Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendan Gale has come out and said "no way", that its not fair to Richmond's 65,000 members. On that basis playing at Etihad isn't fair either

I'd have thought Carlton would jump at the opportunity to play at Simonds Stadium, given they have NEVER beaten Geelong at Etihad....never

Lol.

Didn't hear Brendan piping up during last year's final series...

Again that doesn't change the fact that with attendance figures such a big issue the AFL will never schedule large clubs like Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn there as it will mean losing 20-40k bums on seats per game.

Agreed. The only way I think it would work is if an 'extra' blockbuster game was added each year, and this game was not included in the package of 7 games with seat that many Geelong members get. That would free the game up to become a marquee event, AFL could charge a bit more for tickets, and enable more than 400 oppo fans in. Also because so much of the ground is season seats, capacity is often not reached. By having to buy a ticket especially for this game, better chance for fans who wat to attend to do so.

The key probem with that plan is that variable ticket pricing is really on the nose. But thinking creativley it could work. Surely a trip once every three or so years from each of the big 3 is not too big a deal. As much as it might be a disadvantage to play there, I do think Bombers/Pies etc fans are missing out a bit by not getting to see their team play there. Similar to how I used to enjoy an annual trip to Tassie/Canberra wherever as a Geelong supporter - mixing it up is a good thing.

No it actually isnt

It's no different from going to Patersons or Adelaide Oval where membership numbers can mean very small allocations for visiting teams.

Geelong should have the right to play as many home games at Kardinia as they like IMO. Who gives a shit whether it upsets the away team or not.

It's funny to see supporters and officials of other Victorian clubs so up in arms about having to play a genuine away game. Sorry Brendan Gale, but it's difficult for Port Adelaide's 55000 members to get to the MCG so could we play our next away game against Richmond at Adelaide Oval?

Jesus Christ.

No shit, it's because we are contracted to play there. Once that nears its end there will be a push to play the majority of home games at the MCG rather than just 4 per year.

Again that doesn't change the fact that with attendance figures such a big issue the AFL will never schedule large clubs like Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn there as it will mean losing 20-40k bums on seats per game.
Oh yeah because the AFL really care a lot about scheduling matches to maximise attendance.

If at a minimum 4-5k and up to 10k opposition fans can't be guarenteed entry and seats what's the point of scheduling a blockbuster game there?

I was bemused somewhat by the fact Geelong v Essendon was at Etihad yet again, while Geelong v Richmond was at the MCG. Seemed odd to me.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be against Essendon having to play Geelong at KP. As long as we get a home game against the Cats a bit more often- we don't seem to have had that many against them in the past decade.

If at a minimum 4-5k and up to 10k opposition fans can't be guarenteed entry and seats what's the point of scheduling a blockbuster game there?
To increase equality?

To provide local fans (who may not be able to get to Melbourne) the first chance to see a club play in 20 years?

To increase equality?

To provide local fans (who may not be able to get to Melbourne) the first chance to see a club play in 20 years?

Isn't the fact Geelong fans can go to pretty much any game they like in great numbers equality?

When are Geelong restricted to a few hundred fans when they are the away team in Victoria?

Isn't the fact Geelong fans can go to pretty much any game they like in great numbers equality?

When are Geelong restricted to a few hundred fans when they are the away team in Victoria?
I presume there are a lot of football followers who go to matches in Geelong and have been doing so for decades but are able not make the journey to Melbourne for a variety of reasons.

Carlton hasn't played in Geelong since 1993.

So, does that mean Collingwood should play EVERY game at the MCG?

I presume there are a lot of football followers who go to matches in Geelong and have been doing so for decades but are able not make the journey to Melbourne for a variety of reasons.

Carlton hasn't played in Geelong since 1993.

I live in Geelong. I hope we never play there again.

Why would we when so few of our fans will get to go to the match. Imagine if we camew out and said to Geelong supporters sorry, but only 500 of you can come to our home game vs you. Pretty sure we wouldn't get a happy response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure Geelong would love that since we make $600,000 profit per game at Simonds. But to say we should play none in Geelong is stupid.

I would prefer you played all of them there I just don't like the way many victorian clubs are able to pick and choose where their home games are played, a team has a home ground they shouldn't be hopping from ground to ground around Melbourne. It messes up the evenness of the fixture because the AFL then has to cater to a team wanting to play against the big clubs in the big stadiums and then the smaller clubs in their own venues. This means that in order to get enough of those home games at their own venue the AFL will continuously fixture smaller Victorian clubs to play Geelong at home year in, year out. This year is the first time in recent memory can remember not playing Geelong in Geelong.

So all or nothing is my suggestion, it's completely unfair on the 3-4 Victorian teams who are scheduled to play at KP year in year out because Geelong want to choose when they use the bigger stadiums.

Can't ignore the fact that Geelong play games in Melbourne to cater for their large Melbourne supporter base who can't make the trip down to Geelong. It's in their best interest to maximise attendance at these matches, so playing teams that can draw a crowd is preferable.

Using 60k Richmond members is a wrong figure to use. Most would be GA home games only memberships which are pointless when talking about an away game.

To increase equality?

Except that its an roughly and hour/hour and a half to get from Geelong, Considering I live that far east it seems quite precious that some wouldn't want to make that trip...

Why would we when so few of our fans will get to go to the match. Imagine if we camew out and said to Geelong supporters sorry, but only 500 of you can come to our home game vs you. Pretty sure we wouldn't get a happy response.

I'm not sure what the allocation of tickets for opposition fans has to do with anything.

It is a home game for a reason.

How many visiting fans are able to get into West Coast games at Pattersons? 2k, maybe?

Pretty sure that happens when Geelong plays interstate anyway.

Using 60k Richmond members is a wrong figure to use. Most would be GA home games only memberships which are pointless when talking about an away game.

Except that its an roughly and hour/hour and a half to get from Geelong, Considering I live that far east it seems quite precious that some wouldn't want to make that trip...

Distance to the ground has nothing to do with it.

We should play, as a minimum, 9 home games at KP every year.

Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond should take turns coming down.

I would prefer you played all of them there I just don't like the way many victorian clubs are able to pick and choose where their home games are played, a team has a home ground they shouldn't be hopping from ground to ground around Melbourne. It messes up the evenness of the fixture because the AFL then has to cater to a team wanting to play against the big clubs in the big stadiums and then the smaller clubs in their own venues. This means that in order to get enough of those home games at their own venue the AFL will continuously fixture smaller Victorian clubs to play Geelong at home year in, year out. This year is the first time in recent memory can remember not playing Geelong in Geelong.

So all or nothing is my suggestion, it's completely unfair on the 3-4 Victorian teams who are scheduled to play at KP year in year out because Geelong want to choose when they use the bigger stadiums.

What you say is incorrect because you're assuming that the current arrangement is somehow what Geelong wants or has manipulated the AFL into giving them, which is unfair on every other Victorian club yada yada yada. This is a typical response from people who only see Geelong in a negative way. I can assure the AFL rarely listen to what Geelong want when it comes to fixture issues. Games against Collingwood, Hawthorn, and Essendon consistently draw crowds over 40,000 so it's not unreasonable to play those at a bigger a venue than Simonds. Geelong have been asking for years for more games at Simonds and we have actually been getting less and less. Despite the stadium upgrades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back