Retired # 4: Jobe Watson - Now coach at Xavier College 28/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Does that actually happen? Genuine question. Can't recall ever hearing of it/seeing it.

For endorsements dont know of specifics but players would become somewhat more marketable having won a brownlow though.

As for the contracts I have heard players and coaches getting bonuses for reaching certain milestones/achievements. ie bnf placing, ladder postion etc.

I remember Eade got a bonus in 1996 as his manager put in a specific clause to say that if sydney made the gf he got an extra sum for the year.

As for the brownlow cant imagine any players having a clause for a pure cash bonus (except maybe judd lol) but more around the memorabilia profits etc.

Still the one measured source that deals with facts and absolutely nails this IMO. The fact that Chip Le Grand's voice still barely gets heard, or at least registered above the crowd of screamers on both sides of this is so sad. Read this, but prepare to be really frustrated, once again, that it has come to this.

Everyone should be forced to read this before having an opinion on the matter.

Chip was on RSN's breakfast show today - Spent time discussing the loose ends after Watson's decision to hand back his Brownlow medal - Player compensation; Apparently half the claims have been settled with an average in the low hundred's of thousands - One or two players are still holding out and that Watson and Crameri are the most problematic cases - Stated the cost will be around 10 million - Finally, Danks appeal against the decision of the AFL's Anti Doping Tribunal occurs 21 November.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was a Richmond or Hawthorn fan I would care.
Of course you would.

But we are not Richmond or Hawthorn fans, we are Essendon fans and what happens with the medal now doesn't affect us at all. If they get a retrospective, good luck to them. If they don't...meh.

well on this issue he is actually correct. both cotchin and mitchell deserve the medal now that jobe is ineligible.

I don't agree. People like Ralph use McKernan and Grant as examples, but those two guys did deliberate acts to earn their suspensions. Therefore are we saying that Jobe deliberately set out to cheat? Think that's where some commissioners may have issue with.

I don't agree. People like Ralph use McKernan and Grant as examples, but those two guys did deliberate acts to earn their suspensions. Therefore are we saying that Jobe deliberately set out to cheat? Think that's where some commissioners may have issue with.

well the point of your argument centers on the word deliberate which i don't believe is the issue. Those two guys you quote were reported , found guilty and then suspended. whether it was deliberate act would have been considered whilst determining their guilt. You can be suspended for committing an act that was not deliberate eg careless conduct and that will be reflected in the penalty. why I agree with ralph , though I am no fan of his by the way, is that the same has happened to jobe ie charged, found guilty and suspended. Regardless of your point of view he has been suspended and therefore cannot be considered the fairest in that year. Clearly disappointing for him and obviously this disappointment will form part of his deserved compensation claim.

well the point of your argument centers on the word deliberate which i don't believe is the issue. Those two guys you quote were reported , found guilty and then suspended. whether it was deliberate act would have been considered whilst determining their guilt. You can be suspended for committing an act that was not deliberate eg careless conduct and that will be reflected in the penalty. why I agree with ralph , though I am no fan of his by the way, is that the same has happened to jobe ie charged, found guilty and suspended. Regardless of your point of view he has been suspended and therefore cannot be considered the fairest in that year. Clearly disappointing for him and obviously this disappointment will form part of his deserved compensation claim.

Not that I think you have been particularly inflammatory or unreasonable, but aren't there numerous threads all over BF that you could go to and talk about things like this?

I'm sure you'd understand that the last 4 years have seen more than a few trolls target everything Essendon, and Essendon supporters kinda like talking to other Essendon supporters instead of defending opinions against the masses.

Not that I think you have been particularly inflammatory or unreasonable, but aren't there numerous threads all over BF that you could go to and talk about things like this?

I'm sure you'd understand that the last 4 years have seen more than a few trolls target everything Essendon, and Essendon supporters kinda like talking to other Essendon supporters instead of defending opinions against the masses.

Happy to not deliberately inflame just thought it was an open thread. if that's the rule then perhaps all those threads should be closed to outsiders.

Not that I necessarily agree with this but; you could argue that Jobe (and the rest) were found not guilty by the AFL tribunal, however the same action was reviewed by a different body who reached a different conclusion. To draw a long bow (and related to other offences), if I punch a guy on the field and for some reason get let off by the tribunal, put he takes me to caught and I'm found guilty of assault, am I still eligible for the Brownlow?

Particularly given his stance on Jobe:

Maybe it's time he buggered off.

Happy to not deliberately inflame just thought it was an open thread. if that's the rule then perhaps all those threads should be closed to outsiders.

Or you know, maybe you can talk in one of the many other options.

Coming here to espouse your views suggests you have a target audience. Especially when you offer advice regarding how our board should be run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back