Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be taking as a view to go through the middle more, if he doesnt have the tank to 70% midfield then i wouldnt do it. Or the club was confident he could play simular to Pav but i dont think he has the contested mark to pull that off. If he project as a very good third tall then we steer away
Would say if we draft him he'd play half forward for his first season, maybe filling the role that Crozier's left. But then as he develops he'll transition into the midfield.

Dammit now I'm getting comfortable with the prospect of Fogarty on our list.

My top 7 in descending order: Rayner, LDU, Stephenson, Dow, Cerra, Fogarty and Brayshaw.
From 2 and 5 I'd like a combination of fwd and mid, x-factor potential and guaranteed output.

If we get Rayner at 2 we can potentially help the transition by getting one of his Vic metro mates in Stephenson, Cerra or Brayshaw.
Rayner and Stephenson: Seduced by talent
Rayner and Cerra/Brayshaw: Good mix

Whatever direction the club chooses in these selections, I hope scoreboard impact has a significant focus.

For me, Raynor, Stephenson and Fogarty are standouts in that regard. However LDU, for example, can free Fyfe to be forward more.

Is this off season better than the actual season?
I've seen enough already to suggest me that this time should be mostly limited to coming forward in play and taking his opposite midfielder with him so he can exploit the mismatch in strength and aerial ability. When he starts forward after a centre bounce he gets a proper defender and he lacks the pace to get separation on leads or the height to protect the ball from all those 199 cm defenders they have these days.

Rayner looks arrogant. I like it. Dumb haircut, looks like he enjoys hurting guys in tackles, knows when to duck up and kick a goal.

Naughton... you gotta go for him, best tall in the draft. Looks a crackin full back and there's no issues drafting someone just because we have Cox and Pearce. Takes the game on and goes for a run with a one-two, awesome mark and controls the ball well in the air (like a McGovern)... looks to play on and get the game going again from full back... he's your classic centre half back who shuts down a long bomb and then immediately looks to get something going again because he actually understands the opposition will be out of shape. Awful kicking action on him though but eh whatever.

Rayner or LDU, then Naughton for me. An arrogant little mid who can slot straight in and then a confident, mature backman who could possibly end up a forward.

Naughton seems the sort who'd have his best traits coached out of him at AFL level though... I remember when Sutcliffe and Hughes used to try taking on the game and running from half back...

Pick Stephenson and i bet Raynor slides to 5.

Give Stevo number 26. Langdon will upgrade to 5 or something close by.

Thats pretty shiny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brander looks soft, Fogarty... wtf is with the hype?!

In that video he:

– Got an incredibly soft free kick
– Got the ball really well and took his time from the middle, but sprayed his kick completely
– Tackled someone but it was high
– Should have gotten done holding the ball
– Went for a screamer and dropped it

I mean yes these highlight reels are stupid because they generally show two games out of two relevant years, and yes they're just edited sloppily, but ffs he's rated highly and it was v a s**t team who are put together and don't train together in the Allies. I'll be livid if we pick him.

LDU/Raynor/Stephenson and then Naughton. Please!

It'll be a headache if we have one of the mids left at 5 though...

Fogarty looks s**t as *.

Hope we don't take Naughton. Not that I don't rate him but we've still got Alex Pearce to come back in, we took Logue and Cox last year and got Hamling in as well. We should be going best available with both picks. Would be happy with Rayner, LDU or Dow with 2 and Stephenson, Cerra or Fogarty with 5.

Last edited:
I can watch that Rayner Vid over and over, he'll do me at #2

#5 best mid left I won't be disappointed whoever it is, wasn't overly impressed with Brande or UDL but like SA points out, you can only get so much from a highlights package 2 mins long

I'm sure those who have been following the state championships have a better insight

Hope we don't take Naughton. Not that I don't rate him but we've still got Alwx Pearce to come back in, we took Logue and Cox last year and got Hamling in as well. We should be going best available with both picks. Would be happy with Rayner, LDU or Dow with 2 and Stephenson, Cerra or Fogarty with 5.

There is something about Fogarty I like, possibly his size already and his versatility. Could be anything

Maybe I'm wrong I dunno

I'm hopeful we don't take Naughton because we've snagged pick 2 additionally, unless they wanted him at 5 originally. Logue, Cox, Hamling and A.Pearce is enough stock grab midfielders then try and fit them all in. Rayner/Fogarty/Dow/LDU etc etc.

Lets be serious, you could pretty much take any combination of two top prospects and have a chance of it being correct for the moment. They are all good players and there are pros and cons to all of them. Closer to the draft (we are a month out atm) that should hopefully change as we get snippets from interviews etc, and work out which players other clubs are keen on. My preference is two hybrid mid types but that could easily change. No high expectations but a speedy Mundy and a Pav would be great thanks...

This is a tough draft, with so many Victorian kids rated as top tens and the two best WA kids expected to go between 12-20
Im not sure the best way to use picks #2 and #5 !!?? Leaning towards spending those picks on locals knowing they'll be here for 10+ years than getting a couple of highly rated / over hyped Vic Metro mids who wont want to sit around while we rebuild for 3-4 seasons....

Also looking ahead to next year, IF we really want to finally get Jesse Hogan, Melbourne will want a first rounder and next years draft is being touted as a superdraft so that would kind of stuff our chances of nabbing a first round wonderkid

For mine Rayner is a class above the other mids, so if available I'd take him with pick 2. If he's gone I'd go Stephenson as he just seems to have more tools than the others including great breakaway speed which we need.

Pick 5 I would go with Aaron Naughton even though he is a bit of a stretch. He's 194cm and 84kg and is still 17 (for another month) so possibly has some growth left in him. He was in the top 10 for goal kicking in the draft combine, and I have seen him go forward at Peel and take some nice grabs. With him and Cox we would have two young talls who can play either back or forward and that would give us great flexibility. We're all banking on Alex Pearce to get back and play a key role in the backline but he has been a long time out of the game and will take time to get back to his best - if he ever does.

Last year we stretched for Griffin Logue because he was seen as a quality young guy and a West Australian. Naughton could easily fall into that basket and he plays with Peel so already has some exposure to our team and our structures. Good young guy with zero go-home factor, that'll do me!

Anyone else hear Michael Thompson on 882 this morning?

For those that didn't, he basically said that the Suns knew what they were doing in trading this years' pick 2 for a former pick 13 with elite skills that had been developed in a senior team over the past 3 years. So basically a quality and ready made 21 year old midfielder with zero "go home factor."

He then went onto to list all of the pick 2's and 5's from the last 7 years drafts, which by the way are as follows.

Year : Pick 2 : Pick 5
2010 : Harley Bennell : Jared Polec
2011 : Stephen Coniglio : Matt Buntine
2012 : Josh Kelly : Kade Kolodjashnij
2014 : Christian Petracca : Jordon De Goey
2015 : Josh Schache : Darcy Parish
2016 : Tim Tarranto : Will Setterfield

He then said that the risk of picking dud with either of these two picks were the sole reason that the Gold Coast Suns took pick 2 for Weller.

For mine Rayner is a class above the other mids, so if available I'd take him with pick 2. If he's gone I'd go Stephenson as he just seems to have more tools than the others including great breakaway speed which we need.

Pick 5 I would go with Aaron Naughton even though he is a bit of a stretch. He's 194cm and 84kg and is still 17 (for another month) so possibly has some growth left in him. He was in the top 10 for goal kicking in the draft combine, and I have seen him go forward at Peel and take some nice grabs. With him and Cox we would have two young talls who can play either back or forward and that would give us great flexibility. We're all banking on Alex Pearce to get back and play a key role in the backline but he has been a long time out of the game and will take time to get back to his best - if he ever does.

Last year we stretched for Griffin Logue because he was seen as a quality young guy and a West Australian. Naughton could easily fall into that basket and he plays with Peel so already has some exposure to our team and our structures. Good young guy with zero go-home factor, that'll do me!

I still cant follow the reasoning that we are stacked with KD'S. Hamling and then Johnson who is on the edge and Pearce who hasnt played for 2 seasons. Cox who is playing forward . Thats it. Logue is thrown up but he isnt a KD. True we have heaps of flankers . From the highlites packages just posted Naughton is the standout. The mids were nice and plenty of them. Gun Keys were thin on the ground and Naughton is a gun.

Back