The Name of Our Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Um no, you're wrong again
how?

the TOTAL ATTENDANCE is behind 6 other sporting competitions. it's the 4th most on average.

n4Y7cnd.png

here is assistance in form of a picture.

'Football' is a cultural thing.

Australian rules, rugby, association, American, Canadian, Gaelic... it's all football. Most people call the code they most closely follow, 'football'.

I might be in the minority but I really couldn't give a s**t how each code chooses to do their marketing. I'm able to work out that a Super Rugby fixture between Western Force and NSW Waratahs is rugby union and an A-League game between Perth Glory and Sydney FC is soccer even if the commentators keep saying 'football'.

As if you would use total attendance. Don't be ridiculous, each team in baseball has about 130 games per season.
well aware. the point was that the afl was the 4th most attended around. it isn't. only using that table, im not looking at another if that's what is causing confusion.

As if you would use total attendance. Don't be ridiculous, each team in baseball has about 130 games per season.

Why wouldn't you?

The average AFL crowd is 33,598 over 207 games for a total of 6.95m.
The average Premier League crowd is 36,657 over 380 games for a total of 13.9m.

Comparable averages but twice as many people attended PL games. Pro rata we're ahead I'll grant you, but the PL is structured to manipulate attendances. Man United play at Bournemouth, Chelsea play at Crystal Palace. If the AFL were running the show every weekend there'd be 3 games at Wembley so that they wouldn't have a sold out Selhurst Park etc.

Also today is the last day of the PL season and there are 10 matches on simultaneously. How do you reckon AFL crowds would look if that happened here?

Why wouldn't you?

The average AFL crowd is 33,598 over 207 games for a total of 6.95m.
The average Premier League crowd is 36,657 over 380 games for a total of 13.9m.

Comparable averages but twice as many people attended PL games. Pro rata we're ahead I'll grant you, but the PL is structured to manipulate attendances. Man United play at Bournemouth, Chelsea play at Crystal Palace. If the AFL were running the show every weekend there'd be 3 games at Wembley so that they wouldn't have a sold out Selhurst Park etc.

Also today is the last day of the PL season and there are 10 matches on simultaneously. How do you reckon AFL crowds would look if that happened here?
It's important to mention that they have three times the population, Football is only popular here outside QLD/NSW, and the millions of immigrants go to EPL games but we don't have that with football.

It's important to mention that they have three times the population, Football is only popular here outside QLD/NSW, and the millions of immigrants go to EPL games but we don't have that with football.

In that case the best supported league in the world is probably the Tiwi Islands Football League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how?

the TOTAL ATTENDANCE is behind 6 other sporting competitions. it's the 4th most on average.

n4Y7cnd.png

here is assistance in form of a picture.

Look a little further and you'll see it's around 14th in total attendance and of that list it sits 4th for average attendance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues

So now that it's settled, can the children crying it's not top 10 just stfu. If you look at a per capita attendance than it's clear #1.

Football.

What did you think of? Our beautiful country's indigenous and most popular sport, which on average at the top level is the fourth most attended sports league in the world? Or did your mind cross to the round ball game, which is completely dominated by money? Any man and his dog can find some oil and buy a club. Success can (and is) be bought. Nevertheless, you probably experienced something that most of us do;

Confusion.

Five years ago, upon hearing the word "Football" I would think of our game. But recently, and especially in the last year the media have labelled soccer as "Football" this for some reason, enrages me. Every news outlet is guilty of this, especially Fox Sports. Even Seven do it, and they have a two billion dollar investment in Football, you'd think they'd at least refer to soccer by the title us commoners do.

I just find it odd that even the die hard soccer fans I know, never, EVER refer to it as "Football" yet the media does so every chance they get. It makes me wonder if some Frank Lowy wannabe is bribing them? Even the AFL website has called soccer "Football"!

Another issue is that people are labelling football as "AFL". "I play AFL" "I like AFL". This pisses me off monumentally, I tell them that it's not, and then they ask me if I'm mentally handicapped!!! The Prime Minister, Fox Sports, Channel Seven have all at one point incorrectly used the term "AFL" in place of the proper name, and it's really sad.

All this has started in the last 3-4 years, and it really frustrates me. As a Victorian, nobody I know has called soccer "Football" Ever. It makes me wonder if maybe the NSW centric media is just trying to please the NSW audiences? Is "Football" soccer in NSW/QLD? I didn't even know soccer existed until I was seven! (I'm not joking)

We are heading towards a world were "Football" means soccer, and "AFL" means Football.

That's not a world I want to live in.
The world game is called Football, get over it.

The world game is called Football, get over it.
There is no world game you flog.

Not popular in the three most populous countries (China, India, USA)

Most of the world doesn't care about soccer.

There is no world game you flog.

Not popular in the three most populous countries (China, India, USA)

Most of the world doesn't care about soccer.
Not popular in China and india? Where have you been the hiding the last two years? Lol.... Chinese and Indian super leagues are changing the face of world football, more so in China, the money being pumped into it is insane. MLS is continually growing, your comments have no substance, and you had to resort to abuse. Pathetic.

Soccer has made an effort to claim the word "football", at exactly the same time as footy has tried to rebrand everything as "AFL"

It's worked fairly effectively, reckon it'll take about a generation to be completely finished.

Thank the AFL.

Because its the only competition within the sport that matters, outside of the top flight clubs/franchises the rest of the code at local level may as well not exist. How many of the thousands that follow an afl club can name you a state league player thats not afl listed? Not many. It's an afl obsession thats made the lower levels irrelevant, so it may as well be called afl cos in the eyes of the fans and media it's all that matters, we are a country that only follows top flight sports.

Soccer is not only global, but it's huge within leagues in countries, the word epl is huge, but so is the word championship which is the 2nd tier and so on. The whole lot gets tied into the word football.

We use afl now because the powers sell it as a sport that only has 18 teams in existence.

Not popular in China and india? Where have you been the hiding the last two years? Lol.... Chinese and Indian super leagues are changing the face of world football, more so in China, the money being pumped into it is insane. MLS is continually growing, your comments have no substance, and you had to resort to abuse. Pathetic.

Correct soccer is very popular in these countries, it may not be number 1 but still has a large following, the United States always make it to the knock out rounds of World Cups and have 3 professional tiers of club soccer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back