What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion.

Joel Selwood and Sam Mitchell have had better careers than Chris Judd, and were/are better all-round footballers.

Chris Judd is the most overrated midfielder of all-time when people mention him with Carey, Mathews and Ablett as one of the games "Greatest" players.

Albett Snr or Jnr?
If its Snr - I agree... but then I dont think Judd is realistically rated with that lot.
If its Jnr - then No, he definitely deserves to be rated alongside him.
You are grossly overating Selwood - and Mitchell I think deserves to be in the conversation with Judd and GAJ given his better longevity. All of Swan, Fyfe, Danger and Martin were/are also in that range at their peaks.

Selwood is a rung (2?) below those guys. Probably similar to Pendles - both very good players who are each missing some all round characteristics that keep them from that group - ironically though both would probably complement each other extremely well if on the same team.

I've said this repeatedly.
Every club has fans that sook about umpiring, some Swans fans sook about one game, Eagles fans sook about another, Dogs fans do too.
The one thing they have in common is that they sook the loudest, the most and more relentlessly when they lose.

Only game I ever thought was seriously influenced by the umpiring was dogs vs crows at Etihad, the pannel game.

Unpopular opinion.

Joel Selwood and Sam Mitchell have had better careers than Chris Judd, and were/are better all-round footballers.

Chris Judd is the most overrated midfielder of all-time when people mention him with Carey, Mathews and Ablett as one of the games "Greatest" players.
Problem with Judd is his 5years were better than almost anyone.He was just extremely good from about 07 onwards.People usually only remember the second half of careers

Unpopular opinion.

I don't think that's too unfair, injury changed him after 2007 so it comes down to whether you think ~4 years of GOAT-level footy (and 4-5 years of good-to-very-good footy) is enough to put him in the discussion with those guys. Funnily enough, that's about what I think Dustin Martin/Dangerfield can realistically achieve and both currently have threads nominating them as potential GOATs ...

Simon Black is heavily over-romanticised on BigFooty and he isn't in the top group of midfielders so far this century. He was a really good player who rarely played a bad game, but I don't see how he's much better than the other super consistent midfielders we've seen like West, Selwood, Pendlebury, S.Mitchell and the like; and also Daniel Kerr, who in my opinion was just as good as Black but doesn't get the same respect.

Simon Black is heavily over-romanticised on BigFooty and he isn't in the top group of midfielders so far this century. He was a really good player who rarely played a bad game, but I don't see how he's much better than the other super consistent midfielders we've seen like West, Selwood, Pendlebury, S.Mitchell and the like; and also Daniel Kerr, who in my opinion was just as good as Black but doesn't get the same respect.
Daniel Kerr was a freak, but just kept getting injured towards the end. Such a shame. I thought he was equally as talented as Judd & Cousins and the 3 of them playing together was a pleasure to watch.

As to Simon Black - he would be in my 22 for players of this century. It would be on the bench though- so i do agree to an extent. Remarkable footballer though, his CV is as good as any to have played.

Problem with Judd is his 5years were better than almost anyone.He was just extremely good from about 07 onwards.People usually only remember the second half of careers

Judd was more than “extremely good” post 2007. He was an elite top 3 mid up until about 2012 when injury started to finally take its toll. Won a Brownlow, about 4 all Australians and an MVP in that time whilst being at one of the worst clubs of the modern era.

Supporters (particularly VICs) underrate Judd and talk down his career because he didn’t choose their club when he came home. His best is also better than GAJ’s. That’s my unpopular opinion.

Judd was more than “extremely good” post 2007. He was an elite top 3 mid up until about 2012 when injury started to finally take its toll. Won a Brownlow, about 4 all Australians and an MVP in that time whilst being at one of the worst clubs of the modern era.

Supporters (particularly VICs) underrate Judd and talk down his career because he didn’t choose their club when he came home. His best is also better than GAJ’s. That’s my unpopular opinion.
Judd peak Eagles was better than GAJ peak wherever.

The bolded is a load of crap.

Judd was a breakaway mid, who had one really good trick. He was blown up out of all proportion on the back of this trick because people get excited when players can run and carry the ball, while he was equaled or bettered by plenty of other mids in all other facets of the game as an inside midfielder(contested ball, marks, kicks, handballs etc).

Joel Selwood is a much more rounded player than Judd, but because he doesn’t break way from packs with speed he doesn’t get the over the top adulation.

Joel Selwood is a much more rounded player than Judd, but because he doesn’t break way from packs with speed he doesn’t get the over the top adulation.

Judd won a Brownlow at Carlton as an inside mid. Completely changed his game and became elite at both.

Selwood has hardly ever been a number 1 mid at his club let alone close to the best in the AFL. Judd led a gun side and a s**t side and did both well. It’s a no contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd was a breakaway mid, who had one really good trick. He was blown up out of all proportion on the back of this trick because people get excited when players can run and carry the ball, while he was equaled or bettered by plenty of other mids in all other facets of the game as an inside midfielder(contested ball, marks, kicks, handballs etc).

Judd was the best player in the game for a period.Selwood never was.Who Would coaches have worried more about Judd or Selwood.?Judd easily

Dangerfield plays a very similar game to Judd, is Danger a one trick pony?

To be honest I think Judd, Kerr and Cousins were overrated as the way people talk about the 3 of them you would think they were unbeatable as a combination. Problem is that they were not, and even though West Coast was very good in the mid 2000's with the three of them there, they really only won 1 flag, and that 1 flag by 1 point.

At best I would say the Swans midfield of the mid 2000's was workmanlike but they could stand up well against the Judd, Kerr and Cousins combination when if you listened to bigfooty, no team should have been able to do.

the bolded is a load of crap

Judd could win his own ball in a pack against the best then break away with it speed

his work at the coal face was as good as anyone and it was only old man injuries that dulled his outside brilliance

freak

Dangerfield plays a very similar game to Judd, is Danger a one trick pony?
Dangerfield can mark above his head, and play in more than one position.

the bolded is a load of crap

Judd could win his own ball in a pack against the best then break away with it speed

his work at the coal face was as good as anyone and it was only old man injuries that dulled his outside brilliance

freak
You say it’s crap and then post the exact same thing.

Judd was a breakaway mid. That was his thing.

Judd won a Brownlow at Carlton as an inside mid. Completely changed his game and became elite at both.

Selwood has hardly ever been a number 1 mid at his club let alone close to the best in the AFL. Judd led a gun side and a s**t side and did both well. It’s a no contest.
Selwood has been number 1 mid at Geelong ever since Gaz left, and a top 5 player in the comp for as long if not longer.

didn’t read the bit about his inside work? it wasn’t a long post.
You’re not saying anything different.

Judd was a bull inside mid, but plenty were and continue to be.

He was and has been severely overrated when people decide to sit him alongside Mathews, Carey and Ablett snr.

You’re not saying anything different.

Judd was a bull inside mid, but plenty were and continue to be.

He was and has been severely overrated when people decide to sit him alongside Mathews, Carey and Ablett snr.

inside bull or breakaway mid? one trick pony or not? trav 20 will tell you I’m brainless with cognition issues but you’ve confused me!

inside bull or breakaway mid? one trick pony or not? trav 20 will tell you I’m brainless with cognition issues but you’ve confused me!
It was his one trick. Win the ball, breakaway from the congestion.

It’s a nice trick, but the Greatest players of all time are far more rounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back