just awful.

Avoid Sydney in the first week and anything is possible, although playing at ANZ leaves the door ajar somewhat as opposed to the SCG. I think the Cats will play their finals nemesis Hawthorn at the MCG.

If we get Hawthorn, and considering they play the Friday night the weekend before, what chance the AFL throw us a 6 day break and schedule the match on the Friday night?

Surely the shite teams in the bottom half of the 8 should get least priority when it comes to scheduling. Top 4 should get Saturday night or Sunday.

Surely the shite teams in the bottom half of the 8 should get least priority when it comes to scheduling. Top 4 should get Saturday night or Sunday.

Some quick research - 2009 was the last time a QF final didn't open the finals series on a Friday night. Part of it is about giving the losing QF team more time than the winner of the elimination final for week 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the coverage like over there?

2 games a week. Usually it's Friday night game and another from Foxtel. Got about 7 or 8 Cats games this year. Often I record it and watch at a decent hour so resisting checking the score sucks.

Finals are good. They show all games.

Nope.....according to the Fox commentators today, the Hawks have had the best defense in the AFL for the last two years :rolleyes:

No doubt 'points against'. Which is a bit like saying that the team with the most inside 50s has the best forward line.

The best defence could reasonably be judged by the lowest ratio of score to opponent forward 50 entries (and even then, the quality of entry would be greatly dependent on the pressure up the field), but of course, no-one bothers to go to those lengths. A simple eye test would confirm that Hawthorn's defence is absolutely its weakness and, if that's the case, it's pretty hard to imagine that it would be the best in the league.

AFL stats are embarrassingly primitive.

I thought it was points against, too, MC- but thought I'd take a look because I remembered thinking Sydney and Freo were the stingiest teams....

As it stands now, Hawks are 8th on the 'fewest points scored against' list, with 1619 points against. Sydney are currently 1st (1353) and Freo second (1411), well ahead of other teams in between them and the Hawks.

At the end of last round, the Hawks were sitting in 6th place, on 1509, well behind Sydney (1297) and Freo (1320).

The only thing I can think of was that some dumbo looked at the points against tally BEFORE the Hawks and Freo had played, but after the other games were played. That would still put them behind the totals of Sydney and Freo anyway, by a fair margin (1509 vs 1353 and 1320- prior to the final game of the round).
Maybe they had their poo and wee glasses on? Or maybe they were thinking 'Clangermakers and Cheney'... lol

A grand final win on my birthday would be great.
Get it done, Cats.
Your birthday is on 27 September? Another one of the beautiful people :hearts:

No matter who we play , it must be at the G W1 and we must win it...or forget the year.
^^^ THIS ^^^

My dream, which is not the best for Geelong, but I would love it!

Qualifying Finals
Swans (1) -v- Hawks(4) (SCG) --> Swans win
Cats (2) -v- Freo (3) (KP) --> Cats win

Semi Finals
Hawks -v- Winner EF1 (MCG) - Hawks win
Freo -v- Winner EF2 (PS) - Winner EF2 wins

Prelim Finals
Swans v Cats (SCG) --> Cats win
Hawks v Winner EF2 (MCG) --> Winner EF2 win

Grand Final
Cats v Winner EF2 (MCG) --> Cats win

However for the Poos+Wees supporters to STFU forever, + for the Fockers fans to STFU for a year then -

Qualifying Finals
Swans (1) v Freo (4) (SCG) --> Swans win
Hawks (2) v Cats (3) (MCG) --> Cats win

Prelim Finals
Swans v Hawks (ANZ) --> Hawks win
Cats v Freo (MCG) --> Cats win

Grand Final
Cats v Hawks (MCG) --> Cats win

Bookmark it.

* This is I think the best chance we have at a premiership, so I'm just hoping this will happen rather than really thinking it will.;)
The only thing that concerns me is that PF against Freo, which I'd prefer played at KP, please.

For a more realistic chance of winning the Flag, I think Swans need to knock the Fockers off in Sydney + Cats to defeat Hawks in the Prelim.

BTW I am very superstitious + this thread worries me :eek:

I post the above comment with fingers crossed, throwing salt over both shoulders, screeching Toi! Toi! Toi! Arms + legs crossed, eyes + tongue crossed, paws, tails + whiskers crossed! :straining: :straining: :straining:

BTW I am very superstitious + this thread worries me :eek:

I post the above comment with fingers crossed, throwing salt over both shoulders, screeching Toi! Toi! Toi! Arms + legs crossed, eyes + tongue crossed, paws, tails + whiskers crossed! :straining: :straining: :straining:

Everytime I'm discussing finals and possible finals at work or with whoever, I look skywards and say "IF.... IF Footy Gods.. do not want to anger thee at all".... :D

Everytime I'm discussing finals and possible finals at work or with whoever, I look skywards and say "IF.... IF Footy Gods.. do not want to anger thee at all".... :D
That is great Shell! During the 2011GF when Geelong weren't doing so great I rang my Mum + told her to light the candle in front of her statue of Our Lady + to say the Rosary lol + she said "Oh Lou!!! I'm in bed + I'm 89 - I just can't do it!" So I screeched at her that I didn't care if she was 189, light the candle + pray that Geelong wins!!! lol Half way through Q4 she rang me and said "I did it! Happy now?" lol She was so cute + she always said that it was her candle + prayers that won the GF for Geelong lol

Being in Sydney I'd just adore a Final at the SCG!!! But a Cats win! *makes the sign of the Cross* ;)

If we are being very sensible, while considering all the Kittens, how our veterans have slowed quite a bit, our loss of clearances + inaccurate goal kicking - then - compare our negatives to the other teams positives, I think to be realistic, we should be delighted to have made finals + be satisfied with the experience they provide our Kittens. I really have no idea how our Boyz can make the GF - my head talking. But my heart! Oh boy! I do enjoy daring to dream!

mods, any chance you can check out this users IP address and then link up how many aliases they have on this website?
It's most likely a Fremantle troll as they are completely rabid with Geelong at the minute, but it's annoying having to see these pipsqueaks infest our board like this.
We're not sure where his/her/its alignment truly lies, but this fool has been targeting multiple boards with multiple accounts across the site.

Everyone, if you see them, don't quote the posts or get sucked into responding- just report them and they'll be dealt with as soon as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back