The Name of Our Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Football.

What did you think of? Our beautiful country's indigenous and most popular sport, which on average at the top level is the fourth most attended sports league in the world? Or did your mind cross to the round ball game, which is completely dominated by money? Any man and his dog can find some oil and buy a club. Success can (and is) be bought. Nevertheless, you probably experienced something that most of us do;

Confusion.

Five years ago, upon hearing the word "Football" I would think of our game. But recently, and especially in the last year the media have labelled soccer as "Football" this for some reason, enrages me. Every news outlet is guilty of this, especially Fox Sports. Even Seven do it, and they have a two billion dollar investment in Football, you'd think they'd at least refer to soccer by the title us commoners do.

I just find it odd that even the die hard soccer fans I know, never, EVER refer to it as "Football" yet the media does so every chance they get. It makes me wonder if some Frank Lowy wannabe is bribing them? Even the AFL website has called soccer "Football"!

Another issue is that people are labelling football as "AFL". "I play AFL" "I like AFL". This pisses me off monumentally, I tell them that it's not, and then they ask me if I'm mentally handicapped!!! The Prime Minister, Fox Sports, Channel Seven have all at one point incorrectly used the term "AFL" in place of the proper name, and it's really sad.

All this has started in the last 3-4 years, and it really frustrates me. As a Victorian, nobody I know has called soccer "Football" Ever. It makes me wonder if maybe the NSW centric media is just trying to please the NSW audiences? Is "Football" soccer in NSW/QLD? I didn't even know soccer existed until I was seven! (I'm not joking)

We are heading towards a world were "Football" means soccer, and "AFL" means Football.

That's not a world I want to live in.

Last edited:
Football.

What did you think of? Our beautiful country's indigenous and most popular sport, which professionally is the fourth most attended sports league in the world? Or did your mind cross to the round ball game, which is completely dominated by money? Any man and his dog can find some oil and buy a club. Success can (and is) be bought. Nevertheless, you probably experienced something that most of us do;

Confusion.

Five years ago, upon hearing the word "Football" I would think of our game. But recently, and especially in the last year the media have labelled soccer as "Football" this for some reason, enrages me. Every news outlet is guilty of this, especially Fox Sports. Even Seven do it, and they have a two billion dollar investment in Football, you'd think they'd at least refer to soccer by the title us commoners do.

I just find it odd that even the die hard soccer fans I know, never, EVER refer to it as "Football" yet the media does so every chance they get. It makes me wonder if some Frank Lowy wannabe is bribing them? Even the AFL website has called soccer "Football"!

Another issue is that people are labelling football as "AFL". "I play AFL" "I like AFL". This pisses me off monumentally, I tell them that it's not, and then they ask me if I'm mentally handicapped!!! The Prime Minister, Fox Sports, Channel Seven have all at one point incorrectly used the term "AFL" in place of the proper name, and it's really sad.

All this has started in the last 3-4 years, and it really frustrates me. As a Victorian, nobody I know has called soccer "Football" Ever. It makes me wonder if maybe the NSW centric media is just trying to please the NSW audiences? Is "Football" soccer in NSW/QLD? I didn't even know soccer existed until I was seven! (I'm not joking)

We are heading towards a world were "Football" means soccer, and "AFL" means Football.

That's not a world I want to live in.
Must be some good pingers floating around Geelong at the moment.

soccer is s**t
Watched a major European soccer competition for the first time on Bein sports. Barcelona needed to win in order to win the title.

Suarez scored a goal, and their was no emotion. Nothing compared to an AFL Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we refer to soccer as EPL?

"Did you see that EPL game between Barcelona and Real Madrid the other day?"

if you want, just prepare for quizzical looks and laughter at your expense.

No, it's really not.

I hate to agree with KFCboyokay but the AFL fudges the stats to make the attendances look better than they are.
Is that a fact?

No?

Then let's just go with what we've got, and that is that with the small population that we have, with eighteen teams, we manage to beat hundreds of other leagues worldwide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back