Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. I think it must just about be a record but the Bombers play 11 of their home and away games against interstate sides in 2017. 5 home games Vs interstate sides at Ethihad. This must just about be the most of all the bigger clubs in 2017 by virtue of a lowly finish in 2016. Both GWS and the Suns away, only one of the SA clubs at their big home ground and away to the smaller WA club. Makes it hard to top 1M for the year irrespective of the teams form. One of the outcomes of an 18 team competition.

Yes, Collingwood aren't much different this year. In fact, Collingwood and Essendon have 13 fixtures with the exact same opponent/venue and 5 games against the same interstate or low drawing Vic opponents at our different home grounds. That leaves only 4 substantially different games, 2 slightly in Essendon's favour (from a crowd viewpoint) and 2 more substantially in Collingwood's.

Fair to say they're a chance of breaking the all-time Dreamtime crowd record. Weather looks perfect at this stage.

This is a huge Richmond V Essendon in that he winner gets a real bounce in trying to have a run at the top 4.

Richmond have lost 4 on the bounce but only the Crows game was a blow out. We have won or could have won every other game. Essendon are doing well enough to retain the surge.

Low 80s.

This is a huge Richmond V Essendon in that he winner gets a real bounce in trying to have a run at the top 4.

Richmond have lost 4 on the bounce but only the Crows game was a blow out. We have won or could have won every other game. Essendon are doing well enough to retain the surge.

Low 80s.

I checked for tickets yesterday and there were still plenty GA tickets for sale I think high 80s if the weather is ok

Even factoring in the appeal of the Dreamtime concept, pretty amazing that this is going to be such a high crowd considering these two sides look like being mid-table also-rans yet again this season.

On a broader level this has been happening for a fair few years; both these sides are the current leaders in most years without winning a final (yes, even longer than Melbourne) and neither has finished top 4 since 2001 yet during the time the support has been highly resilient.

Even though the Essendon and West Coast crowd was about average, I thought it was lighter than it should have been.

If Dreamtime does reach 80k that would be an extraordinary effort considering both teams are really just mid-table plodders at the moment.
The scuttlebutt in the press about this possibly being 90,000 are well off the mark.

Richmond don't have a big AFL membership following and to get over 80,000 you need the AFL reserve to be almost full. In previous years where this game has drawn over 80,000, the overflow from a huge GA walk up on the night into the AFL reserve ensured the above 80,000 crowd. This also occurred ANZAC eve. Talk of HUGE crowds only increases the likelihood of a lower walk up GA crowd on the night. This means a potentially 'disappointing' crowd if 78-80,000.

We shall see soon enough.

The scuttlebutt in the press about this possibly being 90,000 are well off the mark.

Richmond don't have a big AFL membership following and to get over 80,000 you need the AFL reserve to be almost full. In previous years where this game has drawn over 80,000, the overflow from a huge GA walk up on the night into the AFL reserve ensured the above 80,000 crowd. This also occurred ANZAC eve. Talk of HUGE crowds only increases the likelihood of a lower walk up GA crowd on the night. This means a potentially 'disappointing' crowd if 78-80,000.

We shall see soon enough.
Usually I agree; however they are selling the back few rows of the AFL Members, which would imply a fair number sold already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually I agree; however they are selling the back few rows of the AFL Members, which would imply a fair number sold already.
I'm not privy to what they're selling in the AFL members however they may well be selling the back rows on level 4 on the wing but they probably haven't sold many of the seats on level 4 in the areas around bay 25-28... This area is the section unlikely to be utilised on Saturday night and requires GA walk ups to fill these bays to get over 80,000.

I'm not privy to what they're selling in the AFL members however they may well be selling the back rows on level 4 on the wing but they probably haven't sold many of the seats on level 4 in the areas around bay 25-28... This area is the section unlikely to be utilised on Saturday night and requires GA walk ups to fill these bays to get over 80,000.

I hate it when all the pundits are saying the game will get over 90,000 then it dosent
The MCC would have the best idea on current ticket sales and I dont see them commenting so far.
Nowadays everything has to go right for a H&A match to pull over 85,000 esp with live TV against the gate.

Just getting 80k is a fantastic result.

101fe63ee06a4941c8fbfe8c110a0b28.jpg

85-90 estimated now and the MCG usually aren't that far off the mark.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't remember the last home and away lock out at the MCG, can anyone else enlighten me ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I haven't read anywhere tickets are almost sold out, or only 800 left. Also doubt they have sold the MCC sections bay 37-40. Afl members Also unlikely to be full.

Updates on GA areas tomorrow. I still think low 80's unless there's a massive MCC walk up or the AFL section is sold out.. There still selling visitor tickets into the MCC which indicates they're not expecting a sellout turnout in this reserve. Still a great crowd is almost a certainty which is great for this occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back