Brent Harvey- 427 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Shh now, child. :)

Seriously though, put yourself in Michael Tucks's boots.

You get handed a Guernsey of a club you never played for as a commemoration of your record being broken. Do you treasure it forever as some sort of great gesture or do you think "why the * have I got a north Melbourne Guernsey adorned with the name of some guy I never played footy with and probably hardly know?"

You get handed a Guernsey of a club you never played for as a commemoration of your record being broken. Do you treasure it forever as some sort of great gesture or do you think "why the **** have I got a north Melbourne Guernsey adorned with the name of some guy I never played footy with and probably hardly know?"
What if Tucky is a very gracious human and is humbled by the gesture?

Here's a tip.. not every person is as cynical as you.

What's not?

I pretty much said. Why would Tuck care about getting a North Melbourne Guernsey as a tribute to the guy breaking his record?

It's a simple question. I get it is a big PR move but still, it's laughable.

I pretty much said. Why would Tuck care about getting a North Melbourne Guernsey as a tribute to the guy breaking his record?

It's a simple question. I get it is a big PR move but still, it's laughable.
Sounds like you're Tucky's psychologist and you know his every thought, so no use debating this one with you.

You win.

You get handed a Guernsey of a club you never played for as a commemoration of your record being broken. Do you treasure it forever as some sort of great gesture or do you think "why the **** have I got a north Melbourne Guernsey adorned with the name of some guy I never played footy with and probably hardly know?"
rfGALHIRD2_gallery__453x400.jpg

Sounds like you're Tucky's psychologist and you know his every thought, so no use debating this one with you.

You win.

No, I'm just commenting what I think. I deal with a lot of PR spin in my line of work so of course I'm going to see through it a bit more. If people choose to just lap it up and think "what a wonderful gesture" that's fine. I look it and think so what? It's an empty token.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I'm just commenting what I think. I deal with a lot of PR spin in my line of work so of course I'm going to see through it a bit more. If people choose to just lap it up and think "what a wonderful gesture" that's fine. I look it and think so what? It's an empty token.
Wait.... You work??? I thought 100% of your time was taken up trawling through BF for any North reference, so we can all get your highly valued opinion.

Last edited:
I'd just see it as a bit of memorabilia. If I were Tuck, I'd see it as something I can donate to a charity raffle - someone will bid for it, or they can sell raffle tickets, and maybe the money can go to a good cause.
Better than saying "Here's my jock strap, yesterday's hero."

Couldn't think of a more selfish person currently playing in the AFL. Not that hard to circle around your teammates like Gollum and shriek "give me the preciouses" after they've done all the hard work obtaining it.

Wouldn't take a pay-cut so the club agreed to rig a raffle so he scored a free car. Often seen torping balls from 70m out after taking on 5 opposition players and burning all his teammates.

Such a shame a section of the football public are all such jealous flogs they won't be able to enjoy such a monumentous achievement.

I feel sorry for them. Silly buggers.

In years to come when they're silly old flogs, their grandchildren will ask them if they saw the great Boomer Harvey, and the silly old flogs will reply "Yep sure did. Couldn't stand him at all."

And said grandchildren won't give a s**t. They'll just be spewing they didn't get a chance to Boomer the little marvel break the record.

Good times
No they won't. Just because he has played 427+ games, doesn't automatically make him a "great". Especially "the great Boomer Harvey". That type of accolade is used way too often, and should only be reserved for actual "greats". They are players who are on a different level. Gary Ablett Senior and Wayne Carey are two players who I would watch and go "I don't know anyone else who could do that". They say Bob Skilton, Daryl Baldock and John Coleman did things that would make you shake your head. Others I'd rate as greats of the game are Leigh Matthews and Michael Voss to name a couple. Harvey doesn't do things, and hasn't done things that others can't. He's on the next level or two down.

Brad Johnson played 364 games. He won three B&Fs at the Dogs, and was AA six times including captain. He had a great career, but won't be remembered as a great of the game.

Harvey should be absolutely congratulated for his longevity. He's had a great career and continues to do so. The fact he is still fitter than half the players in the league is testament to his preparation, and possibly just some luck with his body. He's played good games, he's played some great games, but he's not a great OF the game.

Genuinely love how much he gets under the skin of opposition supporters. He must be doing something right on the field if he angers them this much. If he was a hack then no one would care about him. Shows how much of a gun he is that opposition fans feel the need to show how much they dislike him instead of congratulating him for one of the biggest achievements the game has ever seen. Deadset champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back