Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Andy McGrath will probably win it to be fair and is a way ahead of the others who have questions on how much they'll play.

Francis, Ainsworth, Hopper, Fiorini

Clarke been backed into second favourite from $101 in November.

Hawthorn supporters are getting embarrassing with their Burton manlove. The kid hasn't done anything yet and he's already being talked up as the 2nd coming. At least let the dude string some games together first.
I mean, he was highly rated as a 17 year old but had an injury in his draft year so was overlooked. With Joel Selwood, Stringer etc. being fellow players injured in their draft year and becoming elite, they have every right to be hopeful. Agree that he's overhyped but the kid has bags of talent. Then again, he could just as easily become the next Morton/Thorp.

I can see Ainsworth winning it quite comfortably TBH. He will be living at the feet of Lynch and Wright who should next year be arguably one of the best key forward combos in the game. Also, the Suns will be pushing the top 8 fairly hard as well but are still at that point where they are blooding youngsters so Ainsworth should be getting plenty of game time. He was AFL ready early last year.

I can see Ainsworth winning it quite comfortably TBH. He will be living at the feet of Lynch and Wright who should next year be arguably one of the best key forward combos in the game. Also, the Suns will be pushing the top 8 fairly hard as well but are still at that point where they are blooding youngsters so Ainsworth should be getting plenty of game time. He was AFL ready early last year.

Barring injury, Ainsworth wins in a canter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn supporters are getting embarrassing with their Burton manlove. The kid hasn't done anything yet and he's already being talked up as the 2nd coming. At least let the dude string some games together first.
It is just lucky the Bombers fans aren't getting carried away by Francis on the back on some VFL highlights and beating a bloke who should have retired 2 years ago.

Genuinely surprised there's not much love for Ainsworth on here. Much better player than Taylor and will play a bit of a similar role. Will score goals and lots of them this year.

From the lions, outside of our draftees i'd say the surprise packet would be Eric Hipwood. Played very well towards the end of last year, and while talls don't usually poll terribly well (in general) he'd be one who could grab a few votes if we play better as a team. Can kick a goal and will be a highlight machine. Still don't think we'll have any major contenders this year. McCluggage would be the obvious one but I'm not sure he'll get enough of the ball in his first year to get serious consideration.

It is just lucky the Bombers fans aren't getting carried away by Francis on the back on some VFL highlights and beating a bloke who should have retired 2 years ago.
That's the bloke who's in the top 3 of betting odds for the Rising Star Award at basically every bookie, yeah?

Not that Francis has anything to do with what I posted. I'm sure there are Essendon supporters pumping him up beyond belief - doesn't change the fact that Burton is likewise being pumped up beyond belief by sections of Hawthorn supporters.

That's the bloke who's in the top 3 of betting odds for the Rising Star Award at basically every bookie, yeah?

Not that Francis has anything to do with what I posted. I'm sure there are Essendon supporters pumping him up beyond belief - doesn't change the fact that Burton is likewise being pumped up beyond belief by sections of Hawthorn supporters.
The odds reflect the weight of money from Bombers supporters. Maybe they should rewatch Francis' game against the Cats and they might be a little more reserved in their expectations.

Just seems strange to call out the Hawks supporters as embarrassing after how over the top your brethren have been on Francis.

The odds reflect the weight of money from Bombers supporters. Maybe they should rewatch Francis' game against the Cats and they might be a little more reserved in their expectations.

Just seems strange to call out the Hawks supporters as embarrassing after how over the top your brethren have been on Francis.
Francis was the favourite as soon as the odds were released. Try to explain that away.

Actually the weight of money has affected other players. Francis was in the top 2 with Hopper when the odds first came out.

But yeah, I guess it is pretty strange for me to post something about Hawthorn supporters and Burton because other Bombers supporters (who aren't me) happen to also be pumping up Francis.

Last edited:
Just wanna jump in on the Markov v Burton situation.

Sometimes you've got to look at more then stats when judging young players potential, sometimes you've just got to use your eyes. Yes, Markov has produced better, and chalked up better stats, to this date. But, i've watched both, and The things Burton does are super impressive and smooth, has great player written all over him. Markov, not so much, hes put some decent games together, and in my opinion will never be a star, just doesn't show star quality in my opinion. Doesn't seem to have those football smarts, looks unnatural at times.
That being said i can see Markov being a solid AFL player.

Just wanna jump in on the Markov v Burton situation.

Sometimes you've got to look at more then stats when judging young players potential, sometimes you've just got to use your eyes. Yes, Markov has produced better, and chalked up better stats, to this date. But, i've watched both, and The things Burton does are super impressive and smooth, has great player written all over him. Markov, not so much, hes put some decent games together, and in my opinion will never be a star, just doesn't show star quality in my opinion. Doesn't seem to have those football smarts, looks unnatural at times.
That being said i can see Markov being a solid AFL player.

No one was arguing Markov will end up being better than Burton (except one Richmond fan). Most of us were arguing that Markov has shown more than Burton has at the moment and so that is the reason why he is listed and Burton is not.

One particular Hawthorn fan took offence to that.

You could say this for any team. Eg Essendon and Francis.

Francis was the favourite as soon as the odds were released. Try to explain that away.

eth, I am a huge fan of Francis. I was hoping like hell he would slide to our pick #8 in the 2015 draft. We missed by a few in the end.

Drafted as a 3rd tall (or maybe huge midfielder), I notice he's now listed as 194cm. I figure at that height he could easily play CHF/CHB. And bloody well.

In those positions, I think it's hard to win the Rising Star in your 1st/2nd season. With some exceptions, I think the award is more likely to go to a midfielder who can rack up 20 possies each week.

You got any info on what he has been training as / where expected to play this year? If say it's in defence, I see little chance he wins the award.

Back