Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Well for starters, Geelong's 44k members plus richmonds 60k members equals 100+k members, if you want to try and fit that many into a 25k capacity stadium then I'd gladly agree with you.

This is exactly the hypocrisy I have come to expect from the AFL.

Absolutely unfathomable that Freo/West Coast and the SA teams are able to play 11 home games a year, and we are not, let alone the expansion clubs.

I can understand "selling" home games to other grounds, but why should we be forced to play home games elsewhere?

Exactly - All Geelong home games should be in Geelong. Why waste all our taxpayer money on a ground that is under utilised

Well for starters, Geelong's 44k members plus richmonds 60k members equals 100+k members, if you want to try and fit that many into a 25k capacity stadium then I'd gladly agree with you.

We all know that clubs have ridiculously inflated membership numbers who don't turn up to matches.

Of course what they really want is 3 blockbuster home games a year v Coll, Haw and 1 other team a the G and then play the other 8 home games at Geelong.
I'd be happy with that, and its not asking too much is it?

We all know that clubs have ridiculously inflated membership numbers who don't turn up to matches.
Yet they drew less than 35k to the MCG for our home game this year.
Cool.
That's the reason we play the likes of Brisbane and West Coast in Tassie, because we have like 8-10k Tassie members and then there's barely and WCE/Bris fans in Tassie.

If Geelong were smart, they'd host Sydney or Port Adelaide at KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendan Gale has come out and said "no way", that its not fair to Richmond's 65,000 members. On that basis playing at Etihad isn't fair either

I'd have thought Carlton would jump at the opportunity to play at Simonds Stadium, given they have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad....never
Round: 13 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 14-Jun-2014 1:45 PM Attendance: 22083
The Tigers really turned up in droves against Freo at the MCG this year when they knew they were going to lose.
They have an average of 32000 this year, so that 65000 figure is not really relevant.

Blame your team for being good.

If they were a bunch of spuds you'd start dragging more bigger clubs down there but while the quality of the football your team plays is so good, you have to take the biggest drawing crowds on in Melbourne.

Richmond has 60k members, yet according to the article, less than 2500 of them turned out when we played them at the MCG earlier this year.

Ask any Richmond fan and I bet the tigers supporters outnumbered Geelong supporters at least two to one.

For the record I'd love for Essendon to play there. Love the place.

I don't see the difference between playing a big club or a small club down there if the same amount of opposition supporters (or negligible difference...) are gonna get in.

We played there recently. I don't mind playing there again as long as it's fair. Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon should play there before we have to again.

"Richmond has been a regular visitor to Simonds Stadium, having played there seven times since 2000", so clearly there are some other teams due to go there before us.

You guys have 60k members, allegedly, yet your home ground only holds 50k.

No shit, it's because we are contracted to play there. Once that nears its end there will be a push to play the majority of home games at the MCG rather than just 4 per year.

Again that doesn't change the fact that with attendance figures such a big issue the AFL will never schedule large clubs like Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn there as it will mean losing 20-40k bums on seats per game.

I'm happy with three in Melbourne a year - clearly there is a huge market of Melbourne-based Geelong supporters that the club needs to keep engaged.

However at the same time, I do think a 'blockbuster' match should be a fixture in Geelong each year.

Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon. I don't believe they are 'too big' to come down the highway. Just one of them a year. I reckon it would do great things for all involved.

I think you need to come to the realisation that membership these days does not map even remotely closely to weekly attendance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back