Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on my last post .....Fyfe one out in the goal square, along with Dusty and Danger is a dangerous possibility

Tex couldn't be that player for us .....his overhead skills are not strong enough ....but McGovern could excel, superior overhead skills and superfast on the lead

Have said it a few times re McGovern, he is a prototype modern day full-forward. As effective leading up at the footy as he is leading back with the flight, as he is dangerous when the ball hits the ground.

Just on my last post .....Fyfe one out in the goal square, along with Dusty and Danger is a dangerous possibility

I said this about 3 years ago. The way the game is evolving teams would have two key defenders, two key forwards (one who would relieve in ruck), and the rest all midfielders rotating.

I'm too lazy to go back and find my own posts. But still believe that's where we'll end up.

Not long ago a lot of match day forward line coaching was about creating "mis-matches" with player types. This will be, if it hasn't already been, totally usurped by the value of having more runners rotating through midfield.

It's the evolution of the game.

I said this about 3 years ago. The way the game is evolving teams would have two key defenders, two key forwards (one who would relieve in ruck), and the rest all midfielders rotating.

I'm too lazy to go back and find my own posts. But still believe that's where we'll end up.

Not long ago a lot of match day forward line coaching was about creating "mis-matches" with player types. This will be, if it hasn't already been, totally usurped by the value of having more runners rotating through midfield.

Yes this is clearly the way the game is heading. Coaches keep emphasising "two-way running", so basically it forces everyone to be fit, and to be a fill-in midfielder. I tried to make a point before that inside midfielder and outside midfielder, it's also really all becoming a bit of a blur. Pretty much nowadays, everyone is a midfielder, a defender, and a forward, just in varying proportions.

Gov just turned 23, has played 36 games ... for someone to take control of an AFL Forward line that is still pretty young and inexperienced but he's on that path.

Now it's a different era, but the year Modra turned 23 he played 8 AFL games for 21 goals ... the next year he kind of escalated though :) 23 games for 129 goals !!

I remember that year and Modra was unstoppable. He was an absolute freak, massive talent and spectacular to watch. Privileged to have seen this. I remember sitting in the stands at AAMI with a very good friend of mine, who was a very handy player himself, and just being in absolute awe.

I remember that year and Modra was unstoppable. He was an absolute freak, massive talent and spectacular to watch. Privileged to have seen this. I remember sitting in the stands at AAMI with a very good friend of mine, who was a very handy player himself, and just being in absolute awe.

A fair few similarities between McGovern and Modra in terms of size, athletic profile and skill. Now admittedly Modra was on a whole other level, but McGoverns probably as close as we’ll ever see.

A fair few similarities between McGovern and Modra in terms of size, athletic profile and skill. Now admittedly Modra was on a whole other level, but McGoverns probably as close as we’ll ever see.

When McGovern puts the jets on in a game it’s crazy. He’s seriously quick.. lightning quick, maybe deceitful because of his height I feel. Remember watching him in his debut year chasing someone at Etihad and wondering who exactly he was, because his speed shocked me, he has that burst power that not many players possess.

Stringer when fit is the same, similar type of speed.

All the more reason to pump games into Doedee. He was pretty much built for taking on these big bodied midfielder/utility types when they play forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selfish? He was probably following coach’s instructions.

We smashed them in the contested possessions, just like they smashed us in the GF. Hard to put much of that against Rance.
We weren't lazy in that round 6 game.

GF our boys thought the game was won after the parade and treated Richmond accordingly.. ..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GF our boys thought the game was won after the parade and treated Richmond accordingly.. ..

This i believe ......it was a subconscious thought process, that they had Richmond's measure

Our 'inside info' seems to have dried up too. No whispers. Nothing.

I'd be more than happy with made up stuff.
I think that's a good thing. M Crouch came out of nowhere, maybe Rory will too. Being hopeful is the only way to be (I know cringe).

I think the complete opposite. I think they never truly believed it was going to happen. They expended a lot of energy trying to visualise it and be in the right mental space, and they fell apart when what they feared started to happen.

The entire narrative in the lead up was about Richmond, and I think it became self fulfilling.

Or Richmond brought the game style that has routinely exposed us for the past two seasons.

This isn't the first time that our gameplan has fallen apart when the heat is well and truly on (and really it doesn't have much chance to stand up).

I think the complete opposite. I think they never truly believed it was going to happen. They expended a lot of energy trying to visualise it and be in the right mental space, and they fell apart when what they feared started to happen.

The entire narrative in the lead up was about Richmond, and I think it became self fulfilling.

Couldnt agree more.

Just have to view pregame footage in the changerooms to see the difference in body language compared to previous finals and to the Richmond players.

Back