Are North Being Too Impatient With Their Rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have the cap space you'd be insane to not have a crack at guys like Kelly and Martin. Should be going strong for Stringet too. It's not 30 year old journeyman they're trying to get

You're ignoring the leadership aspect of my argument.

Gutting a club rapidly of it's senior players is rarely a good idea. (See Melbourne circa 2008, Richmond 2007, Brisbane 2014, ect).

My argument is that with any successful transition process, a club would be wise to retain it's more valuable veterans in order to pass on desirable qualities onto the next generation.

I'm not implying that Boomer should be playing forever, I think that his on-field presence is more valuable than a top 4 pick in what is considered to be a weak draft.

North's record in close games hasn't been very good since Scott has been coach. Having Boomer in the team this year wouldn't have made any difference.
Boomer's time was up and it was time to bring in a young player. Giving that player 12 months of experience was a benefit to the club.
North is not a club that has finished bottom and had the early draft picks. We haven't finished bottom 4 for a long time. Unlike some clubs we can't finish too low because the relocation talk starts and our future gets questioned.
All the talk of offers has been driven by the media.
As a North member i am happy that the club is trying to entice quality players to the club. You have to be in it to win it and if you don't succeed you try again.

This is exactly the problem.

Unless they show significant improvement, good players are going to bypass them and they'll stay a mediocre team. They've still got a lot of players to cycle out of their current team, which will mean some big gaps in their list in years to come.

It makes sense to lure some big names, but they are offering some huge contracts and still being rejected. It makes sense in the current situation, but it'll be troubling in a few years when they should be making a push up the ladder. Even when they were a decent mid-table team they struggled to attract talent and mostly went after older players looking for a big final contract.

Still haven't shown they can produce elite talent, apart from a few guns, but to be fair they haven't had the luxury of early selections.
A lot of players to cycle out?

Swallow, Gibson, Thompson and Waite.

Swallow: A slow poorly skilled inside mid ATM. Dumont has replaced him.

Gibson: A very average midfielder with average skills, easily replaceable.

Thompson: Vickers-Willis, McKay and Neilson, his replacements are already getting games.

Waite: Wood and Durdin are handy replacements.

Outside mids and class, that is the only real gap for the next few years.

Swallow: A slow poorly skilled inside mid ATM. Dumont has replaced him.

Gibson: A very average midfielder with average skills, easily replaceable.

Thompson: Vickers-Willis, McKay and Neilson, his replacements are already getting games.

Waite: Wood and Durdin are handy replacements.

Well you also still had Thomas and Hansen on your list rd 23 (both played actually IIRC). So really you should add those 2.

Goldy and Higgins a coupld more who may not need to be cycled out for 2018 but 2019 probably.

Well you also still had Thomas and Hansen on your list rd 23 (both played actually IIRC). So really you should add those 2.

Goldy and Higgins a coupld more who may not need to be cycled out for 2018 but 2019 probably.
Thomas and Hansen essentially got farewell games (they didn't earn their spots) and played a lot of the year in the vfl, Hansen is already gone anyway, so your point is rather moot.

Pruess is a fine enough replacement for Goldstein. Higgins would be hard to replace, but that's at least two years away, so we'll hit the draft for a few classy mids.

And not one of those 11 recieved a rising star nomination
I wouldn't stake much on that award.

Hayward won a nomination for 3 disposals.

Ryan Clarke averaged 25 disposals for over the last month, didn't get a nomination.

One season into a rebuild and its being rushed?

I don't blame management for trying to pick up some very good footballers, but the way it played out in the media was a bit odious. The board only said they approved going after the players, where did the figures keep coming from?

With regards to player development, the delistings last year helped in my opinion. If we were once again relying on boomer and dal to move the ball its taking away from opportunities for the kids to have a crack, which they did this year, and hopefully next year will be the better for it.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with anything we have done this off season-
-delisting people not performing
-assistant coach changes
-trying to sign plyers when we can afford to
-Brown is in contract talks for renewal
-injured players already done with surgery

Only thing i hope for next year is a healthy run for the list so i actually get to see them play.

Ryan Clarke averaged 25 disposals for over the last month, didn't get a nomination.

3 disposals for 3 goals.

Hayward kicked 22 goals for the year in 17 games, Which would have have placed him second in norths goal kicking.

We have 15 players on the books that we have drafted in the previous 3 years.
Are any of them any good?

All pre-season we heard that guys like Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Neilson, Hibberd, Clarke, Turner, etc. would just walk into the best 22 to replace the retiring stars and keep North out of the bottom 4. They were young guns just waiting for a chance to show their worth, and would be the ones to lead North's quicker-than-expected revival. A bottom 4 finish and 0 Rising Star nominations later...

I don't see how trying to be proactive and acquire important cogs to a rebuild is being impatient. It just shows how serious and determined they are about trying to get back on the right track. Even if some ideal targets do fall through - I'm sure the recruiting will still get what they need come the draft and trade period this year - and next year, and the next.

So 'only' 4 named players plus an unspecified large number more that need to be upgraded?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And not one of those 11 recieved a rising star nomination

- Simpkin got injured
- Vickers - Willis got injured
- Hibberd got injured
- McKay, Neilsen & Durdin are all KPP therefore massively disadvantaged for this mickey mouse award.
- Mountford played a lockdown defender role.
- Zurhaar, Larkey & Josh Williams only played 2 games.
- Wagner isn't good enough

Ryan Clarke debuted in 2016 and was absolutely dudded by the selectors. He averaged 27 touches in the last 5 matches of the season. There were a few iffy selections this year.

3 disposals for 3 goals.

Hayward kicked 22 goals for the year in 17 games, Which would have have placed him second in norths goal kicking.
3 front runned goals in thrashing a bottom side. Hayward deserved one earlier in the season anyway, but the point is there were better players in individual weeks for a lot of the nominations.

RS and AA is a bit of a popularity contest.

Agree.

Just look at 2015: Honeychurch, Gregson, Hartung, Broomhead, Lang & Lennon

Lots of lemons get a nom, and plenty that don't, go on to be very good players.

I don't see how trying to be proactive and acquire important cogs to a rebuild is being impatient. It just shows how serious and determined they are about trying to get back on the right track. Even if some ideal targets do fall through - I'm sure the recruiting will still get what they need come the draft and trade period this year - and next year, and the next.
They have backed in a short window system by signing Scott again. The development and motivation are compromised by Scott's management style.

Landing the right big fish can artificially produce superior mediocrity and early finals.

The main thing is the coach gets to use the excuses presented through older/injury prone players as well as hide terrible development and a system that's based on denial and dishonesty.

Contract based with little time for wobbling the pecking order or introducing a passion/integrity. Scott has done a number on that club.

Are you 12?

Enjoy.

I really see little hope for your mob, despite your terrific coach. The AFLs insistence on 18 teams has diluted talent. Unhappily under the Brayshaw regime your Club paid little attention to development and you possess the worst list.

Your Club's approach is the chequebook. Unfortunately this does not appear to be working. The failure of your mob to develop what you have is the worst of all Clubs.

Are any of them any good?

All pre-season we heard that guys like Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Neilson, Hibberd, Clarke, Turner, etc. would just walk into the best 22 to replace the retiring stars and keep North out of the bottom 4. They were young guns just waiting for a chance to show their worth, and would be the ones to lead North's quicker-than-expected revival. A bottom 4 finish and 0 Rising Star nominations later...

Well Clarke averaged exactly the same no of possessions as McGrath who won it and didn't get nominated so you tell me.

No one will sign with them because they don't want to move to Tassie in 2019.

Well Clarke averaged exactly the same no of possessions as McGrath who won it and didn't get nominated so you tell me.
Wasn't Clarke playing on the wing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back