2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I should have a crack at this with something to look back on. Very confident with my top 2.

1 GWS - will win 2017 flag at half pace. The PF will burn an already excellent team.
2 Bulldogs - with less injuries next year won't have to do it from 7th. They are seriously good and only a hangover will stop them being near a GF.
3 Sydney
4 Geelong
5 St Kilda - big improvers
6 Melbourne - big improvers
7 West Coast - a good Bulldogs team made them look worse than they are but Nic Nat missing could hurt.
8 Essendon - could finish anywhere really but I think will play with a real determination and do well.

9 Collingwood
10 Hawthorn
11 Adelaide - severely overrated. Injuries would bury them.
12 Carlton - wanted to put them higher but the depth of good teams next year seems decent.
13 Fremantle
14 Gold Coast
15 Port Adelaide
16 North Melb - seems harsh, probably is.
17 Richmond
18 Brisbane

Lol

Nah. Our Forward line is dynamic, multi-dimensional

Higgins - Waite - Wood
Thomas - Brown - Garner

With Daw on the bench is exciting imo. There is goals, class and defensive pressure in that group of forwards.

Lol wow

Could I disagree anymore with this ???

No every word is wrong

Lol wow

Could I disagree anymore with this ???

No every word is wrong
Good for you. But that shows your ignorance more than anything else.

There are 4 ~40 goal forwards in that forward line, a young medium forward with an abundance of ability and who can run all day that was on the verge of having a break out year this season before he hurt his knee and a prodigious young first round talent who needs a fair run with injuries to demonstrate his considerable class. Like I said, talented and multi-dimensional with plenty of goals in it.

Nah. Our Forward line is dynamic, multi-dimensional and much less predictable without Petrie. The area where we will struggle is finding the outside class or mixing up our game plan to get it to them quickly to give them a chance.

Higgins - Waite - Wood
Thomas - Brown - Garner

With Daw on the bench is exciting imo. There is goals, class and defensive pressure in that group of forwards.

Our defense is a little bit more of a concern with Thompson still needed to play on the 2nd talls Vickers-Willis, who played really well on Jake Stringer in the VFL fwiw, is the leading contender to come in to take Firrito's role. No doubt that Atley is s**t, but MacMilan is much underrated outside North. He's an excellent kick and a really smart footballer. He'll play more up the ground anyway. Hopefully Williams can get back to his 2015 form and replace, or perhaps play alongside Atley to give us more run and a harder edge down there. McDoanld is fine as well, in fact, he was having an excellent season this year before he tore his hamstring, but he'll probably move to the midfield anyway.
Truly forgot about Lindsay.

But you may say there's 4 40-goal forwards...yet in 2016 one of them kicked 40. Yes, Waite would have if not for the injury...but Waite has had one season where he played most matches. Higgins is similar WRT injury. At full fitness? Great. Can you rely on them? Not on your life.

Even at your best, the crows can't get near Geelong.
Actually even when you had Dangerfield you couldn't beat us.
Sorry for not rating the crows bud.
The Crows finished a whopping 4pts behind Geelong in 2016, after Geelong had the luxury of return games against Essendon and the Lions.

To say that "injuries would bury them", like its something that wouldn't effect every other team is just odd.

There are 4 ~40 goal forwards in that forward line, a young medium forward with an abundance of ability and who can run all day that was on the verge of having a break out year this season before he hurt his knee and a prodigious young first round talent who needs a fair run with injuries to demonstrate his considerable class. Like I said, talented and multi-dimensional with plenty of goals in it.

Of course anyone that's disagrees is ignorant

Waite old and broken
Higgins pea heart
Brown meh
Wood not bad
Thomas diving cheat
Garner who?
Daw hahhaahahaaha

Could be wrong but I really don't see 4, 40 goal forwards in Norths attack and even if it somehow does happen it will probably mean your game plan is one dimension with 4 players hogging the goals.

Waite is finished. Barely kicked a goal in the second half of the year albeit with some injuries problems.

Brown might get there but he is a meh player and will have non impact games vs good opponents.

Wood is a good prospect but probably won't kick 40 goals playing as the 3rd tall or wherever he plays.

Higgins showed last year that he doesn't have what it takes to perform in a losing side.

Thomas might also kick 40 but his goals are ugly af and doesn't have a huge impact creating goals.

Daw is more likely to finish the season with 40 behinds.

And who is Garner?

1. GWS - it has begun.
2. Sydney - redemption will have them up.
3. Western Bulldogs - I doubt Beveridge will allow a hangover.
4. St Kilda - good coach, nice young blokes emerging.
5. Melbourne - it's about time, why not explode into a home final?
6. Adelaide - still a solid side, might drop a bit but I expect good footy.
7. Hawthorn - the slide has begun but still a side to watch.
8. Essendon - resurgence has begun, the determination will be huge in this group, coupled with the young stars emerging.

9. Geelong - competitive side, they get wins but aren't overly impressive, soft loss in the prelim doesn't tell me they're going somewhere.
10. West Coast - oldest side in the camp and uncertainty around Nic Nat.
11. Fremantle - not as bad as some think, won't be bottom four. They'll climb.
12. Gold Coast - screwed up their initial list but still a lot of young potential stars, good draftees this year could have breakouts.
13. Port Adelaide - so, so average. Whiney players, dud coach.
14. Collingwood - They still have that FIGJAM messiah coach? Says it all.
15. Carlton - on the turnaround but coming from a long way back.
16. Brisbane Lions - expecting similar to 2016 Carlton, expected to be bottom but scrape out a few wins.
17. Richmond - losing Deledio hurts, should be the last year for Dimma, time to stop pretending he is a good coach.
18. North Melbourne - carried by their old brigade to 9-0, once they tired their true colours came through. Daw and Waite are on an AFL list, and it's this one. Yikes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problems Whiskers, I feel the same about Geelong ... I keep under-rating them !!

Again this year, I see Corey Enright out and I think how will they cover that?? For us Adelaide supporters, it means you will have to find another player for us to repeatedly kick it too when you play you in 2017 :) I see a fixture that doesn't hand games over for free - and wonder will the Cats hang in?

I think Adelaide have improvement yet, and should continue to climb in 2017 like we did in 2015 and 2016. We had 6 in the all-australian squad last year, and 7 in the 22-under-22. I'm expecting us to be sitting in the group behind GWS and the Bulldogs.

Of course it could all be wishful thinking and we end up being middle of the road ... all in good time I guess.

I'll do another one:

1. GWS
2. West Coast
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Sydney
5. Melbourne
6. Richmond
7. Adelaide
8. St Kilda
------------------------
9. Gold Coast
10. Essendon
11. Hawthorn
12. Fremantle
13. Geelong
14. Collingwood
15. North Melbourne
16. Brisbane
17. Carlton
18. Port Adelaide

It's hard to tell without seeing them play at least a couple of preseason matches.
I want to do one after the draft as I somehow feel more knowledgeable :p

1. GWS - They look very strong on paper next year so don't think they'll lose many games.
2. West Coast - Topped up alright and think that last year was a bit of an aberration.
3. Sydney - Well, they are just a great side aren't they. Probably nailed the draft yet again.
4. Richmond - I admit that it's probably bias but I think we have done well this trade/draft period. Soft draw + better depth hopefully results in this.
5. Melbourne - I think that they have one of the best midfield in the competition. With solid ends too, won't be shocked to see them in the top 4.
6. Adelaide - Don't see them improve by much if any improvement next year. Could crash out of the top 8, but I'll put them here.
7. Western Bulldogs - I see them having a down year next year and bouncing back up 2018.
8. Essendon - Building a really good side. The banned players have been training so think they can make the 8. Could finish just out of the 8 though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. St Kilda - Could definitely make the 8, but I am not sure yet on them. Got smashed a lot last year for a side that many expect to just leap in.
10. Gold Coast - Think that this off-season was a line-in-the-sand moment for the club. They are talented IMO and could finish way higher than this.
11. Geelong - They lost depth and took a risk by taking a few mature players in the draft. Don't think it'll work out at the moment.
12. Fremantle - If one of Richmond and Fremantle leaps to the top 4, it is probably Fremantle, but bias made me choose Richmond. Could charge up.
13. Hawthorn - Feel like they'll crash out of the 8. The last two times a team finished top 4 winning close was Fremantle (2015) and Geelong (2014).
14. Carlton - One of those things where improvement occurs but not much on the ladder like Richmond between 2011 and 2012.
15. Brisbane - I actually think that they can finish in the top half of the bottom 10 and even push for finals. Have them here though.
16. Port Adelaide - Either they go in the top 8 and possibly the top 4, or they crash down. Don't think mediocrity is an option for them.
17. Collingwood - They have taken a lot of risks. Their topping up could see them make finals, but it is looking like it won't pay off to me.
18. North Melbourne - They haven't bottomed out for years, but also didn't do much for years. I can see them hover at ~12, but I'll go with 18th.

I had a look at Melbourne's draw next year and I think they are a smokey for the top 4.

Round 1 Saturday, March 25 - St Kilda v Melbourne (ES) = 50/50 -> LOSS
Round 2 Sunday, April 02 - Melbourne v Carlton (MCG) = WIN
Round 3 Saturday, April 08 - Geelong Cats v Melbourne (ES) = 50/50 -> LOSS
Round 4 Saturday, April 15 - Melbourne v Fremantle (MCG) = WIN
Round 5 Monday, April 24 - Richmond v Melbourne (MCG) = WIN
Round 6 Sunday, April 30 - Essendon v Melbourne (ES) = 50/50 -> WIN
Round 7 Sunday, May 07 - Melbourne v Hawthorn (MCG) = WIN
Round 8 Saturday, May 13 - Adelaide Crows v Melbourne (AO) = LOSS
Round 9 Sunday, May 21 - Melbourne v North Melbourne (MCG) = WIN
Round 10 Saturday, May 27 - Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns (TP) = WIN
Round 11 BYE
Round 12 Monday, June 12 -
Melbourne v Collingwood (MCG) = WIN
Round 13 Sunday, June 18 - Western Bulldogs v Melbourne (ES) = LOSS
Round 14 Saturday, June 24 - West Coast Eagles v Melbourne (DS) = LOSS
Round 15 Friday, June 30 - Melbourne v Sydney Swans (MCG) = 50/50 -> WIN
Round 16 Sunday, July 09 - Carlton v Melbourne (MCG) = WIN
Round 17 Saturday, July 15 - Melbourne v Adelaide Crows (TIO) = 50/50 -> WIN
Round 18 Saturday, July 22 - Melbourne v Port Adelaide (MCG)= WIN
Round 19 Saturday, July 29 - North Melbourne v Melbourne (BA) = 50/50 -> WIN
Round 20 Saturday, August 05 - GWS Giants v Melbourne (MO) = LOSS
Round 21 Sunday, August 13 - Melbourne v St Kilda (MCG) = 50/50 -> WIN
Round 22 Sunday, August 20 - Melbourne v Brisbane Lions (MCG) = WIN
Round 23 Saturday, August 26 - Collingwood v Melbourne (MCG) = WIN

That would leave them at 16-6, which is usually enough to make the top 4. It wasn't necessarily enough this year, but that is not the norm.

Not saying that this will happen, but I think they are a smokey. Their midfield is probably in the top 4-6 in the league, their forward line is quite potent and their defence is solid. Their #1 ruckman is one of the best in the league, so I think they could surprise.

Having seen Fremantle's Draw I think they are a chance for 4th:

R1 - Geelong (DS) = W
R2 - Port Adelaide (AO) = W
R3 - Western Bulldogs (DS) = L
R4 - Melbourne (MCG) = W
R5 - North Melbourne (DS) = W
R6 - West Coast (A, DS) = W
R7 - Essendon (DS) = W
R8 - Richmond (MCG) = W
R9 - Carlton (DS) = W
R10 - Adelaide (AO) = L
R11 - Collingwood (DS) = W
R12 - Brisbane (G) = W
R13 - Bye
R14 - Geelong (SS) = L
R15 - St Kilda (DS) = W
R16 - North Melbourne (ES) = L
R17 - West Coast (H, DS) = W
R18 - Hawthorn (DS) = L
R19 - Greater Western Sydney (SPOS) = L
R20 - Gold Coast (DS) = W
R21 - Sydney (SCG) = L
R22 - Richmond (DS) = W
R23 - Essendon (ES) = W

The Crows finished a whopping 4pts behind Geelong in 2016, after Geelong had the luxury of return games against Essendon and the Lions.

To say that "injuries would bury them", like its something that wouldn't effect every other team is just odd.

Not relevant at all, given Adelaide also played us twice.

For Adelaide to finish above us, they simply needed to beat us once.

Having a laugh, surely...
No I am not. While it probably is more hope than reality (let's be real here), I genuinely think that it is a possibility provided that we change our gameplan and that our KPPs like Rance and Riewoldt are not injured.

Richmond has experience in making finals in recent years and have actually improved their team from 2014-2016 IMO. With a softer draw, better midfield depth and strong debuts from some of their new recruits, hopefully this is the end result.

Again, it is a big stretch and I am probably being bias, but stranger things have happened in the AFL before.

We didn't beat you last year and you are using that as a basis for why we won't make the 8? Geelong isn't the centre of the universe. Crows a lock for the 8. Your team is getting rid of tons of experience and we've got a heap of youngsters coming through and many players in our side aren't even close to their peak. We're on the up and have a great home field advantage. You're having a massive laugh. Sportsbet has us over/under 14.5 wins.

Last edited:
We didn't beat you last year and you are using that as a basis for why we won't make the 8? Geelong isn't the centre of the universe. Crows a lock for the 8. Your team is getting rid of tons of experience and we've got a heap of youngsters coming through and many players in our side aren't even close to their peak. We're on the up and have a great home field advantage. You're having a massive laugh. Sportsbet has us over/under 14.5 wins.
Port fans thought similar in the 2014 off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back