Damien Hardwick - Sticking it up the doubters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply win a final then he has proven he can coach have to smile they have achieved nothing for how long. Home and away games only give you an opportunity to put in a position were you are in consideration.

Finals are the true test
I'm not sure about that, finals are the true test of a team I'm just not so sure it is as much of a true test of the coaches ability, the coach does a lot of his work early in the season or pre season to fail in one game even for three years in a row is not all about the coach, by then the players should already have it all down pat.

Then again having said that I guess you get the plaudits if you win flags so have to take the crap if you fail to win finals.

Not to mention we ended up with 4 more scoring shots against the pies however misses obviously only count when you lose the game.
My sister is a Collingwood supporter, I know every family has a black sheep, I had to laugh when she texted me that they would have won if they kicked accurately, I had to remind her that we had more misses and more scoring shots but yeah we've been very lucky to play all these teams on a bad day:rolleyes:

Anyway Collingwood can't say they were unlucky with their kicking because they've been the worst side in terms of accuracy over the last 5 rounds. At this point its no longer luck and is either due to them taking too many difficult shots due to game style or them just not being very good at kicking straight.

Reminds me of last year for Essendon where we moved the ball really slowly and were just rubbish in general so when we took marks in our forward 50 it was always on the boundary. So over the course of the season we were very inaccurate. That's not bad luck.

Curious as to what Richmond fans see as a pass mark for him to keep his job? Does he need to win a final? Just make finals? Just improve on last years performance?
Personally I think we need to make top 4 or win a final. Scraping into the 8 and losing won't do. The club, unfortunately may see the latter as a pass. He has a year to go on his contract so as long as they don't give him an extension, I could live with that (just).

Playing with confidence again. Realistically even if they lose this week it's not the end of the world.

It's really tough to see Adelaide losing at home right now but as long as the Tigers are competitive and don't get pumped by 10+ goals there should still be optimism.

I'm not sold yet. Have had some of the situation explained in the banter thread set up for the game between Adelaide and Richmond, destabilizing, coaches etc , but for me its not about this year its the last 7/8. There is a reason for the doubts.

Hope he does well this year but he hasn't changed my mind-yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's definitely done well so far but it's still early days and there seemingly is a long line of people wanting him to lose so they can stick the boot in.

To be fair to him, he did say last year when it became clear that the season was a write off that he felt we needed to take a 'half step backwards to go two steps forward'. He gave lots of kids a chance in the tail end of last season and it seems to be paying some dividends.

I think he has greatly been helped by the football audit the club completed last year. Clearing the decks and bringing in lots of new faces to support him. Caracella especially helped overhaul the stagnant gameplan we had and it seems our new system is working. Leppa returning and working with our forwards - especially young guys like Butler, Rioli, Castagna and even others who were seemingly on the outer such as Lennon. New coaches bring new ideas and that probably helped freshen up things tactically.

Maligned players like Ellis and Conca have been redeployed and reborn in roles they are currently playing quite well.

Recruitment also has played a big part. Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis have all been great additions. Caddy and Prestia may not yet have had huge breakout games just yet but they help carry the load and allow a rejuvenated Cotchin and Martin to play more attacking roles. Nank has been a beast in the ruck for us. All three also address our glaring weakness of last year (and previous seasons) of being a weak tackling, contested football team.

Finally, all the positive changes and fresh faces seems to have rejuvenated our senior players. Cotchin is getting back to his best and has added a harder edge to his game. Martin has started the season in a flurry by being allowed to play forward of center more often. Rance (although excellent again last season) has been inspired by improvement from guys like Astbury and Grimes to help make our defence the tightest in the league. Jack has been made a VC and seems to be playing better than he has in years. Even someone like Grigg is having his best start to a season probably ever.

In summary, there's lots of reasons for our improvement. We still need to be cautious of the extent of improvement though. Tough games on the horizon will show where we are at. It's likely (probable) we will lose more than we win in the next few rounds but we don't have anything to lose and a great start has removed the uncertainty over Dimma's coaching future (for the moment) and given us a good platform to try and finish in the top 8. Dimma probably doesn't deserve all the credit given the wide sweeping changes through the club but he definitely should get some of it.

Richmond have beat;

Carlton - lol
Collingwood - lol
WCE at the MCG - lol
Brisbane - lol
Melbourne - lol

Lets just cool our jets everyone. They have had the easiest run in the comp so far.

Get back to us in six months' time. If they make the eight and don't win a final, it's all moot. The ultimate act of sticking it to the doubters would be for the Tigers to win a final.

Agree. And I think you will find most Tiger supporters feel the same way.

Most of us at the moment are simply over the moon with:

- wins on the board
- gameplan (last year was abysmal). Have some of you forgotten how bad we played. Anyone remember that West Coast game??
- improvement being shown by almost all our kids
- stars standing up

It's a bloody long season. We have shown significant improvement TO DATE on last year.

Bring on Sunday where the team get to test themselves against what is clearly a gun team in the Crows. Not expecting a win but in some cases, its how you lose rather than the win.

Richmond have beat;

Carlton - lol
Collingwood - lol
WCE at the MCG - lol
Brisbane - lol
Melbourne - lol

Lets just cool our jets everyone. They have had the easiest run in the comp so far.
Three of those teams were favoured to beat us prior to the game and most had us in their bottom 4.

Might be in the minority but Richmond under Hardwick has been a solid team that has had some poor games and some annoying setbacks.

In 2015 I reckon they were just one bad finals game away from possibly taking the chocolates. They beat freo in Perth when they were on their unbeaten run and also Hawthorn when they were dominant during the home and away season.

All too true but to win one you have to make one...tracking ok, so far.

My best mate is a Richmond fan and we have an annual slab bet on who finishes higher. Suffice to say I have done OK off that.

I have been teasing him with the scenario where after all season in the top 4, the Tiges fade late and just miss out, finishing 5th on percentage.

North hit their straps and make a late season charge, sneaking into the 8 on the last kick of the final round.

Then there it is. 5th vers(ing)us 8th. Sunday arvo Elimination Final at the MCG.

Jarrad Waite in what he knows will be his last season. One last effort. One last hurrah.

Curious as to what Richmond fans see as a pass mark for him to keep his job? Does he need to win a final? Just make finals? Just improve on last years performance?
He has another year, which will be honoured, so it's probably more building on this year.

He's definitely done well so far but it's still early days and there seemingly is a long line of people wanting him to lose so they can stick the boot in.

To be fair to him, he did say last year when it became clear that the season was a write off that he felt we needed to take a 'half step backwards to go two steps forward'. He gave lots of kids a chance in the tail end of last season and it seems to be paying some dividends.

I think he has greatly been helped by the football audit the club completed last year. Clearing the decks and bringing in lots of new faces to support him. Caracella especially helped overhaul the stagnant gameplan we had and it seems our new system is working. Leppa returning and working with our forwards - especially young guys like Butler, Rioli, Castagna and even others who were seemingly on the outer such as Lennon. New coaches bring new ideas and that probably helped freshen up things tactically.

Maligned players like Ellis and Conca have been redeployed and reborn in roles they are currently playing quite well.

Recruitment also has played a big part. Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis have all been great additions. Caddy and Prestia may not yet have had huge breakout games just yet but they help carry the load and allow a rejuvenated Cotchin and Martin to play more attacking roles. Nank has been a beast in the ruck for us. All three also address our glaring weakness of last year (and previous seasons) of being a weak tackling, contested football team.

Finally, all the positive changes and fresh faces seems to have rejuvenated our senior players. Cotchin is getting back to his best and has added a harder edge to his game. Martin has started the season in a flurry by being allowed to play forward of center more often. Rance (although excellent again last season) has been inspired by improvement from guys like Astbury and Grimes to help make our defence the tightest in the league. Jack has been made a VC and seems to be playing better than he has in years. Even someone like Grigg is having his best start to a season probably ever.

In summary, there's lots of reasons for our improvement. We still need to be cautious of the extent of improvement though. Tough games on the horizon will show where we are at. It's likely (probable) we will lose more than we win in the next few rounds but we don't have anything to lose and a great start has removed the uncertainty over Dimma's coaching future (for the moment) and given us a good platform to try and finish in the top 8. Dimma probably doesn't deserve all the credit given the wide sweeping changes through the club but he definitely should get some of it.
Nicely put but surely not as good as this...
upload_2017-4-28_11-49-10.png
In Rafa We Trust.

Richmond have beat;

Carlton - lol
Collingwood - lol
WCE at the MCG - lol
Brisbane - lol
Melbourne - lol

I know, not as good as North who have beat...Oh s**t! :p

My best mate is a Richmond fan and we have an annual slab bet on who finishes higher. Suffice to say I have done OK off that.

I have been teasing him with the scenario where after all season in the top 4, the Tiges fade late and just miss out, finishing 5th on percentage.

North hit their straps and make a late season charge, sneaking into the 8 on the last kick of the final round.

Then there it is. 5th vers(ing)us 8th. Sunday arvo Elimination Final at the MCG.

Jarrad Waite in what he knows will be his last season. One last effort. One last hurrah.
That happened and is history, can't change it.
Funnily enough even though we were second best all night we almost won it.
If it wasn't for the worst non decision in football, no in sporting history, when Edwards caught Cunnington cold we may have stolen it.
But I'm not still bitter, I'm not. Really I'm not. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am a Hardwick man and whilst last year was abysmal (coaching, playing, the whole lot), I feel he has shown he can coach. Bringing in new assistants has been a master stroke. FFS, Brendan Lade was our mids coach last year. Enough said.

As strong a supporter of Hardwick that I am, I still think he needs to win a final. Massive improvement on last year but if we go into a finals game with a decent enough squad (talking injuries), then we need to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back