Opinion Pick 1... is Cam Rayner

So who do we take at Pick 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine's highlights are seriously impressive, it's just the wrong year to have pick 1. But we'll get someone who goes okay, chin up.

Hopefully next year we are a) not in a position where pick one is an issue and b) not playing a fellow cellar dweller in the last round again and half the board wants us to lose to get the guy!

Is Stephenson really a Lions supporter?? Then pick him at one if he is in the conversation even if he isn’t the best, we can’t afford to keep losing our high draft picks.

yes is a lions fan doesn't mean will stay tho imo will be Luke Davies-Uniacke has the body to go now very much a Joey kennedy type at swans his finals form was outstanding for Dandy feel that's got him over Dow ust its very tight call ! dow doesnt have the frame yet so will likely start as HF like McCluggage did this year ! LDU i feel will be it in end

Stephenson has repeatedly said on interviews that he grew up a Lions supporter, and would be happy to come to us. In fact us and North (he did a training camp with them) are his stated preferences.

We don't appear to have him in the frame for pick 1 though, with the focus on a hybrid midfielder. Stephenson at this stage is a high marking half forward with some X factor and ability as inside midfielder. Has plenty of athleticism, but still a work in progress. Has a very high ceiling, but the unknown is whether he can become a full time midfielder at AFL level. If we had another pick around 5 I imagine we'd happy to look at him.

Since we can't pick Rankine and wait 12 months , Rayner would be my pick based on his kicking. LDU, Brayshaw and Dow are pretty average kicks, and Stephenson is just abysmal. I just think Rayner has a bigger upside, particularly with a bit of work on his tank.

Not enough to draft him at 1 with his poor kicking skills

Rosscoe have you actually seen him play? This poor kicking stuff is so ridiculous. His kicking is no worse than most of the other draftees. If you want a great kick take Nick O'Brien, Cerra is great too.

I would actually say Stephenson goalkicking is better than all of them, except Rayner.

Looks like in any event, we won't be going him Pick 1, which to me is disappointing because I think he and Rayner are the two players who have the potential to be absolute guns from this draft.

Rosscoe have you actually seen him play? This poor kicking stuff is so ridiculous. His kicking is no worse than most of the other draftees. If you want a great kick take Nick O'Brien, Cerra is great too.

I would actually say Stephenson goalkicking is better than all of them, except Rayner.

Looks like in any event, we won't be going him Pick 1, which to me is disappointing because I think he and Rayner are the two players who have the potential to be absolute guns from this draft.
Nick (Coffield) & (Lochie) O'Brien maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys think Brisbane will leak or announce who will be pick 1 before the draft?

No, but the direction of the draft starts to come out through subtle leaks in the lead up. By the week before the draft you, and everyone here, will have a good idea of who we'll take with pick 1.

Most probably just reciting from Landsberger’s article on the weekend. No one actually knows whose going where yet, think that it will go down to the last few days before we decide who to go with actually.

Most probably just reciting from Landsberger’s article on the weekend. No one actually knows whose going where yet, think that it will go down to the last few days before we decide who to go with actually.

I assumed it had to be something like that but it sounded pretty set in stone. That's why I avoid that crappy show lol.

I often wonder how much of the media noise about the draft is fan driven.

I'm 100% certain cotter101 was the very first person I saw mention Dow as a possible top pick. And he said he got this info from talking to one of our recruiters at a game. At the time Dow was rated in the early teens by a few draft watchers, but no one had him higher. But within two weeks almost every draft watcher on BF had Dow rated in their top 5, and when Twomey released his next Phantom Form Guide, there was Dow up in the top 5.

Now I am sure there are posters here who know people, or know people who know people, so they hear stuff in regards to the draft and kids we're looking at, same with supporters from other clubs.

Then you have draft watchers like Bishop, Knightmare, Matt Balmer and Cal Twomey who talk to the kids and recruiters to get as much info as possible. Bishop has clearly said, his mock draft is not about where he personally rates kids, but where he hears kids are likely to go, what clubs are interested in which kids, etc.

I rarely visit other teams boards, so wouldn't have a clue what other teams fans are saying, but on the draft board there is starting to be a consensus from Freo posters that they are looking at Cerra at pick 2 and Brayshaw at pick 5.

Carlton fans talking about Rayner at 3, and North supporters talking about Stephenson at 4. Collingwood supporters debating Coffield or reaching for a tall player.

And in all this Dow slides down phantom drafts past Collingwood to St Kilda at pick 7. Or if Dow goes pick 2 to Freo, it's Cerra sliding to St Kilda.

The reports about Rayner would’ve been on the back of this article I’d imagine:

Cameron Rayner, Luke Davies-Uniacke or Paddy Dow could go No.1 in national draft
SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
October 29, 2017 6:30pm

CARLTON could secure No.1 draft pick fancy Cameron Rayner next month as Brisbane Lions and Fremantle consider drafting Vic Country midfielders with the first two selections.

Recruiters say Rayner, 18, has the “Dustin Martin blueprint”, although the explosive Western Jet believes he plays more like Melbourne bull Christian Petracca.

Clubs are finding it difficult to separate Rayner, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paddy Dow as this year’s cream.

Davies-Uniacke — nicknamed LDU — and Dow are considered slimmer flight risks for the Lions and Dockers, who lost homesick youngsters Josh Schache and Lachie Weller this month.

Davies-Uniacke’s mother owns a house in Brisbane, where she lived for two years, and the keen surfer from Rye would also enjoy the waves at Perth’s beaches.

Swan Hill boy Dow destroyed Gippsland Power with 35 disposals, six clearances and two goals before he was booked for a shoulder reconstruction.

Rayner rocked a Dusty haircut at the national carnival, where he topped the goalkicking and dazzled as a half-forward with X-factor.

The question mark on him is his endurance. But he would be a dream fit for the Blues as they chase goalkicking power in their engine room after Bryce Gibbs’ exit.

Rayner won five flags and six best-and-fairests at Hillside and was nicknamed “Hollywood” by a junior coach for his goalkicking flair.

North Melbourne holds the No.4 selection. It is likely to consider Jaidyn Stephenson and Adam Cerra.

Midfielder Andrew Brayshaw is firming as a top-10 selection. Western Bulldogs would be pleased to land the brother of Melbourne’s Angus at No.9.

Three clubs have two top-10 picks — the Dockers (Nos.2 and 5), the Blues (Nos.3 and 10) and St Kilda (Nos.7 and 8).

For the first time Greater Western Sydney does not have a top-10 selection after activating 19 in the past five drafts
The Dockers are expected to grab the best tall to go with one of Davies-Uniacke, Dow or Rayner.

They have previously been linked to Sam Hayes but clubs believe Peel Thunder’s Aaron Naughton is more likely.

Taking Naughton would gazump Collingwood’s interest in the 194cm intercepting defender. The Magpies hold the No.6 pick, their only selection in the first two rounds.

Aidan Bonar could leap into the top 15, but is laced with risk.

The powerful Dandenong Stingray recovered from his second knee reconstruction late in the season.

THE RACE TO GO NO.1
CAMERON RAYNER

Disposals 18.5

Clearances 3.8

Contested possessions 11.5

Score involvements 7.5

Goals 3.0

SuperCoach 120 pts

LUKE DAVIES-UNIACKE

Disposals 21.8

Metres gained 349m

Clearances 3

Score involvements 3.5

Goals 0.8

SuperCoach 82pts

PADDY DOW

Disposals 18.5

Contested possessions 11.8

Metres gained 325m

Clearances 5.3

Score involvements 5.5

SuperCoach pts 99

Do you guys think Brisbane will leak or announce who will be pick 1 before the draft?
We should do it moments before the draft begins and then we should observe the player who has had his name leaked. If he starts crying, we shouldn't draft him.

One of our premium insiders has stated that Brisbane will take either Dow or Rayner.

Things can change I guess and I wouldn't take this one to the bank for that reason.........but it may be a pretty sure thing.

Back