Preview Round 23 Geelong vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a soft spot for Josh because of his grandfather,(clouded my judgment,)but was never a fan of Kersten at AFL level.

He played a few good matches and would always show glimpses but then turn invisible. That hanger he took in our losing QF to the Hawks was insane.

Richmond's % gain from today has made a significant difference. If we win next week (causing GWS's % to drop) and Richmond beat St Kilda by a decent margin (which I expect), then we'll be up against Richmond at the G in the first final. The more we win by (if we win), the more likely that scenario becomes.
Tiggies under 2% behind GWS but still I wouldnt expect them to hose St Kilda or for us to trash GWS.

From a selfish pov, a Geelong v Tigie final is much cheaper for me at the G compared to a KP final, so I won't complain either way

We are only assuming we would get to play GWS at KP in a final if thats how it turned out, nowhere by the AFL has it been stated that would be the case, they could still make it at the G or Etihad. Personally i dont think we will beat them next week so im expecting to play Adelaide in Adelaide first final.

Going to have to play far better than we did today.

Bring that to the table and we'll be going to GWS with our tail between our legs
Still a chance we'll finish fourth with a loss and head to Adelaide.
The excitement of a win leading to a repeat two weeks later at Simonds with Selwood, Cockatoo and Blitz back is palpable. Go Catters

No Cunico please... we need players who are at least a chance of playing finals. Would prefer Lang.
This is true, however, statistically speaking, Cunico has edged out Lang in the past few VFL games. Either way, Cunico is still an upgrade on Simpson, but Lang maybe the better option for upside.

Remember when the Walker and Kersten combo was going to be the next Mooney and Nathan Ablett? Good times.

LOL.....I don't remember that.....both were maligned basically from day 1....

I get the humour tho...

We come for the flag. We'll beat whatever team standing in our way.

How to manage that annoying bye could be a bigger challenge for the team and CS? (As a lot of guys are worrying) We're well known not handling bye well. Every team will try to exploit that weakness happily.

Since we passed Calton and Pie, two big hurdles. The bye is the last one(two).

Go Catts!!!

Last edited:
We come for the flag. We'll beat whatever team standing in our way.

How to manage that annoying bye could be a bigger challenge for the team and CS? We're well known not handling bye well.
It's not the first bye that gets you, but the second.

I feel quietly confident that the two teams that win their QF will lose their prelims again this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not convinced GWS will handle Simonds well, expect we can close it down effectively and force them into long bombs.

Harry back, Hawkins in.
We bomb it in more than most teams anyway. With Patton and Lobb down there we just make sure we don't get outmarked and then try and lock it in. I'm predicting it will be a crappy game to watch and quite low scoring.

Out: Zuthrie, Simpson, Buzza
In: Hawkins, Stanley, Parfitt

Bews Lonergan Henderson
Tuohy Taylor Stewart
Menegola S.Selwood Mackie
Parfitt Stanley Parsons
Motlop Hawk Menzel
Smith Duncan Dangerfield
Guthrie Kolo, Murdoch, Thurlow
EM Lang Ruggles Cunico Buzza

Big question is who comes out of above team if Blitz, Cocky and Selwood come back first week of finals

As much as I don't want to nominate, the only ones who could be dropped on form are
Thurlow
Kolo
Stanley
Motlop
Menzel

I wouldn't drop the last two, but the decisions are going to get very hard
Maybe if Stanley plays this week and performs, he may be retained in preference to Blitz
Who knows
I'd most certainly like to see the indigenous trio in the team. With Parsons and Menz to light the forward line up. I think Stanley could potentially be the trump card in finals. A few goals could see him contributing big. Scoreboard pressure is what we've lacked and we need to bring it if we are to contend. Stanley, Hawk and Taylor would be best fit with Motters, Cocky, Parfitt, Menz, Danger, Murdoch, Selwoods, Duncan, Guthrie scouting beneath them.
Blitz is a great fit in our team, but goals are our main need. I50s need to be capitalised on this year in finals.

It's a crucial game. The advantage to stay in melb is enormous. It also does all the good to our confidence. Expect Hawk and Lang to play. Parfitt and Ruggles may be. I feel only club we fear is the swans, rest we are even to beat them especially if it's in melb.

um no. why would you think that? especially if teams are resting players.

think 89 finals. bombers thump geelong and then two weeks later geelong beat bombers by 90 points.
Was there for both.
What about the whacky 92 finals series.?
Played 4 games.
1. Beat Dogs.
2. Done by WCE.
3. Beat Dogs.
4. Done by WCE GF.

Remember when the Walker and Kersten combo was going to be the next Mooney and Nathan Ablett? Good times.
That was after Mitch Brown was to be the next KF hope, til injuries wrecked his start and confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back