Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue with accessibility is the hassle of acquiring tickets, what is available when you do try, how far out you have to plan attendance etc and the worth of doing so for the product that is on offer.
No different in Adelaide. I went to a Port v Geelong game in 2016. The only place I could get 2 seats was on Viagogo and I paid a premium, and I planned this weeks in advance

No different in Adelaide. I went to a Port v Geelong game in 2016. The only place I could get 2 seats was on Viagogo and I paid a premium, and I planned this weeks in advance
I had wondered about Adelaide. I'd have hoped Adelaide oval would be able to cater better than a kardinia or subiaco type stadium. The facilities do however look pretty good and if you paid a premium hopefully you could get a premium experience.

The only AFL game I've managed to plan and get to at KP i had to book weeks out (so it ended up clashing with appointments i had crop up) and the only tickets available were standing out in the open in the gary ablett terrace. Yuck.

Hopefully the perth stadium alleviates some of the ticket problems in WA, it looks like it's going to be a very impressive space when it gets going. It would be another comparable place, the thing with geelong is you have that ability to move the games that don't suit the venue, at little inconvenience, just an hour away to place easy to get to and from for all: geelong members, supporters, oppo supporters and neutrals.

Midweek before the Geelong v. Richmond game at Kardinia Park, according to Brian Cook there were around 3000 seats allocated to Richmond supporters that weren't sold, so had to be resold to Cats supporters instead. Considering Richmond are the biggest club supporter base wise in Victoria, if they couldn't sell out their allocation, then it's fair to say opposition supporters are offered more than enough seats.
that's stretching the facts big time.

I know because i looked at getting tickets and they cost in excess of 80 for nosebleed and none of them were together. How many people are going to buy them when its 1 seat here, 1 seat there?

Better off staying home in that case.

I don't want to read through 3 years of complaining, hasn't this one largely been fixed? Cat's mostly now play in their own tree and venture only on home games to Etihad and the G for big paydays.
Gosh you really don't know a thing do you?

Geelong makes 750,000 profit from 22,000 at KP

For Geelong to make what we do in Geelong at the MCG we need 70,000+ attending

We make nothing at all from Etihad. The only people who make money from us playing at Etihad are the tenants who sell their games interstate or to Ballarat. Essentially we get forced to play at Ethiad (because of contractual obligations games amount) for the financial gain of teams like North and Western Bulldogs who have a shitty stadium deal so they're allowed to sell games elsewhere for a few $$ to make up for how horrible their Ethiad deals really are. Playing at Ethiad ensures we not only losing what should be our genuine home ground advantage but money too.

that's stretching the facts big time.

I know because i looked at getting tickets and they cost in excess of 80 for nosebleed and none of them were together. How many people are going to buy them when its 1 seat here, 1 seat there?

Better off staying home in that case.
Nosebleed seats in Geelong are the equivalent of the medallion club's height and distance from the ground at Etihad. Apart the the terrace standing room area there really isn't a bad seat. Your issue isn't one directed at the club but rather one to take up with Ticketmaster which I agree with. Ticketek don't let you leave single seats when choosing seats, it's not that hard for Ticketmaster to have the same policy.

We make nothing at all from Etihad. The only people who make money from us playing at Etihad are the tenants who sell their games interstate or to Ballarat. Essentially we get forced to play at Ethiad (because of contractual obligations games amount) for the financial gain of teams like North and Western Bulldogs who have a shitty stadium deal so they're allowed to sell games elsewhere for a few $$ to make up for how horrible their Ethiad deals really are. Playing at Ethiad ensures we not only losing what should be our genuine home ground advantage but money too.

Big profits thanks to being in a marginal seat and having public funds thrown at you. Kudos.

750,000 from 22,000.....So the club PROFITS by $34 per head....

Source?

"Even if the Dogs only averaged half as much as that, the worst-case scenario is they get 10,000 people and they still make more than at Etihad Stadium." - Brian Cook
Haha that's damning.

We'd have to be making $1M+ per game with the 30k+ attendances now considering 22k = $750k. MCG and Etihad games are purely for AFL to bump up crowd numbers, financially they are a drain and we should be compensated accordingly for having to move games out of town.

Nosebleed seats in Geelong are the equivalent of the medallion club's height and distance from the ground at Etihad. Apart the the terrace standing room area there really isn't a bad seat. Your issue isn't one directed at the club but rather one to take up with Ticketmaster which I agree with. Ticketek don't let you leave single seats when choosing seats, it's not that hard for Ticketmaster to have the same policy.
I think you'll find that most of the single seats were those returned by Geelong members who weren't attending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha that's damning.

We'd have to be making $1M+ per game with the 30k+ attendances now considering 22k = $750k. MCG and Etihad games are purely for AFL to bump up crowd numbers, financially they are a drain and we should be compensated accordingly for having to move games out of town.
Yes but you lot are still ignoring the reasons behind this.
You make a truck load because you are playing in a taxpayer owned stadium and that owner (the taxpayer) basically lets you play there for free.
Other Melbourne clubs such as mine also play in a taxpayer owned stadium but the owner (the taxpayer) demands a good return, hence why a low crowd at the G makes bugger all money.
The Etihad tenants were until recently playing in a privately owned stadium which demanded a high rate of return which meant bugger all profit even for good crowds.

It's not magic beans that creates those profits at Simonds stadium, it's taxpayer subsidies.
That is why the Cats have to share the burden of playing home games elsewhere, other clubs don't get those subsidies at their home ground and so have to do things like sell home games to Tassie to make a buck.

Open your eyes Cats. The taxpayer is keeping you afloat, I'm happy for that to continue, I want a prosperous GFC and Geelong City, but please don't take all that taxpayer help and then complain that you are somehow being ripped off.

Midweek before the Geelong v. Richmond game at Kardinia Park, according to Brian Cook there were around 3000 seats allocated to Richmond supporters that weren't sold, so had to be resold to Cats supporters instead. Considering Richmond are the biggest club supporter base wise in Victoria, if they couldn't sell out their allocation, then it's fair to say opposition supporters are offered more than enough seats.

Those seats were all single seats.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story hey!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or in other words, you can't dispute my point so you're trying to deflect with an irrelevancy.

Hey pot meet kettle, you're the one throwing irrelevancy, GFC are impotent this, crap that with that with no substantiation of fact or missing the point of who are the decision makers and ones in control....:rolleyes:

Yes but you lot are still ignoring the reasons behind this.
You make a truck load because you are playing in a taxpayer owned stadium and that owner (the taxpayer) basically lets you play there for free.
Other Melbourne clubs such as mine also play in a taxpayer owned stadium but the owner (the taxpayer) demands a good return, hence why a low crowd at the G makes bugger all money.
The Etihad tenants were until recently playing in a privately owned stadium which demanded a high rate of return which meant bugger all profit even for good crowds.

It's not magic beans that creates those profits at Simonds stadium, it's taxpayer subsidies.
That is why the Cats have to share the burden of playing home games elsewhere, other clubs don't get those subsidies at their home ground and so have to do things like sell home games to Tassie to make a buck.

Open your eyes Cats. The taxpayer is keeping you afloat, I'm happy for that to continue, I want a prosperous GFC and Geelong City, but please don't take all that taxpayer help and then complain that you are somehow being ripped off.

Pretty much all grounds are rent seeking monopolies full of taxpayer subsidies, not sure what your point is beyond that - some subsidies are greater than others? Hard to tell without going through the numbers and context of each one. The MCG and Etihad tenants chose the deal that they have (using the word 'chose' loosely here btw) mostly over the taxpayer funded grounds they had.

As far as I know, Kardinia Park would be able (and happy) to fit in another footy club, probably on a similar deal I'm guessing. Hawthorn, come on down, much closer than Tasmania!

It was a combination of ALP pork barrelling and a job creation project to smooth out the transition with Ford closing down and the consequent loss of identity as the town becomes more and more just another outer suburb of Melbourne.

Not so farfetched mind you.
Melb CBD-Packenham 62km
Melb CBD-Geelong 75km

I care. He makes a valid point. If Geelong footy club insult Geelong by holding a function in another city why are they moaning about playing there?

Its a valid point mate.
Football games that tens of thousands of individuals, including families with young children, have the option of attending at various ticket prices is not remotely comparable to a yearly formal event that only a select few individuals can afford to attend.

Football games that tens of thousands of individuals, including families with young children, have the option of attending at various ticket prices is not remotely comparable to a yearly formal event that only a select few individuals can afford to attend.
Must have only been billionaires there...

Nope, just not as affordable as the average home games and with less available tickets too. Formal events are very different to footy games and I have no issue with the Carji being held outside of Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back