List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Lobbe in 2014 form would be best 22.

So would Paul Stewart in 2010 form.

I don't think he would. Ryder is a better ruckman than Lobbe even if Lobbe was in 2014 form. So are we displacing one of Schulz/Westhoff/Dixon to fit in a second ruck who can't play as a forward, or are we trying to fit 8 talls into a running gameplan? Because neither of those options appeal to me.

Lobbe is a negating workhorse. He's not an elite talent. His 2014 stats made him look like he had more impact on a game than he actually did. Big hitout numbers don't mean shit if you're not hitting them to Port players to create clearances, and his tackle numbers allowed us to reset at clearances but didn't help us actually win any.

Ryder is an incredible athlete, a great mark, a very smart tap ruck and a guy who can sneak forward and kick goals. Now that we're going to have Dixon to fill the hole in our forward line, there's no reason for us to waste the incredible asset that is Paddy Ryder by making him split his time with a negating ruck.

Last edited:
I don't think he would. Ryder is a better ruckman than Lobbe even if Lobbe was in 2014 form. So are we displacing one of Schulz/Westhoff/Dixon to fit in a second ruck who can't play as a forward, or are we trying to fit 8 talls into a running gameplan? Because neither of those options appeal to me.

We do have an extra spot on the bench with the sub gone and with reduced rotations the prediction was the game will slow a little.

I think Young would be good in the monfries role at half Foward. If he could tidy up disposal by foot would be a very good afl player . Would trade if the deal was right but just as happy to keep him on the list.

This is the key for me. We have too many talls in our running game plan to fit in both Lobbe and Ryder now that we have Dixon coming in. Even 2014 Lobbe wasn't as good as 2015 Ryder (when he was playing in the sole ruck position). I'd much rather draft or trade in an elite talent player (preferably draft) to build our list AND our current starting 22. If we could bring in an elite small forward or midfielder with pick 10/11 or 11/12 (which ever we don't give to Gold Coast) then I'd be pretty damn happy.

We would see a successful return of our running game plan in 2016 and a list ready to challenge for the flag for the next 5+ years. I'd take that every day of the week over having Lobbe in the 22 which is a step backwards.

Pick up Lycett or Gorringe on the cheap and develop them in the Maggies. Who knows, they could potentially equal or become better than Lobbe within a season anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second rounder would more than likely get it done.
What you think WC don't wanna keep a decent backup ruck they've recently re-signed in favour of a 2nd rounder in a shallow draft.
If Lycett wants out he ain't looking our way in terms of opportunity either

Lobbe is a negating workhorse. He's not an elite talent. His 2014 stats made him look like he had more impact on a game than he actually did. Big hitout numbers don't mean shit if you're not hitting them to Port players to create clearances, and his tackle numbers allowed us to reset at clearances but didn't help us actually win any.

Ryder is an incredible athlete, a great mark, a very smart tap ruck and a guy who can sneak forward and kick goals. Now that we're going to have Dixon to fill the hole in our forward line, there's no reason for us to waste the incredible asset that is Paddy Ryder by making him split his time with a negating ruck.
Yup...

How do you fit lobbe into a side with dixon ryder sarge and westhoff...its really down to this....and he is way to valuable to be in the sanfl

What you think WC don't wanna keep a decent backup ruck they've recently re-signed in favour of a 2nd rounder in a shallow draft.
If Lycett wants out he ain't looking our way in terms of opportunity either
All I said was a second rounder would be fair if he decided to leave.
I doubt west coast would keep him if he wanted out.

If it's generally accepted that Toumpas is worth a second round pick I shudder to think the price West Coast would put on Lycett's head, especially as it's unlikely we would be the only bidder.
Lycett is third in line atm, yes he has shown that he is a pretty good ruck, but I cannot see any club giving up an early second round pick for him.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this.

I've been a firm no on the "is Lobbe best 22" question since about round 10.

If you can get a first rounder for a player who isn't best 22, you bite the opposition's hand off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back