So who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Grant Birchall is under rated. Came 2nd in the BnF at Hawthorn last year. So is definitely rated in house. But to the wider AFL community, still under rated.

Spot on. The other player from Hawthorn who fits the bill is Liam Shiels. Our midfield travels so much better when he's in the side - our number one for tackles. A lot of his work goes unnoticed but it allows the others to actually get the ball. I was listening to SEN on the way home from the North game and he was referred to as "the number 26".

Just on Mundy, I reckon him being under-rated has nothing with him being at Fremantle per se. It's just that when you've got the best player in the comp in your team, you're probably going to miss out on a bit of the focus. Most smart footy people rate Mundy very highly.

Yet people are talking Fyfe up as the best in the comp and he's from Freo.
Freo are the best side in the comp right now and Mundy is one of the main reasons for that.

I didnt realise how good he was until the 2013 GF, he almost single handedly kept freo in that game with his clearance work against the tide
He is underrated, He would be the best midfielder at a lot of clubs

Mundy was the first that came to mind for me as well.

As a Hawks supporter i feel that because of the way the media continually pump up some of our players like Hodge, Rioli, and particularly Suckling, other players fly under the radar a bit. Birchall is definitely underrated outside of Hawthorn.

Nick Smith - he is virtually a mistake-free zone. His inboard kick to Jarrad McVeigh in the last few seconds last week was amazing vision and skill in the wet, and gave Sydney one final chance to run it forward.

Birchall is another good nom.

Most Underrated in the Competition: Neville Jetta

Most Underrated by Team:

ADEL: Luke Lowden
BRIS: Dayne Zorko
CARL: Troy Menzel
COLL: Tim Broomhead
ESS: Brent Stanton
FREO: Garrick Ibbotson
GEEL: Rhys Stanley
GCFC: Charlie Dixon
GWS: Matt Buntine
HAW: Taylor Duryea
MELB: Neville Jetta
NM: Robin Nahas
PORT: Kane Mitchell
RICH: Bachar Houli
STK: Josh Bruce
SYD: Tom Mitchell
WCE: Scott Selwood
WB: Easton Wood

Adelaide - Sloane
Bulldogs - M.Boyd
Brisbane - S.Martin
Carlton - Simpson
Collingwood - Sidebottom
Dockers- Mundy
Essendon - Hibberd
Eagles - Cripps
Geelong - Mackie
GC - Rischetelli
GWS - Greene
Hawthorn - Stratton
Melbourne - Dunn
North - Grima
Port - Ebert
Richmond - Ellis
Saints - Armitage
Sydney - McVeigh

I find defenders and non- flashy mids who play their roles well to be the most underrated. Consistency is key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From port probably Jonas and ebert. Carlile to some extent aswell

From other teams:
Adelaide: Tom Lynch when hes not injuring himself
Brisbane: Justin Clarke although he gets pummelled with inside 50s per game he will be recognised in the next few years; hes only 22
Carlton: Sam Rowe
Collingwood: Jarryd Blair
Fremantle: Lachie Neale/Cam Sutcliffe
Geelong: Guthrie/Duncan
GWS: Haynes
Hawthorn: Pretty much everyones rated but I'd go jed Anderson here
Melbourne: Cross on and off field
North: Bastinac
Richmond: Edwards although starting to get a bit of recognition now
Sydney: Bird pretty good tagger on his day
West Coast: Rosa
Western bulldogs: Wood

From port probably Jonas and ebert. Carlile to some extent aswell

From other teams:
Adelaide: Tom Lynch when hes not injuring himself
Brisbane: Justin Clarke although he gets pummelled with inside 50s per game he will be recognised in the next few years; hes only 22
Carlton: Sam Rowe
Collingwood: Jarryd Blair
Fremantle: Lachie Neale/Cam Sutcliffe
Geelong: Guthrie/Duncan
GWS: Haynes
Hawthorn: Pretty much everyones rated but I'd go jed Anderson here
Melbourne: Cross on and off field
North: Bastinac
Richmond: Edwards although starting to get a bit of recognition now
Sydney: Bird pretty good tagger on his day
West Coast: Rosa
Western bulldogs: Wood
Essendon?

Not sure if he's been mentioned much but Joel Patfull is to me the most underrated player in the AFL.

Two time B&F winner in Brisbane and their defence has gone to absolute pieces without him. Can play tall and small, great intercept mark, uses the ball well on the rebound and has slotted in seamlessly as the defensive leader with the Giants. I know he wanted to finish up in Sydney but I'm still amazed the Lions let him go so easily given he could definitely have another 3 or 4 years in him.

Our most underrated is easily Shane Edwards, wonderful in traffic, brilliant quick hands and vision, great at sharking the ball from mid air or off hitouts or marking contests.

Glad I rate him, has rewarded me in SC this year.

Essendon?

Knew I was missing a team Hibberd, Baguley and Colyer are the main ones. Just what they provide you; kicking, rebound/shutdown and speed respectively all vital.

Hurley is also one but I think like shane Edwards, neale and Duncan starting to get recognised a fair bit now. His form is beastly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back