No non-Vic team has defeated a Vic team in the Grand Final without list or salary cap concessions

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1989 we played 1 game at the G in the lead up to the GF compared with the Cats playing 7.
Back then no one gave a s**t.

People these days are pathetic.

The game in 89 was so razor sharp in execution that there could not possibly have been a huge host of other inefficiencies impacting results that have been all but eliminated now.

The game in 89 was so razor sharp in execution that there could not possibly have been a huge host of other inefficiencies impacting results that have been all but eliminated now.
Lol, do you actually believe your own bullshit?
The difference is that back then people just got on with the job at hand, these days people just piss and moan from their living rooms about grounds, umps and whatever else.

For the game to become truly national and actually fair, the grand final MUST move.
I believe the MCC has a contract in place with the AFL to host the grand final at the G until 2037.

The only way I can see the grand final being moved, is if a lengthy rebuild of the MCG takes place in the future to drastically increase stadium seating capacity, so it can cope with the very possible and awesome eventuality of 100,000 3-peat watching Richmond members.

1991 is an example of a Grand Final being moved away from the MCG, to Hawthorn's home ground down at Waverley. Probably just a coincidence a too old and too slow Hawthorn used their home deck advantage to smash a rampaging Eagles outfit, who were far and away the best H&A side that year lel.

Look, at the end of the day, 20 years goes by so quickly we will be playing GF's at neutral venues before you know it.

Only some Vic. teams have an advantage at the MCG, some only play there once or twice a year, there have been times when interstate teams have played on the MCG more times in a year than a local team
When you weigh it all up it is a minor miracle that you have won a flag at all this day in age

Only some Vic. teams have an advantage at the MCG, some only play there once or twice a year, there have been times when interstate teams have played on the MCG more times in a year than a local team
Yep, in 2016 the Bulldogs played the same number of times at the G as the Swans did.
And the Swans also had the benefit of their home ground being wide with similar dimensions to the G.

Not sure I've ever come across a more factually incorrect OP.

1991 is an example of a Grand Final being moved away from the MCG, to Hawthorn's home ground down at Waverley. Probably just a coincidence a too old and too slow Hawthorn used their home deck advantage to smash a rampaging Eagles outfit, who were far and away the best H&A side that year lel.
Actually people often get this a bit wrong.
Princes Park was still our home ground that year and the majority of our home games were played there and we trained at the tiny Glenferrie Oval.
And people forget we beat them at Subi in the QF.

It's because teams have actually refined to a science how to play now, so what got lost in the wash when the game was less exacting now determines the result.

Sports science is evidence that there is many more blokes injured now in all sports than ever in the history of the game, I wouldn't read to much into the science of footy. 50% of it is jobs for the boys.
I do agree with you they play like robots and run where they are told to run to, but it is only those that do it to the letter of what they are told that never get the ultimate success, footballers still and forever will need to be able to think on their feet and make decisions on the run that are outside their game plan. The best sides have players which do this, they don't stop and say what do i do now as the ground is wider.

MCG is the correct size of a footy oval. Don't build a non standard oval then complain about having to play on a proper one

That is garbage, it is a cricket ground. In fact of all the grounds it is probably the least close to the right dimensions of a footy oval. Being the MCG though and that is where the GF is then it's dimensions are used as some sort of template.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the fertilizer they use, it has a sleeping gas in it, Vic players are immune to it, but when interstate sides come, they are put into a semi coma
Also because Melbourne is at a more Southerly latitude the sun is lower. That's why it got in Darling's eyes when he dropped that sitter, he just wasn't used to the sun being that low at that time of day.

That is damning.

West Coast and Adelaide both had solid legs up in the 90s. Brisbane were hocked up when they dominated.

Sydney had COLA in 2012 which aided in player retention.

No one has done it. No one.

The interstate sides are still relatively young in the expanded VFL competition.
But there's already mountains of evidence that home ground determines everything.

Geelong almost never loses at KP, and sides look completely different when they play there. If you go to the ground and watch a game from high up, you see just how dramatically different the dimensions are from other grounds. It's not an oval.

You're watching a different brand of footy every week depending on which ground you're at, because teams have to figure out how to work within different dimensions while their opposition already has that down. The turnaround in margin from home to away is regularly 10 or 15 goals.

Barely anyone wins in Geelong. Barely anyone wins in Adelaide. And not a single interstate team has won on the MCG on grand final day without list or salary cap concessions.

We're five years in a row now of non-vic teams "mysteriously" putting in absolute stinkers on grand final day. It is not a coincidence.

For the game to become truly national and actually fair, the grand final MUST move. We don't need a 100,000 stadium. Bigger events all over the world regularly seat 50 or 60k. It's absolute nonsense that our other stadiums couldn't put on a phenomenal grand final.

It was so ******* disappointing spending all that money to go to a grand final, to see my team struggle with wider wings while the other team has learned by playing on it way more at the elite level. My team can never bridge that disadvantage.

I think this is going to be the single biggest conversation in the game the next several years, because it is becoming more structurally obvious with every season. Having a game where every ground is a completely different size and shape, and then having the grand final ALWAYS at one ground that half the competition plays at way more than the rest is absolutely insane.

Discuss.

Similarly only one team from other states has won when there are two teams in the state. Port in '04 and you could say they underachieved cs they were the top team for four years

so you other clubs, why don't you merge and get stronger? hobbling Victorian clubs is not the answer clearly. its not the trots

Actually people often get this a bit wrong.
Princes Park was still our home ground that year and the majority of our home games were played there and we trained at the tiny Glenferrie Oval.
And people forget we beat them at Subi in the QF.

And beat the eagles 2 out of 3 in 2015. best of three series?

That is garbage, it is a cricket ground. In fact of all the grounds it is probably the least close to the right dimensions of a footy oval. Being the MCG though and that is where the GF is then it's dimensions are used as some sort of template.
Hang on.
Wasn't the game we know today invented and rules drawn up in Melbourne and played in Richmond Paddock (MCG car park) in 1858?
Here is one of the rules.

The game shall be played within the space of not more than 200 yards wide

And then the next year they started playing on the actual MCG and a few decades later started the comp which is now the AFL.
But somehow it's the least suitable dimensions?

...Footy was designed to be played on cricket grounds. Surely you know that. It sounds like you're trying to invent a distinction between a cricket ground and a footy oval where non actually exists.

MCG isn't the template because it's where the grand final is played. It's the template because that's where the game was started, where the first ever game was held (actually held in the park next door to avoid damaging the surface, but still ran by the MCC), and where the first set of rules for the game were created. It is the literal template for the game

...Footy was designed to be played on cricket grounds. Surely you know that. It sounds like you're trying to invent a distinction between a cricket ground and a footy oval where non actually exists.

MCG isn't the template because it's where the grand final is played. It's the template because that's where the game was started, where the first ever game was held (actually held in the park next door to avoid damaging the surface, but still ran by the MCC), and where the first set of rules for the game were created. It is the literal template for the game

So you think the ground dimensions of the MCG today are the same as they were in 1870? The ground dimensions would of changed many times over the years.

Hang on.
Wasn't the game we know today invented and rules drawn up in Melbourne and played in Richmond Paddock (MCG car park) in 1858?
Here is one of the rules.

The game shall be played within the space of not more than 200 yards wide

And then the next year they started playing on the actual MCG and a few decades later started the comp which is now the AFL.
But somehow it's the least suitable dimensions?

I said least close to a footy oval, Yous aid it yourself it was started in a paddock, the G has changed dimensions many times over its history. And I was not knocking your beloved MCG as I love it also. I was answering to another poster who said the MCG is the correct size and everyone else has it wrong. Everyone has it actually spot on, there is no correct size for a footy oval. If so then they would all be the same yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back