The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Spurs get Chris Paul in the off-season what does that mean for their chances of returning to the Finals? How well would Paul fit with the Spurs current roster and system? Saw an article today that suggested a younger point guard such as Eric Bledsoe might be a better fit for Kawhi to develop with in the future, also in a much cheaper price range.

Chris Paul would slot in perfectly at the Spurs alongside Kawhi and Aldridge.

However, Bledsoe would be great too, it's what we're lacking at the moment, as good as Parker has been he just hasn't got the legs anymore. We get a good PG and we will have another solid season next year, whether we can return to the finals and win it? Who knows, GSW and Cavs will take some beating for a couple more years yet.

Rudy Gay is a good signing, 2 years $8mil, very happy with that for a guy who averages 18ppg.

Welcome Rudy!!

Not sure what to think of it... But for the figures you just quoted, it's difficult to think it can hurt too much... One of those "You never know what Pop can get out of him" signings.

Not sure what to think of it... But for the figures you just quoted, it's difficult to think it can hurt too much... One of those "You never know what Pop can get out of him" signings.

yep - I think Gay is basically an upgrade in case Jonathon Simmons leaves (who could get similar money elsewhere), or if Manu retires. Also in case we wanted to blow things up a bit, is a useful pairing with Kawhi if we wanted to trade out Green.

That being said, I really hope there's an option in there after 1 year.
Because with how last season ended, part of me thinks our best bet going forward is just to hold tight this year, and then hit next off-season with Kawhi, a bunch of rookie deals, and a whole heap of cap space, (Mills will also be contracted, but, depending on Gasol and Simmon's new deals, everyone else will be either out of contract or on an option I think) and just see what we can build around him... I dont think this continuous rebuilding on the run, without cap-space is gonna work anymore against someone like GSW.

yep - I think Gay is basically an upgrade in case Jonathon Simmons leaves (who could get similar money elsewhere), or if Manu retires. Also in case we wanted to blow things up a bit, is a useful pairing with Kawhi if we wanted to trade out Green.

That being said, I really hope there's an option in there after 1 year.
Because with how last season ended, part of me thinks our best bet going forward is just to hold tight this year, and then hit next off-season with Kawhi, a bunch of rookie deals, and a whole heap of cap space, (Mills will also be contracted, but, depending on Gasol and Simmon's new deals, everyone else will be either out of contract or on an option I think) and just see what we can build around him... I dont think this continuous rebuilding on the run, without cap-space is gonna work anymore against someone like GSW.

I know it's the way the Spurs always do it (ie: quietly), but I've been a little surprised at the lack of reports re: Simmons & Green over the past week. It might be a sign that they both stay. And Manu's decision is probably up to him.

I agree with you moving forward. Unsure who the eventual target(s) will be, but there could be many options and there is definitely an opportunity to free up lots of cap room over the next year or so. In a way, it's why the Patty Mills contract surprised me a little.

I know it's the way the Spurs always do it (ie: quietly), but I've been a little surprised at the lack of reports re: Simmons & Green over the past week. It might be a sign that they both stay. And Manu's decision is probably up to him.

I agree with you moving forward. Unsure who the eventual target(s) will be, but there could be many options and there is definitely an opportunity to free up lots of cap room over the next year or so. In a way, it's why the Patty Mills contract surprised me a little.

Simmons is interesting... there was word that Houston were after him (but also rumours that that was just to price us out of chris paul)... the less i hear the more i think he stays on 5-8/yr contract

Also no word on what Pau's new deal.

Green and LMA are both in the - trade if a good deal ends up on our table i reckon. Not sure how actively we would be shopping them, but i think only Kawhi (& Tony/Manu) would be hands off in a trade

Dedmon looks like he's off to Atlanta. What to do now? Play smaller (like most other teams are doing) or try and find the next cheap Dedmon?

Seems a trend now with Splitter, Baynes, Bobo & now Dedmon all moving on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dedmon looks like he's off to Atlanta. What to do now? Play smaller (like most other teams are doing) or try and find the next cheap Dedmon?

Seems a trend now with Splitter, Baynes, Bobo & now Dedmon all moving on!

Its just a result of long term success and never having had cap space to chase anyone significant (bar LMA) that most of these guys end up on short minimum contracts and then when that runs out move elsewhere on a larger (often overpaid) contract.

Its just a result of long term success and never having had cap space to chase anyone significant (bar LMA) that most of these guys end up on short minimum contracts and then when that runs out move elsewhere on a larger (often overpaid) contract.

The next man to play the role looks set to be: Joffrey Lauvergne, the Frenchman who played at the Thunder & Bulls last season.

Yeah that sucks, wanted to keep Simmons.

We really need a PG!!

Rudy Gay is basically a like-for-like significant upgrade (IMO) on Simmons at not much more of a cost. Yes it was great seeing what Simmons could do when given the opportunity, and I would've loved the Spurs to be able to keep him, he may well end up joining the long list of guys who look like they overachieve under Pop and don't do a whole lot else after they move on. Hopefully he does well at the Magic, but I don't think he will be a big loss for us.
I actually think Dedmon is gonna be a much more noticeable loss. Neither LMA, Pau (assuming he resigns) or Bertrans provide much defensive presence and I know very little about Lauvergne.

A 'younger' elite PG would be great to have alongside Kawhi, but unless we could snag one of the top guys who have been on the market (and I reckon we made efforts at all of Paul, Lowry and Conley last year) who would be a clear improvement on TP, then another season of TP, Mills and Dejounte isn't the worst thing in the world.

So with Manu confirmed to be going around again, and the reports that Pau was going to be resigned after adjusting his deal to create some cap space, though no figures yet on either deal, this is what our lineup is looking like currently:

C: Pau (?), Lauvergne
PF: LMA, Bertrans
SF: Kawhi, Gay, Anderson
SG: Green, Manu, Forbes, Paul (B. not C.)
PG: Mills, TP, Dejounte, White

Given his stellar summer league play, Forbes may well jump ahead of Manu, and I'm already tipping that Patty takes over the starting role more permanently this season. Also Brandon Paul probably only a depth signing and likely to spend the year in Austin.

I also reckon the signing of Gay gives us more flexibility to go small more successfully (LMA, Kawhi, Gay, Green & one of TP/Mills) as he adds a 3rd playmaker without being exposed by going too small in the backcourt (any lineup with 2 of TP, Mills and Manu).

I am also hoping that Bertrans can find a way to be consistently useful as a stretch 4 without being a defensive liability - I think that could make a big difference to how this season plays out. Might even allow us to have Pau coming off the bench as a focal point against backup frontcourts.

I still expect some movement in the front court, whether its bringing back David Lee, getting a vet FA or finding the next Baynes/Bobo/Dedmon, or elevating one of our former draftees (none whom have really been putting their hands up).
Other than that, can't really see any big movement to come for the time being.
(Trading LMA or Green not really gonna happen unless we see a pretty good offer, or really struggle before the deadline... any chance we could get NY to bite on the pair of them for Melo and Porzingis? - the salaries work, lol)

For anyone who hasn't seen in the main off-season thread, Kyrie is asking for a trade from Cleveland and we are one of the 4 nominated destinations.

This was my post in that thread:
I don't like our chances of getting a trade done.

The only positive is that the Cavs were looking at Danny Green earlier this off-season, and if they sign Rose then that is less of a need for them wanting a top PG in return.
To get salaries to match we would probably have to include someone like LMA (would Cavs want?), Parker (ditto, and we arent the kind of team to trade him out unless he asks) or Gasol (in a sign/trade - and ditto to the above two).

Best bet is probably getting a 3rd team that would take LMA, they could send a good PG to the Cavs (in addition to Green), and we get Kyrie (Cavs) and a draft pick/smaller peice (from team 3).

Any takers?

I'm gonna try and use Trade Machine to see if I find anywhere suitable.

Thoughts?

I am also hoping that Bertrans can find a way to be consistently useful as a stretch 4 without being a defensive liability - I think that could make a big difference to how this season plays out. Might even allow us to have Pau coming off the bench as a focal point against backup frontcourts.

I still expect some movement in the front court, whether its bringing back David Lee, getting a vet FA or finding the next Baynes/Bobo/Dedmon, or elevating one of our former draftees (none whom have really been putting their hands up).

Other than that, can't really see any big movement to come for the time being. (Trading LMA or Green not really gonna happen unless we see a pretty good offer, or really struggle before the deadline... any chance we could get NY to bite on the pair of them for Melo and Porzingis? - the salaries work, lol)

Yeah, Bertans continuing to improve is going to be very important. It sounds contradictory, but even now, he's a kind of boom or bust type player. I'm a little concerned he's going to be asked to do too much / improve too dramatically.

I'd actually forgotten about Lee's situation. He has his deficiencies, but I really liked what he gave us last season. It would be a shame to see him leave, but with current developments, then he's going to have to wait, as such. Even as it is on the depth chart as is, have we over-balanced and gone too small? Finding the next Bobo/Baynes/Dedmon might not be all that easy anymore.

As for Kyrie, I agree that a 3rd team that covets LMA is going to be the key. One thing I keep coming back to is: Did we make the correct call on Patty? I know, it's UnAustralian, but I was surprised. I also reckon we made a play at George Hill, but they saw slightly better (although still not cheap) value in Patty. Then again, if Kyrie does come in and it's LMA & Green that make way, Patty might become the starting SG (Pau, Bertans, Kawhi, Patty, Kyrie). Kawhi's good enough to defend for 4 others, isn't he?

Either way, it could be an interesting few days where lots of important decisions are to be made... QUICKLY! Do the Spurs be cautious & fence-sit?

Last edited:
Yeah, Bertans continuing to improve is going to be very important. It sounds contradictory, but even now, he's a kind of boom or bust type player. I'm a little concerned he's going to be asked to do too much / improve too dramatically.

I'd actually forgotten about Lee's situation. He has his deficiencies, but I really liked what he gave us last season. It would be a shame to see him leave, but with current developments, then he's going to have to wait, as such. Even as it is on the depth chart as is, have we over-balanced and gone too small? Finding the next Bobo/Baynes/Dedmon might not be all that easy anymore.

As for Kyrie, I agree that a 3rd team that covets LMA is going to be the key. One thing I keep coming back to is: Did we make the correct call on Patty? I know, it's UnAustralian, but I was surprised. I also reckon we made a play at George Hill, but they saw slightly better (although still not cheap) value in Patty. Then again, if Kyrie does come in and it's LMA & Green that make way, Patty might become the starting SG (Pau, Bertans, Kawhi, Patty, Kyrie). Kawhi's good enough to defend for 4 others, isn't he?

Either way, it could be an interesting few days where lots of important decisions are to be made... QUICKLY! Do the Spurs be cautious & fence-sit?
Honestly they need to stay away from Kyrie, something stinks there, not sure what it is but something isn't right. Do you really want a guy who is sooking that he's not getting the lime light coming to a team that naturally shunns building star individuals ?

I think team balance would be thrown out by moving LMA, Bertains isn't good enough to hold down 4(and sometimes the 5 spot) and Gasol's feet are really old and slow when defending more than 3 feet away from the ring(not that LMA is great with this either).

Strange off season for us with signings, Gay's ok but a crap defender, Lav is a decent offensive big man but D??? Simmons going is an odd one, thought he could pick up minutes with the Klaw playing more point3 and with Ginobili playing less and at the price the Magic paid I would have thought it would have been worth bringing him back.

but hey stuff 'Trusting the Process' - gotta Trust The Pop!

Kyrie coming would potentially throws things about for next season but the season after is where we would get the final pieces to the puzzle.

I still hope we have a crack at him but don't think we will get it done, I think Kyrie is Knicks bound.

Kyrie coming would potentially throws things about for next season but the season after is where we would get the final pieces to the puzzle.

I still hope we have a crack at him but don't think we will get it done, I think Kyrie is Knicks bound.
Like all good talent going to Knicks, he'll rot there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back