Game Day Prelim Finals 2016...the Swans v Cats & the Dogs V Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's ability to absorb pressure and repel opposition F50 entries is immense. Geelong dominated possession for periods of that game, the same as we did last week. Neither team able to hurt them on the scoreboard though.

And they've done it with a bits and pieces defence too - Grundy, Dane Rampe, Jeremy Laidler, Allir (injured in Q1), Nick Smith, Zac Jones, Harrison Marsh. Any early picks in that group?

Still think we've erred by devoting so many first round picks to defenders. The back line is more about system rather than pure talent whereas in the midfield and forward line there is no substitute for talent

Sydney's ability to sacrifice everything for the moment that presents has been inspiring to watch. The way they attack the ball and the man with the ball and then use poise in possession... clinical... and Franklin is chomping at the bit.

The family thing with Dangerfield I found a bit awkward.

You can't argue with it. Who would begrudge someone wanting to be closer to their family?

At the same time every player in the AFL has a family. Should they all pack up and go? If they don't does that mean that the Dangerfield's are closer than everyone else?

I guess some do and some don't and who are we to judge. But I'm glad he didn't win. Doesn't make our season any better but that would have been too much to take.

The family thing with Dangerfield I found a bit awkward.

You can't argue with it. Who would begrudge someone wanting to be closer to their family?

At the same time every player in the AFL has a family. Should they all pack up and go? If they don't does that mean that the Dangerfield's are closer than everyone else?

I guess some do and some don't and who are we to judge. But I'm glad he didn't win. Doesn't make our season any better but that would have been too much to take.
Completely agree. Is Sloane not making sacrifices, what about Cheney, or Hartigan? Or do people think that PD is closer to his family than everyone else? I don't wish the guy any ill-will from a life perspective, but when it comes to AFL - I hope his present and future are empty.

Sydney's ability to absorb pressure and repel opposition F50 entries is immense. Geelong dominated possession for periods of that game, the same as we did last week. Neither team able to hurt them on the scoreboard though.

And they've done it with a bits and pieces defence too - Grundy, Dane Rampe, Jeremy Laidler, Allir (injured in Q1), Nick Smith, Zac Jones, Harrison Marsh. Any early picks in that group?

Still think we've erred by devoting so many first round picks to defenders. The back line is more about system rather than pure talent whereas in the midfield and forward line there is no substitute for talent
It's a fair argument but don't forget;

Parker #40
Hannebery #30
Kennedy - cheap trade

No rolled gold elites there.

Having watched us wet the bed sooooo many times, I'm really convinced that what we must look for are players who rise come finals.

Trade for experieced finals players, draft kids who have played in junior finals.

We have crucified our midfield since last week, yet it's the same group who beat Syd here, smashed GWS for 3/4 and ran over the top of WCE in Perth.

So is it really just a question of talent? Rendell was supposedly a pretty good judge of talent and went McKernan one pick before Hannebury, based on talent - fair enough. But it's what's between the ears that's counted.

We simply don't have enough big game players and we need to find more.

All the 'right now' strategy, all the Dangerwood circle-jerks, all the chest-beating, all the arrogance, those two wins over the reigning champions, those two wins over the Crows, that soft draw ... it's all blown up in their face.

The text I got from my mate and posted on here after their loss to St Kilda is an appropriate illustration:

259961_226577a1b6b97e2ee71b5badbe3cb8fa.png

And the leading bed-wetters are the ones who have played plenty of games.

Games played does not equal valuable experience.
Correct.

And while I think of it, further to my last post, look what happened when we traded in a proven premiership and finals playing star - D Jarman. Dragged us over the line how many times?

Zac jones looks a player. Reminds me alot of cameron. Quick, tough and tackles like a machine.

Correct.

And while I think of it, further to my last post, look what happened when we traded in a proven premiership and finals playing star - D Jarman. Dragged us over the line how many times?
We are at an absolutely critical juncture this off-season.

We can go soft and keep Thompson, Douglas, Mackay and keep the same culture of failure or we can finally move these guys on.

It's a fair argument but don't forget;

Parker #40
Hannebery #30
Kennedy - cheap trade

No rolled gold elites there.

Having watched us wet the bed sooooo many times, I'm really convinced that what we must look for are players who rise come finals.

Trade for experieced finals players, draft kids who have played in junior finals.

We have crucified our midfield since last week, yet it's the same group who beat Syd here, smashed GWS for 3/4 and ran over the top of WCE in Perth.

So is it really just a question of talent? Rendell was supposedly a pretty good judge of talent and went McKernan one pick before Hannebury, based on talent - fair enough. But it's what's between the ears that's counted.

We simply don't have enough big game players and we need to find more.
* me we picked spud mckernan a pick before hannebery,?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats invested a truck load into 2016.

Only draft pick from last year with any promise so far is Menagola (25 next year). Other draft picks Ryan Gardner, Wylie Buzza and Matthew Hayball really no idea if they're going to be any good.

Plus they've lost their first pick this year for Henderson, and finishing 3rd will see their first pick at 34.

Danger and Selwood 39 touches each, next two Enright (26 dis) and Bartel (24 dis) both likely to retire. Duncan and Guthrie on 20 touches an absolute mile behind the blue chippers.

Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan 31 and 33 next year respectively.

Last edited:
Cats invested a truck load into 2016.

Only draft pick from last year with any promise so far is Menagola (25 next year). Other draft picks Ryan Gardner, Wylie Buzza and Matthew Hayball really no idea if they're going to be any good.

Plus they've lost their first pick this year for Henderson, and finishing 3rd will see their first pick at 34.

Danger and Selwood 39 touches each, next two Enright and Bartel both likely to retire. Duncan and Guthrie on 20 touches an absolute mile behind the blue chippers.

Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan 31 and 33 next year respectively.
Agree - they sold the farm and will be in a mess now

Thing that has stood out the most for this finals series is a quote from Ross Lyon following North's loss.

"There are no miracles in finals".

Dogs beat Eagles after winning earlier match in the year. Giants follow 7 goal win against Sydney with 6 goal win in QF final.

Hawks lose 4 of last 6 games in regular season and can't regain form in finals.

Swans beat Geelong 98-60 off 6 day break at Simonds. In PF Swans beat Cats off 6 day break 97-60.

Last edited:
Of course you can. That was a horror call, much like Nick Joyce in 2011 ahead of Neale.

Sloane, Hannebury, Neale - midfield looks a bit better ?

Sydney took Lewis Johnston at 8 in that draft long before they took Hannebury. In 2011 Freo took Tom Sheridan at 16 long before they took Neale, their talent and worth wasn't obvious even to the clubs who took them.

Every club has their misses, given what our club has had to work with, our recruiters have done an exceptional job.

Sydney took Lewis Johnston at 8 in that draft long before they took Hannebury. In 2011 Freo took Tom Sheridan at 16 long before they took Neale, their talent and worth wasn't obvious even to the clubs who took them.

Every club has their misses, given what our club has had to work with, our recruiters have done an exceptional job.
Have to agree that yes, overall our recruiters have been very good.

My original argument has gone off on a tangent because I briefly mentioned McKernan.

The real issue is about getting finals hardened players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back