First side to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah right

You guys go on thinking your little domestic comp with blokes having ciggies at quarter time working as bricklayers etc is the same thing as a national multibillion dollar comp

No different to someone bragging that he banged angelina jolie after having a wank over her.

He might impress his dickhead mates but he just really looks sad and despo
It is not about the quality of the league at the time - it is about what league the Premiership was won in. The Premierships won by Victorian sides 100 years ago matter because it was in the same league as the ones we see today.

Besides, it is all relative. A professional AFL side nowadays is competing against other professional AFL sides. A semi-professional VFL side 80 years ago would be competing against other semi-professional VFL sides. Hence, their premierships matter given that they prevailed over opponents with matched ability.

It is like saying that Adelaide's inaugural AFLW Premiership last year wouldn't matter in 100 years time if that competition continues and develops to become like the men one is nowadays.

At the moment Essendon are the best side of the lot, but don't look like actually winning one. However they may be vague possibility with a fair bit of luck going their way.

Hawthorn is hard to place at the moment. They are just coming off one the the strongest eras of any side. They are several premierships away from 17 though.

Collingwood are simply going side ways at the moment and appears to be in no mans land. They don't look like being a threat but not bad enough to rebuild properly.

In the end I voted Carlton, they are just finishing off the early stages of a proper rebuild for sustained success and should start to rise up the ladder in a year or two. Though they won't be at their peak for another 3-4 years.

Last edited:
:$ at people casually suggesting Hawthorn will win another 4 before Essendon or Carlton win another 1 (or Collingwood 2). It's not impossible but it's very unlikely.

Anyway I'm going to say Essendon because despite our drug cheating making four seasons a complete waste of time we're somehow still playing better than Carlton. But things change quickly in the AFL.

If my arithmatic is right this eighteen years is the longest it's ever been without an Essendon or Carlton premiership. Who'd have believed that future in 2000?

Last edited:
Given the current landscape and list compositions between those listed clubs I would have to agree on Essendon at the present time. Carlton is stil a bit away yet and Hawthorn are a few years off reaching that number. Collingwood would be a bit behind Essendon but further ahead of both Carlton and Hawthorn IMO

Probably essendon.
I dont think hawks can win 4 before any one of the other 3 get to 17 - however if it was first to 20, Id back the hawks heavily on that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Essendon do it with their current list just for the melts
if you thought a supporter base could be less tolerable after a flag than Richmond or the bulldogs, just wait.

Even I get a little sick at the thought of what we’d be like.
Still, I’ll take the flag :)

:$ at people casually suggesting Hawthorn will win another 4 before Essendon or Carlton win another 1 (or Collingwood 2). It's not impossible but it's very unlikely.
Imagine if you'd posted this in 2004 though.

Whats the relevance of your date of birth to the argument?

You read through my entire rambling post and picked that to nitpick about? My argument stands up rationally, the last bit was just my personal opinion.

It would seem odd to me to brag to a Hawthorn supporter born in the same year as me that Collingwood has won more premierships than Hawthorn, when he has been alive for 8 of his clubs' flag and I've been alive for 2 of ours.

You read through my entire rambling post and picked that to nitpick about? My argument stands up rationally, the last bit was just my personal opinion..

It kinda undid the point you were making. Youre weighting the premierships according to whether or not you remember them.

To answer your actual point.....The competition in my opinion has evolved continuously over the years but is the same competition. Mostly its a boring circular argument that has no real answer. And its nothing to do with the thread topic anyway, who will get to 17 first...but I knew the thread would be derailed by the same old whingers making the same old arguments.

If you really want to measure premierships it should be premierships per year in the competition, weighted according to how many teams there were in the comp in that year. Hawthorn being a late starter than other original Vic teams and winning heaps of flags in the 18 team era would probably top the table, at a guess. The Eagles and Lions might also be up there on that table.

Last edited:
Between Melbourne and Hawthorn, I think Melbourne has a chance of winning 4 premierships.

The reality is that Hawthorn were boosted by the zone era (as were Carlton and Essendon) in the 80s. Not a secret why they had such a dominant team.

The well documented "perfect storm" that is the expansion era saw Hawthorn capitalise on an era where multiple Victorian sides were not able to access the talented players required to challenge them because of the compromised draft. It affected sides like North Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton from ever moving up from the middle rung of the ladder. Even sides like Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Brisbane were affected by it. Add some of the talent that GWS and Gold Coast had to the 2011-2015 Richmond, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Fremantle, North Melbourne and Carlton sides and things might have looked very different. Most of these sides were bottom of the table at various stages during the compromised drafts.

Now I'm not taking anything away from Hawthorn here. There is no club that knows success more than Hawthorn in the modern era. However, the thought process of saying "Hawthorn will get to 17 first because Hawthorn" definitely doesn't hold up, especially in the circumstances those premierships were won in.

To answer the question, could be any, but I'll go with one of Carlton or Essendon because it's more difficult to win multiple premierships in a time where equalisation actually seems to be working. Essendon has the earliest chance, but if Essendon doesn't win it within the next 3 years, then I think Carlton will get to it first. Oh and I think that Hawthorn are the least likely because, well, they are the furthest away while having reached the end of an era.

Just a few facts to remind people what a club with a true culture of sustained success over decades looks like.

Since we played Essendon in 3 GFs in a row, the Bombers have won 2 flags, we have won 8.

Since we played the Blues in 2 in a row, we have 7, the Blues have won 1.

Since 1958, Collingwood have won 2 flags, we have won 13.

At the end of 1964, the Dees had just won their 12th flag. At that stage we had 1. We made it to 13 before they did. What odds would you have got for that happening in 1964?

Just some food for thought....

Pure evil creating a thread just to rise the blood pressure of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood fans.

I was hoping to go through the off season without any drama's but I can guarantee this thread won't end well. I'm not even going to offer an opinion considering none of us can see into the future, all threads like this do is angrily debate the history of each club instead.

Its pretty obvious too which clubs Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood think will be first to 17 too

Back