Game Day Round 22, GWS Giants vs Fremantle, Sat 20th August, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

:cool: I'm still nonplussed Bunts can't get a game, but happy Wilson and Hopper are back. Looking like Hopper is going to be best 22 for a long time.
On Wilson did anyone notice we seemed to be bombing it into the 50 to a contest a lot last week? I wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to adjust to a more finals suited game. I noticed that Shiel particularly didn't seem to be as willing to play on and take on the man on mark as much as usual.
Will be interesting to see if Wilson does. It's a real strength of his apart from his brilliant foot skills.
All year we've got a lot of goals from the running mids and maybe the rest of the season will be a bit more stodgy as the pressure increases.
We do have good crumbers so maybe it is the best percentage play.

:cool: I'm still nonplussed Bunts can't get a game, but happy Wilson and Hopper are back. Looking like Hopper is going to be best 22 for a long time.
On Wilson did anyone notice we seemed to be bombing it into the 50 to a contest a lot last week? I wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to adjust to a more finals suited game. I noticed that Shiel particularly didn't seem to be as willing to play on and take on the man on mark as much as usual.
Will be interesting to see if Wilson does. It's a real strength of his apart from his brilliant foot skills.
All year we've got a lot of goals from the running mids and maybe the rest of the season will be a bit more stodgy as the pressure increases.
We do have good crumbers so maybe it is the best percentage play.
Wilson's field kicking has the rare combo of penetration and accuracy. Add to that pacey run and carry, and you can se why he such a damaging player in form. His I50s to marking options are almost impossible to stop. We need more of that and less of the bombing, but that is a lot of good sides these days. Most AFL sides are so good at putting pressure on the ball carrier, that bombs I50 are far more common these days. Players that can find space are going to find it easier to hit up targets...naturally.

Wilson's field kicking has the rare combo of penetration and accuracy. Add to that pacey run and carry, and you can se why he such a damaging player in form. His I50s to marking options are almost impossible to stop. We need more of that and less of the bombing, but that is a lot of good sides these days. Most AFL sides are so good at putting pressure on the ball carrier, that bombs I50 are far more common these days. Players that can find space are going to find it easier to hit up targets...naturally.
Agreed.
I'd say him and Devon are both a beautiful kick of the footy. I was wondering if our game wiĺl change. Talking to a committed Crows fan who knows footy and he's worried their running game wont work in finals and I wonder about us.

Agreed.
I'd say him and Devon are both a beautiful kick of the footy. I was wondering if our game wiĺl change. Talking to a committed Crows fan who knows footy and he's worried their running game wont work in finals and I wonder about us.
I think our game style will stack up. Just as importantly, we need to be able to switch to other modes. We seem capable of closing things up and forcing stoppages, and really improved our tempo/possession footy. The bit we fail to do is recognise when to switch and allow the game to drift away at times.

I've just realised the Bledisloe is on over the road on Saturday. It seems our game will end around half an hour before the start. Not sure what it means except I expect there will be a lot of people around Olympic Park at the end of the game.

I think our game style will stack up. Just as importantly, we need to be able to switch to other modes. We seem capable of closing things up and forcing stoppages, and really improved our tempo/possession footy. The bit we fail to do is recognise when to switch and allow the game to drift away at times.
I really agree with this. I thought last year we were very one dimensional with the 'orange wave' through the middle and we seemed to lack 'gear changes' when the opposition was on top. This year the shift to more possession footy when the oppo is on top or towards the end of the quarter is a significant improvement

But I also agree we are always a couple mins late to recognize he need to shift gears

I've just realised the Bledisloe is on over the road on Saturday. It seems our game will end around half an hour before the start. Not sure what it means except I expect there will be a lot of people around Olympic Park at the end of the game.

It means traffic will be chaos. Getting into P1 shouldn't be a problem, getting out might be another thing though.

But we've also got the function back at the club after the game - so for games like that we'll park in P3, next door to the club. It's further to walk to get to the game, but after heading back up to the club for the festivities, we at least don't have to slog it all the way back down to P1 after.

People go on about our scores from stoppages. I haven't heard anyone mention our forward stoppage differential.
Our tactic is very clear; unless there is a clear target inside 50, bomb it to the top of the square. We have two contested marking beasts in there. Our hard running mids get there asap to help lock it in. From there they load the numbers in and fill the holes on the out kick. I know lots of teams do this fairly regularly, but nothing like how we do it... It's very deliberate.
Our scores from stoppages are so big because we have so many of them. This is why you'll see even our best kicks go straight for the top of the square. Hell, you only need to read Leon's lips if they don't do that and try a dinky little kick to a one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How expensive was the loss last week now...

FFS makes me want to spew...

Does show it wasn't a fluke. The worst would've been WC coming out and getting caned.

Looking like we need a dominant win today to have any confidence next week. Just need to get it done now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back