Ben Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeing the Hird thread prompted me to make this one.

Don't like the way this blokes been treated. People love ya when you're flying high ( pardon the pun ) but kick you when you're down.

Everyone was riding the Cousins utensil carousel even when he was on the drugs. They turn pretty quick when you're not at the top anymore .

Thy shall not judge. Those that do, what have you did in your darkest moments. What are your deep secrets and sins no one knows about?

Everyone knows somebody that has or still is struggling with a drug addiction or addiction/mental illness . People are pretty quick to point fingers and turn on one another.

Love you when you're successful/famous. Hate you when you're not.

Double standards and poor nature.

People love ya when you're flying high ( pardon the pun ) but kick you when you're down.

now you know how female actors feel in Hollywood when they turn 40

q7nqBUb_zpsyctavidt.gif

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Everyone loved Ben Cousins the footballer. And everyone appreciates what a sad situation he is now in. I don't think you would find anyone, football fan or not, who doesn't wish Cousins all the best as he battles his personal problems.

I think most rational people realise that meth makes people do irrational things, that most people feel sorry for the dude

not really.
I don't feel sorry for him one little bit.
He's had plenty of opportunities to grab someone's hand and worst of all, this is a guy who has access to the very best professionals in the country.
Go for a wonder down Church Street in Richmond and you will see how unfortunate some people really are.

not really.
He's had plenty of opportunities to grab someone's hand and worst of all, this is a guy who has access to the very best professionals in the country.
Go for a wonder down Church Street in Richmond and you will see how unfortunate some people really are.
Addiction doesn't discriminate.

not really.

Its Bryan & the family that I really feel for .. Ben lies in his own bed.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...stood-beside-ben-cousins-20170329-gv96ar.html

I only realised this week that he has kids.

My heart is pretty heavy over the whole situation and that makes it 10 times worse. Addiction does indeed make a mess of people but the idea of responsibility isn't exclusive to non-drug addicts.

For starters, no one forced him to start in the first place so he has that aspect on his rap sheet. Secondly there have clearly been times when he's been clear and capable of making decisions and so far he hasn't made many good ones.

If he gets himself cleaned up wonder if he'll ride the express elevator back to the big time like Hird and Carey?

I highly doubt it, with the amount of meth Cousins has done over a prolonged period he has probably done irreparable damage to his brain and won't ever be the same person he once was.

Hird and Carey's issues pale into insignificance compared to Cousins issues, they're both capable of repairing their careers in the AFL industry but I doubt Cousins will be capable of that unless he has some miraculous turnaround.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not really.
Just because someone else has it worse doesn't mean it isn't a bad situation.
I'd say that Cousins has himself to blame for getting addicted to drugs, but there are so many factors at play that would have led him to the situation he is in, and so many more that we don't even know about, and for that reason most people do feel a lot of sympathy for him.

While I'm sorry that Bens life has spiralled out of control, facts are he likes the lifestyle so I'm fresh out of sympathy for where he finds himself now.

I can't imagine what this has cost his family - emotionally, physically and monetary and that's where my sympathy lies. It also lies with two kids where no matter how much he loves them, they weren't as important as where his next hit was coming from and that's some baggage you take into adulthood - that's where my sympathy lies

Seeing the Hird thread prompted me to make this one.

Don't like the way this blokes been treated. People love ya when you're flying high ( pardon the pun ) but kick you when you're down.

Everyone was riding the Cousins utensil carousel even when he was on the drugs. They turn pretty quick when you're not at the top anymore .

Thy shall not judge. Those that do, what have you did in your darkest moments. What are your deep secrets and sins no one knows about?

Everyone knows somebody that has or still is struggling with a drug addiction or addiction/mental illness . People are pretty quick to point fingers and turn on one another.

Love you when you're successful/famous. Hate you when you're not.

Double standards and poor nature.

He isn't playing footy anymore. That is what happens. He isn't on the football field, and he isn't in the media. The evolution of a successful athlete can be harsh. Especially once they are no longer performing. Hangers on around local leagues are probably comparative to Oz media. When you are playing and playing well - they want to lick your shaft. But when you are no longer useless - then you are just another loser who isn't playing footy. Cousins probably hasn't helped himself though. But I do hope he gets well.

Am i bias in suggesting that because of his drug use (recreational) this has made him massively underrated among the media?

Once in a generation player at his peak imo.

Funny considering they all cream all over themselves over Carey and we all know he was on the hard stuff off the field also.

Just goes to show how powerful it is when his kids aren't enough to pull him away.

Bad situation all around, no winners in this one.

Am i bias in suggesting that because of his drug use (recreational) this has made him massively underrated among the media?

Once in a generation player at his peak imo.

Funny considering they all cream all over themselves over Carey and we all know he was on the hard stuff off the field also.

Nah, just a very good midfielder of which there are many more of.

Carey, as player only, deserves all the accolades he has had come his way. He was a once in a generation player.

Carey, as player only, deserves all the accolades he has had come his way. He was a once in a generation player.
Yeah maybe i am putting a bit of mayonnaise on his abilities. Would have been fascinating to see how great Ben could have been without drugs, his career was essentially derailed at 28. Would have been our first 300 gamer if it wasnt for the gear.

I am biased as hell when it comes to Ben Cousins, but he is close to that, and so under rated because of his personal problems. He used to drag West Coast to wins in 01/02 when we weren't very good simply through willpower. Under rated captain too. It is quite instructive when you have guys like Sam Butler still say that he was the best on field leader they have seen. He was an elite center man and half forward, and had more courage than what you would think, given his appearance. Will never forget him cannoning into two Swans players in the last quarter of the 05 GF. He was worth more to us than Judd, Kerr or anyone else in history. Legend isn't a tag people should use lightly, but Ben Cousins was certainly one for his football exploits and what he did for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back