Charlie Cameron - what to expect in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vader still hasnt realised that Ben Jarman has played reserves Football let alone Senior at NAFC.
Id be surprised if he knew that CC was now number 23 and not still 42

To date, CC has shown himself to be a quicker version of Jared Petrenko. Both players have many of the same strengths and weaknesses.
  • Both are/were small forwards who were frequently tasked with playing a defensive role.
  • Both are/were excellent defensively, with strong tackling skills.
  • Both have/had dismal records when kicking for goal, albeit for very different reasons.
  • Statistically, they are very similar. Petrenko averaged 11.7 disposals per game, CC averages 11.3. Petrenko averaged
I reckon you may be on the money with single quarter cameos. Under Pyke I don't think anyone will be seen as only one position players. Except maybe Talia. I would be very happy if CC could play as a small forward and then come into the midfield for short bursts to jumble up the oposition. I think he would be very effective being used as a player that comes in and stops a run of goals that start from centre bounces, which seems to happen to us at stages. (Geelong, geelong, geelong)

To date, CC has shown himself to be a quicker version of Jared Petrenko. Both players have many of the same strengths and weaknesses.
  • Both are/were small forwards who were frequently tasked with playing a defensive role.
  • Both have/had dismal records when kicking for goal, albeit for very different reasons.
  • Statistically, they are very similar. Petrenko averaged 11.7 disposals per game, CC averages 11.3. Petrenko averaged 3.7 tackles per game, CC averages 3.5.
The biggest difference between them is pace - Petrenko was reasonable, CC is electric.

Jared Petrenko is now a footnote in history - a player who couldn't get his hands on the ball often enough, and choked more often than not when kicking for goal. Right now, CC's record is very similar.

What does 2017 hold in store for CC? Can he take his game to a new level, having a real influence on games rather than just single quarter cameos? Can he get himself into the game continuously, improving his disposal counts as a result? Will he move into the midfield, or will he remain pigeon-holed as a defensive small forward?

I reckon you may be on the money with single quarter cameos. Under Pyke I don't think anyone will be seen as only one position players. Except maybe Talia. I would be very happy if CC could play as a small forward and then come into the midfield for short bursts to jumble up the oposition. I think he would be very effective being used as a player that comes in and stops a run of goals that start from centre bounces, which seems to happen to us at stages. (Geelong, geelong, geelong)

Two in my mind, the GWS game and I think it was Brisbane where he was in the middle from the centre bounce and within 5-6 seconds had won the ball, taken off and hit up a leading player on the chest for a goal.

Type of stuff Danger could do that made us dangerous (Danger could do that multiple times a game, though his tended to be blind bombs into 50), that could really help us with momentum shifts if he can do it consistently. Either turn it back our way, or really hammer it home on the opposition.

This is the kind of response I was looking for...

There is nothing to really say about this.

CC right now has shown enough to argue he could be a gun small forward, however, it's a position that is very hard to find consistency. Especially when you're playing second fiddle to Betts. The lack of consistency could be attributed that as much as he is young and raw, but even then he's offensively contributing more than what i'd expect of most players in this scenario.

He needs another tool to be able to kickstart him when the supply dies up, and to make him a more dangerous player. Wing/the inside receiver he played in bursts is something that does need to be expanded a bit.

Of all of our youngsters coming through, he and M.Crouch are the only two that are pretty clear cut how they will go.

So so? What does that mean? He is already one of our best impact players.

If he doesn't find consistency he will be lucky to play 150 games that's so so in and out of a team

But saying that he should find it, it takes a few years to find your feet and once you've done that consistency is the next thing and I am sure he will find it and go on to become a 200 plus player which is in the high end of drafted players

He is fitter than last season so I don't see why he won't improve...
I'm guessing he will be raise his average disposals to 17/18 and kick a goal or 2 a game playing more midfield.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-01-20/charlie-chasing-midfield-minutes

Charlie chasing midfield minutes
Lee Gaskin, AFL Media January 20, 2017 6:06 PM

463306_np.jpg

Charlie Cameron

I asked to work with the midfielders, so now I'm confident when I go up to the wing I can add a little bit more speed to the midfield.
Charlie Cameron
Former apprentice mechanic Charlie Cameron wants to be the man to spark Adelaide's midfield.

The speedy forward told AFL Media it was last year's Semi-Final against Sydney at the SCG, when he had 17 possessions, six inside 50ms and booted two goals in a cameo performance on the wing, which gave him the belief he could have an impact on the ball.

"I hadn't had much time there before the Sydney game," Cameron said.

"Now I know what I can do, I'm looking forward to going up there for a longer time.

"I asked to work with the midfielders, so now I'm confident when I go up to the wing I can add a little bit more speed to the midfield."

Cameron has spent the majority of the pre-season with the midfielders, working with wingers Rory Atkins and David Mackay to learn where to be in certain situations.

"It's about finding that balance, whether it's in packs or sitting outside at the stoppages," Cameron said.

"I've been working more with the midfielders than the forwards, so hopefully I can get a lot of minutes on the wing."

He's also increased his running capacity and set personal bests in two of the Club's three 2km time trials.

Cameron's immense potential put him on the radar of rival clubs and Carlton raised his name as a possible target in a trade for Bryce Gibbs at the end of last season.

Cameron was in Bali at the time when he heard about it through social media.

"I was a bit surprised, but I knew the Crows really liked me and I had two more years (on my contract), so I didn't think I'd be going," he said.

"I'm happy where I'm at and we've got a really good team, so I'm really looking forward to what the future holds."

He joined the Crows at the same time as star forward Eddie Betts, who moved across from Carlton at the end of 2013 on a four-year deal.

"Eddie and his wife Anna helped me settle because as a young, indigenous kid it can be tough," Cameron said.

"They helped me out and kept me in line for the eight months I was living with them.

"I know if I need help from Eddie, that I can go to him and he's a shoulder to lean on."

Cameron is set to play his 50th game for the Crows in Round One against Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval.

It's an impressive achievement, given the 22-year-old only played his first game of Australian football in 2012 when his family relocated from Queensland to the Western Australian mining town of Newman, a 12-hour drive from Perth.

Before that, Cameron played rugby league and rugby union at Marist College Ashgrove in Brisbane.

Cameron played every game for Swan Districts in the WAFL in 2013 and represented WA at the Under-18 National Championships, but was overlooked at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

"After I didn't get picked up in the main draft, I went back to work because I was an apprentice mechanic," he said.

"I was at TAFE and didn't have my phone on me.

"I got a phone call after I finished saying I'd been picked up by the Crows (with the seventh pick in the rookie draft), so I was pretty happy.

"I had a lot of people push me when I was at Swan Districts.

"I lived with (player development officer) Steve Thompson, who told me to work hard and everything else would sort itself out.

"He was one of the keys for me to get to the AFL."

I think there's an obvious touch of bias against Charlie in this thread's OP, because if you're being completely objective in an assessment of a young and developing player you don't single out one and only one player for a comparison who just so happens not to have made it at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted in the PS thread:

"Cameron has spent the majority of the pre-season with the midfielders, working with wingers Rory Atkins and David Mackay to learn where to be in certain situations"

:eek:
Mackay is an average player who was able to get a four year contract from our club at a time when it was desperate to retain what few 'run and carry' players it had, and you think he doesn't know where to be in certain situations?

The one thing Dmac does we'll is getting in position for handball receives from stationary players. Typically he then takes 3-4 steps and boots it long to a contest.

Put charlie in that position, and he'll tare off down the ground, gaining 40 yards + wherever he disposes it.

Posted in the PS thread:

"Cameron has spent the majority of the pre-season with the midfielders, working with wingers Rory Atkins and David Mackay to learn where to be in certain situations"

:eek:
He's learning how to take Mackay's role...but will do it his way. :)

I read that article just before on the AFL site. He's a bloody ripper, kid is going to star this year.
Trouser stretching

He's learning how to take Mackay's role...but will do it his way. :)
To be fair to McKay his positioning is pretty good. He has a footy brain.

Just does not have the size or skills to be better than a below average player at the biggest level. He is our whipping boy because he gets into the play a lot and then burns it or is out muscled.

Personally think he will end up a coach of some sort in his future.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

• Statistically, they are very similar. Petrenko averaged 11.7 disposals per game, CC averages 11.3. Petrenko averaged 3.7 tackles per game, CC averages 3.5.
The biggest difference between them is pace - Petrenko was reasonable, CC is electric.

Jared Petrenko is now a footnote in history - a player who couldn't get his hands on the ball often enough, and choked more often than not when kicking for goal. Right now, CC's record is very similar.

What does 2017 hold in store for CC? Can he take his game to a new level, having a real influence on games rather than just single quarter cameos? Can he get himself into the game continuously, improving his disposal counts as a result? Will he move into the midfield, or will he remain pigeon-holed as a defensive small forward?

He needs to be pushed into the middle more, maybe 60-70% of his game time and the rest in a small forward role. He showed in the swans finals match that he can do it and the coaches need to back him in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back