Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on his form the rest of the NAB Challenge games, then also how others come into form and return from injury (if at all).

Looking at the team that is playing on the weekend, 18 players look set to play Round 1 and there are strong cases for another 3. So he has a chance but a few things have to fall his way.

B: Smith - T Richards - Laidler
HB: Rampe - Grundy - Jones
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - Mills
HF: Heeney - Franklin - K Jack
F: McGlynn - Tippett - Papley
R: Sinclair - Mitchell - Parker
INT: Lloyd - Hewett - Towers - Cunningham

I'd like to see Dawson in the team in round 1 as I think he is an excellent kick and that is something we desperately need but I don't think he will be in the side in round 1.

He is a player I could easily see have a 10 disposal game (or less) and make an impact.

A clutch goal from 50, etc...

Personally I would love to see Mills/Hewett/Dawson & Paps get a run week 1. Can't see it happening though.

I think we can be sure that the R1 team will come from Friday's 26. Doubt any currently injured players would get a run, particularly with only 90 interchanges.

Hewett is class so will almost certainly be picked and Mills is a given. Jones looks a lock for a HBF even with a truncated pre-season.

Interesting that Papley got a gig, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he gets a fwd pocket in R1 as he's different from other options and hasn't let himself down with his kamikaze style. Be a huge decision but if we don't it's tried and unproven BJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laidler Talia Smith
Jones Grundy Rampe
Mills kennedy hanners
Heeney Franklin Towers
Papley Tippett Parker
Sinclair Mitchell Jack

Int lloyd cunningham leonardis b jack

Assuming mcglynn reid richards all unavailable.

Ugh 3 rucks i dunno Nankervis doesn't offer enough around the ground besides how many talls do you want resting forward.

Franklin, Tippett, Sinclair, Reid, Nankervis?

Imo would be a mistake playing 3 rucks against Collingwood.
Nank won't play if they play Reid. Otherwise there is a chance he might

Looking at a hypothetical full-strength side, we're looking pretty solid, but still 2-3 players off being a legitimately great team. No matter how you slice it, you still end up with a few Towers/Rohans/Jones/Roses in there: players over whom there are big question marks (I'm including Mills and assuming he'll find a way to make himself useful, perhaps unreasonably). We really need those sort of players to make a big leap up in quality if we're serious about contending in the next few years.

It is possible to sideline B. Jack and Cunningham, though, which is nice.

But yeah, depth is bad. We'll need an absolute dream run with injuries or some unforeseen improvement in fringe players to hold onto the 4 this year.

Imo our bottom 6/7 players are not good enough to win us the flag
You have yours stars but the bottom tiers is just as important

It's how much improvement do Lloyd, Cunningham, Rohan, Reid, Jones, B.Jack have in them?

I think Jones if injury free might prove his worth down back.

Rohan not sure if he will ever overcome his injuries and be a serviceable player.

Reid is well Reid is made of a paper.

B.Jack well honestly Rose and Papley are ahead of him on NAB form.

Lloyd and Cunningham i feel have plateaued from their breakout years in 2014 maybe this is their ceiling not sure.

It's how much improvement do Lloyd, Cunningham, Rohan, Reid, Jones, B.Jack have in them?

I think Jones if injury free might prove his worth down back.

Rohan not sure if he will ever overcome his injuries and be a serviceable player.

Reid is well Reid is made of a paper.

B.Jack well honestly Rose and Papley are ahead of him on NAB form.

Lloyd and Cunningham i feel have plateaued from their breakout years in 2014 maybe this is their ceiling not sure.
Think Lloyd , Robinson , BJ , Cunningham are going to struggle to stay in the system along with XR , nankervis allir

Remove this Banner Ad

Back