News Jimmy Bartel retirement - how was it handled?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was he up to playing again?
Prefer the Sam Mitchell /Jordan Lewis method?
What is the correct method?
He has not opted to play elsewhere...
I dont think the conjecture is on whether Jim should have been offered another contract so much as to how his departure was handled/communicated.
After reading Scotts comments in isolation in that piece i actually feel quite disappointed.
Will try to listen to the interview in full at some stage for further clarification.

Sorry Daz, I meant why would Chris Scott agitate it. Really weird thing to do.
CS can't control the questions he is asked.
If he responds diplomatically he is chastised for saying nothing. If he replies with honesty, it becomes an issue.
This sounds very much like build a bridge and both meet half way and have a coffee.

If he responds diplomatically he is chastised for saying nothing. If he replies with honesty, it becomes an issue.
This sounds very much like build a bridge and both meet half way and have a coffee.
That's certainly a glass half full view Vdubs.

I'd have preferred he deflected and took any criticism for that.

That's certainly a glass half full view Vdubs.

I'd have preferred he deflected and took any criticism for that.
Maybe his new modus operandi involves more upfrontness and honesty with communication..?

Maybe his new modus operandi involves more upfrontness and honesty with communication..?
If that's the case I hope openness is not at the expense of tact.

I don't think we've handled many of our recent champions retirements very well. Jimmy is a top bloke, we all know that, but he would've kept playing forever if they let him. I think he was the kind of guy who needed to be pushed to retire, not to be mean to him, but because his love of being a footy player. This all comes back to that contract clause that qualified him to play another year. He met the requirements to extend his contract, but the club didn't want him to play on. The only huge criticism I have of CS in this is he didn't attend Jimmy's exit interview. That was a s**t thing to do, no matter how he tried to sugar coat it on 360. He should've been there. Jimmy deserved that respect.

Bah Scott needs to go. Has been killing our culture like I've thought for years.

Explains why the players stopped putting everything on the line ever since he rocked up.

When people say johnson, bartel, chapman not treated well by the club, what do you think should be the outcome?

Ling, Ottens, Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and more have all ended time at the club without issue.

Its always going to be an issue when a player still thinks they should play on and the club does not.

Know when its time, and if youre not sure - ask the club, say you'll play if you're still wanted. Why would you want to stay on if they club doesn't think your the right option anymore?

Don't be selfish, club owes you nothing. Particularly a club like Geelong. They provided a great place for a career for all these players, if you dont want a bitter end, retire before it gets to that point. The true clubman always do!

When people say johnson, bartel, chapman not treated well by the club, what do you think should be the outcome?

Ling, Ottens, Scarlett, Milburn, Enright and more have all ended time at the club without issue.

Its always going to be an issue when a player still thinks they should play on and the club does not.

Know when its time, and if youre not sure - ask the club, say you'll play if you're still wanted. Why would you want to stay on if they club doesn't think your the right option anymore?

Don't be selfish, club owes you nothing. Particularly a club like Geelong. They provided a great place for a career for all these players, if you dont want a bitter end, retire before it gets to that point. The true clubman always do!

Agree with that. The only thing I'll add is some of those players were clearly in our best team and clearly had good footy left in them. Otherwise no argument at all. To be honest overall I think all clubs are too sentimental with players. None of them would ever retire voluntarily - who would walk away from that money? People should stop pretending all the "love of the game" garbage. Love of the pay cheque would be a bit higher on the priority list.

Agree with that. The only thing I'll add is some of those players were clearly in our best team and clearly had good footy left in them. Otherwise no argument at all. To be honest overall I think all clubs are too sentimental with players. None of them would ever retire voluntarily - who would walk away from that money? People should stop pretending all the "love of the game" garbage. Love of the pay cheque would be a bit higher on the priority list.
Yep. 99% of them are loathe to leave the lifestyle and coin that it all brings. But I would've thought Jimmy was grounded enough to know he was cooked a long way from home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A club 'retiring' champions usually causes angst and ramifications. All this is no surprise, yeah maybe it could have been done better...but if the champion wants to play on and the club wants him to go, what are the club to do? A hard and hurtful decision has to be made.

When Buddha was 'retired' by the club he was not happy with Thompson, but later on he realised it was the correct decision as his body was shot. Hopefully some time in the future Bartel will realise the right decision was made.

The club is bigger than the individual.

Scott doesnt need to be dropping digs like that into what he says. Moving on a club legend is fair enough if the coaches think the time is right for that. But coming out 6 months later and saying "Jim didnt handle it well" does nothing but cause unnecessary angst between the club and a former player. Just a sign of the immaturity that has plagued Scott throughout his career.

Scott doesnt need to be dropping digs like that into what he says. Moving on a club legend is fair enough if the coaches think the time is right for that. But coming out 6 months later and saying "Jim didnt handle it well" does nothing but cause unnecessary angst between the club and a former player. Just a sign of the immaturity that has plagued Scott throughout his career.
Doesn't seem to be the best way to endear himself to the growing grumblers out there by putting a club legend offside. Maybe he doesn't care about that but it's not ideal.

My issue is with KROCK releasing snippets of it for everyone to froth over for a few days before we get the whole thing in context.

Don't disagree at all with the decision the club made regarding Jimmy finishing up. He should have accepted that in the best interests of the club and you can clearly understand that would not have been easy for him.

But the coach has behaved poorly in this instance to not just wear any criticism he's obviously had from Jimbob without feeling the need to give him a clip publicly in response.

Not classy. Not clever. And not great to think that a real legend of the GFC is now going to feel a little estranged from the club until the protagonists sit down and sort this out.

Hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Immaturity is the least applicable description of Scott over his career. Usually the master of diplomacy. What was the context of his reply about Bartel? That has to be looked at. He never goes out to pot anyone to date; something must have triggered that. A few of our legends have nice media jobs and are liberty to say whatever. That is beside the point. I agree that Scott usually would be very diplomatic, and should have been, so what inspired this?

Doesn't seem to be the best way to endear himself to the growing grumblers out there by putting a club legend offside. Maybe he doesn't care about that but it's not ideal.

He seems to be having a melt due to the pressure building on him now that he's traded the future away for the now and keeps failing in finals. He's starting to be exposed as people look past 2011 to see what he really is, and he's not handling that well at all.

Seriously, people thought the way Ayres handled club champions was poor.
There is an awful lot of comparison between scott and ayers. Both made the gf in their first year using a team created by the previous coach. Both have been terribly average at handling retirement of star players. Both have been very defensively mindset. Both traded away lots of draft picks to try and build a side for the here and now and sacrifice the future after they are gone. Both had clear favourites resulting in bizarre team selections.

He seems to be having a melt due to the pressure building on him now that he's traded the future away for the now and keeps failing in finals. He's starting to be exposed as people look past 2011 to see what he really is, and he's not handling that well at all.

Well your post suits your agenda, but in fact, its total speculation.

For once I agree with Bobby_

Giving him another deal was tokenism. We have to evolve. If you want to live back 10 years then that's cool BF posters.

How do you explain his abrasive attitude?
Seems to correlate with the increased scrutiny he's been subjected to recently.

Irritation at the interviewer, a case of diarrhea, argument with the wife..I have no idea.....I'd just be speculating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back