2017 pre-season discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson will be a gun

I agree Bedford. he has all the right ingredients. A great kick. wonderful in gfront of goal from as far as even 70 metres. Can take a great mark. handball is good and straight not underground. Gets to the right position. Footy Smarts. When he is truly fit after a great pre-season. Let's hope he leaves injury behind him in 2017.

Jordan Foote looks a real beast. He's added more bulk to an already impressive frame. To think he also won the time trial and that bodes well for his season.

Lewis Melican is another who looks incredibly fit and has bulked out a bit. Bit of a smokie Lewis. Has plenty of talent just needed to get his body right. Looks like that might be happening now.

There has been talk here about the young players taking that next step. I think our list has quite a few young players in that boat and with two first round picks that can only get better. But don't forget the picks in the forties. Goodes was drafted at pick 43, Parker 40, Pebbles at 50 something. We are in good hands with Kinnear and the boys.

Of our Grand Final team only 6 were first round draft picks including the academy boys, Heeney & Mills. Three were second round picks. Three were third round picks and ten were originally Rookie picks. I believe this to be the most rookie picks to ever play in an AFL grand final for one team. We have a knack of converting rookies into very good players. But I do think the top end talent we will get in this draft will help close our premiership calculations even more. The club will be very strong and even stronger after the 2017 Draft with top end academy talent on the way.

Those who I believe will step up to the plate this year;

Nick Newman; Had a wonderful season and the only reason he languished in the reserves was because he was on the Rookie list and probably not the next in line. Marsh had done the hard yards and Newmwn was very unlucky there. He will be in the mix and will more than likely debut in 2017.

Jordan Dawson; A full pre-season will make all the difference to this lad. With a good fitness base the sky's the limit. ticks all the boxes and will turn into a Gunston like player. He will play it is just a matter of what round in 2017.

Jordan Foote; I include foote here because he only played one game. He looks sensational and has grunt and footy smarts. Hard as nails in the same vein as Zac Jones. I think he will get plenty of game time in 2017. Don't be surprised if Kirkie is putting a lot of time into him.

Daniel Robinson; Certainly he has played a few games. But in my opinion he got injured at a very unfortunate time. He was developing really well. I watched some of the early games of 2016 and he was good, very good. It is as much about what he does off the ball as with the ball. His pressure, tackling, blocking/shepherding and run were really good. We'll see a lot more of Dan in 2017.

Those that might;

Melican; Played really well in the reserves last year. Has a lot of footy smarts and is a good kick.

O'Riordan; The next Tadhg. Has plenty of run and kicks the ball really well. Takes a very good mark and can play tall or small.

So the future looks pretty good as far as I can see. But the only proof will be how we play against the teams who have all had lots of first round picks like Bullies, GWS, Suns, Carlton, etc when they all get going in the next two years.

But there is some good news. With A.Stretcher apparently setting swans records in the gym. Looking to build on his 1 game career so far. Promising times. We all saw how much support he showed the lads last year.
Plays well in the wet which can come in handy ....

Jordan Foote looks a real beast. He's added more bulk to an already impressive frame. To think he also won the time trial and that bodes well for his season.

Lewis Melican is another who looks incredibly fit and has bulked out a bit. Bit of a smokie Lewis. Has plenty of talent just needed to get his body right. Looks like that might be happening now.

There has been talk here about the young players taking that next step. I think our list has quite a few young players in that boat and with two first round picks that can only get better. But don't forget the picks in the forties. Goodes was drafted at pick 43, Parker 40, Pebbles at 50 something. We are in good hands with Kinnear and the boys.

Of our Grand Final team only 6 were first round draft picks including the academy boys, Heeney & Mills. Three were second round picks. Three were third round picks and ten were originally Rookie picks. I believe this to be the most rookie picks to ever play in an AFL grand final for one team. We have a knack of converting rookies into very good players. But I do think the top end talent we will get in this draft will help close our premiership calculations even more. The club will be very strong and even stronger after the 2017 Draft with top end academy talent on the way.

Those who I believe will step up to the plate this year;

Nick Newman; Had a wonderful season and the only reason he languished in the reserves was because he was on the Rookie list and probably not the next in line. Marsh had done the hard yards and Newmwn was very unlucky there. He will be in the mix and will more than likely debut in 2017.

Jordan Dawson; A full pre-season will make all the difference to this lad. With a good fitness base the sky's the limit. ticks all the boxes and will turn into a Gunston like player. He will play it is just a matter of what round in 2017.

Jordan Foote; I include foote here because he only played one game. He looks sensational and has grunt and footy smarts. Hard as nails in the same vein as Zac Jones. I think he will get plenty of game time in 2017. Don't be surprised if Kirkie is putting a lot of time into him.

Daniel Robinson; Certainly he has played a few games. But in my opinion he got injured at a very unfortunate time. He was developing really well. I watched some of the early games of 2016 and he was good, very good. It is as much about what he does off the ball as with the ball. His pressure, tackling, blocking/shepherding and run were really good. We'll see a lot more of Dan in 2017.

Those that might;

Melican; Played really well in the reserves last year. Has a lot of footy smarts and is a good kick.

O'Riordan; The next Tadhg. Has plenty of run and kicks the ball really well. Takes a very good mark and can play tall or small.

So the future looks pretty good as far as I can see. But the only proof will be how we play against the teams who have all had lots of first round picks like Bullies, GWS, Suns, Carlton, etc when they all get going in the next two years.
Way to positive....must be a stat against that....
Dawson, O'Riordan, Melican, Reid, & Pick 9, my call for a influential '17 - but again way too +. :)

Is Heeney carrying an injury? I saw he was in the background of one of the images in training gear, but not involved in the time trial.

Was training today according to Twitter...looking absolutely shredded too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just preparing himself to play elsewhere in 2018 as he hasn't signed yet!

His contract does not come up for renewal until the end of 2017. Have you ever thought that the club & Heeney's management might want to wait until the new Salary Cap deal is set before signing off on a new contract? After all then they will both know how much leeway they have. The club also had to sign several out of contract players before the playerwith contracts ending next year.

His contract does not come up for renewal until the end of 2017. Have you ever thought that the club & Heeney's management might want to wait until the new Salary Cap deal is set before signing off on a new contract? After all then they will both know how much leeway they have. The club also had to sign several out of contract players before the playerwith contracts ending next year.
Not sure if im right but i detected a bit of tongue in cheek with teds comment ???

Don't worry about me mate. I'm just kidding.

Dawson really impressed me last pre season from memory, i know he was injured through out 2016 but what can we expect from him in 2017? is he likely to take X mans spot as the 3rd forward ?

Dawson really impressed me last pre season from memory, i know he was injured through out 2016 but what can we expect from him in 2017? is he likely to take X mans spot as the 3rd forward ?
No. Reid will take XR's spot. JD will have to wait for an injury imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back