2017 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if there is already a thread on this Mods

Title is self-explanatory, What can we all see our Best 22 looking like heading into Round 1 next year. Obviously will change as Trade Period progresses but right now i'd say we are looking fairly strong

At this stage (before pre season and drafts etc..) I'd have

B: Brad Sheppard - Tom Barrass - Will Schofield
HB: Shannon Hurn - Eric Mackenzie - Sharrod Wellingham
C: Andrew Gaff - Matthew Priddis - Lewis Jetta
HF: Jack Darling - Jeremy McGovern - Elliot Yeo
FF: Mark Lecras - Josh Kennedy - Jamie Cripps
R: Scott Lycett - Luke Shuey - Sam Mitchell
INT: Jonathan Giles, Dom Sheed, Chris Masten, Liam Duggan

Looks like we might be getting Vardy, in which case he could play ahead of Giles

B Sheppard McGovern Schofield
HB Hurn Barrass Mitchell
C Duggan Priddis Gaff
HF Yeo Darling Jetta
FF Lecras Kennedy Cripps
R Lycett Shuey Sheed
I Wellingham Redden Giles/Vardy Nelson

Maybe worth waiting till the end of the trade and draft periods?
but we are all so excited to get season 2017 underway!!

Heres mine:

B: Brad Sheppard - Tom Barrass - Marcus Adams
HB: Shannon Hurn - Jeremy McGovern - Sharrod Wellingham
C: Andrew Gaff - Matthew Priddis - Lewis Jetta
HF: Jack Darling - Elliot Yeo - Sam Powell-Pepper
R: Todd Goldstein - Luke Shuey - Sam Mitchell
INT: Scott Lycett, Dom Sheed, , Liam Duggan, Jackson Nelson

As things sit currently

B: Brad Sheppard - Tom Barrass - Will Schofield
HB: Shannon Hurn - Jeremy McGovern - Sam Butler
C: Andrew Gaff - Matthew Priddis - Dom Sheed
HF: Elliot Yeo - Jack Darling - Lewis Jetta
R: Scott Lycett - Luke Shuey - Sam Mitchell
INT: Sharrod Wellingham, Chris Masten, Jackson Nelson, Jonothan Giles/recruited ruck
Emg: Liam Duggan, Jack Redden, Josh Hill, (Eric Mackenzie, Mark Hutchings, Malcolm Karpany, Simon Tunbridge.)

Hill and Lecras are interchangeable if Lecras ages 10 years like he did this year.

Last edited:
FB: Butler McGovern Sheppard
HB: Hurn Barrass Mitchell
C: Gaff Priddis Jetta
HF: Yeo Darling LeCras
FF: Cripps Kennedy Hill
R: Lycett Shuey Sheed
I/C: Vardy Wellingham Duggan Schofield

Emg: Redden Masten Hutchings

Masten is the obvious out to accommodate Mitchell. Agonised over Nelson's exclusion but Butler was consistently good this year and I think we benefit from his poise.

Would need a huge preseason from Redden to convince me he should be anywhere our best 22.

Duggan and Hutchings competing for one spot. Really tempted to cut Yeo but with Priddis and Mitchell in the one side, we can't afford to sacrifice his dynamism. Will need to work very hard to retain his spot though.

No idea where Ezy fitz in with any of this besides being an obvious replacement if Gov or Barrass get injured, god forbid

Guys won't yeo and hutch play on same spot? HFF?

So gtfo yeo. You have more potential but is an inbred when shooting goals hutch is a goal scorer and a tagger yeo can only mark and is so unreliable on goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutch is our #1 tagger who did a great job this season on the opposition stars.
Marsden is a crab.

I don't necessarily disagree, but noone who's posted a team yet has had hutch in their 22. If he is in the 22 it would mean that either the likes of Duggan and co aren't progressing as we'd like, or one of our other guys is injured. What we can agree on though is that yes, Marsden is certainly a crab.

The team I'd like to see:

Schofield - Mackenzie - Sheppard
Hurn - Barrass - Wellingham
Jetta - Sheed - Gaff
Yeo - McGovern - Darling
Tunbridge - Kennedy - Cripps
Lycett - Shuey - Mitchell

Redden - Duggan - Nelson - Giles

I'd like to see our young players step up to take the place of older heads in Le Cras, Hill and potentially Priddis.
Guys like Nelson, Tunbridge, Duggan etc.

Mackenzie to find form allowing McGovern to start forward more.

Plenty of depth with potential to add more via trades or draft.

I hope we rotate Mitchell off a a hbf instead of playing him purely as a midfielder. We've got to try and preserve his body for as long as possible.

Inb4 we cyrogneically freeze him.

Pretty sure we would have too so we can continue the development of Duggan, Sheed and then some games to Parto.

Mitchell will not only be good for the kids but I think he will be good for guys such as redden, Jetta and darling whose footy has stagnated in the last few years.

Last edited:
What makes you think that he will be bad for the kids? I think he will be invaluable for our young mids like Duggan and Partington
Sorry was typing that while getting on the train. There should an an only between not and be.

Duggan will only be in the team if he as a huge preseason. He's coming from a long way back and was rarely sighted even at WAFL level after he was omitted from the team. I like him as a player but he has a huge amount of developing to go and if you think he will leave Masten out the team you're in for a shock unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back