Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some positive words about our draftees.....

Every club: Draftee and rookie watch
Staff writers
Jan 20, 2018 9:01 AM

563050-tlslargelandscape.jpg

After his move to Fremantle, Andrew Brayshaw has been shadowing Nat Fyfe
ADEL-2.jpg

A versatile and big-bodied youngster, Darcy Fogarty has trained with the Crows forwards this pre-season and completed a large block of training so far. The club's coaches and senior players have been thrilled with his skill level and the way he has used his size to advantage in training, with the No.12 draft pick bringing a strong presence to the track. Andrew McPherson had a quad injury in 2017, but he has overcome that since arriving at West Lakes and has trained more minutes than any first-year player. Training as a half-back, he has picked up the Crows' gameplan well. Rookie Patrick Wilson started his AFL career in rehab last year with a toe injury, but he has completed every session post-Christmas, training with the midfielders and focusing on building his engine after a late start. Fellow rookie Lachlan Murphyhas been identified as a player who could replace Charlie Cameron in attack and is training as a half-forward with a lot of intensity. Father-son rookie Jackson Edwards has done the majority of the pre-season with the midfield, working on his endurance and speed away from contests.

The standout: While Fogarty is an eye-catcher, Andrew McPherson has backed up most training sessions and has quickly become conditioned to train at AFL level. His game knowledge has impressed his coaches. - Nathan Schmook
Love!

Great to have both draft picks firing. Can't wait to see them in AFLX and JLT. Kudos to whoever suggested Murphy would be training as a small forward. Good he's gonna give competition up there.

Anyone got insight into how far McPherson's body is from AFL level?

Some positive words about our draftees.....

Every club: Draftee and rookie watch
Staff writers
Jan 20, 2018 9:01 AM

563050-tlslargelandscape.jpg

After his move to Fremantle, Andrew Brayshaw has been shadowing Nat Fyfe
ADEL-2.jpg

A versatile and big-bodied youngster, Darcy Fogarty has trained with the Crows forwards this pre-season and completed a large block of training so far. The club's coaches and senior players have been thrilled with his skill level and the way he has used his size to advantage in training, with the No.12 draft pick bringing a strong presence to the track. Andrew McPherson had a quad injury in 2017, but he has overcome that since arriving at West Lakes and has trained more minutes than any first-year player. Training as a half-back, he has picked up the Crows' gameplan well. Rookie Patrick Wilson started his AFL career in rehab last year with a toe injury, but he has completed every session post-Christmas, training with the midfielders and focusing on building his engine after a late start. Fellow rookie Lachlan Murphyhas been identified as a player who could replace Charlie Cameron in attack and is training as a half-forward with a lot of intensity. Father-son rookie Jackson Edwards has done the majority of the pre-season with the midfield, working on his endurance and speed away from contests.

The standout: While Fogarty is an eye-catcher, Andrew McPherson has backed up most training sessions and has quickly become conditioned to train at AFL level. His game knowledge has impressed his coaches. - Nathan Schmook

Could Andrew McPherson become a bolter for round 1?

Great to have both draft picks firing. Can't wait to see them in AFLX and JLT. Kudos to whoever suggested Murphy would be training as a small forward. Good he's gonna give competition up there.

:)
Don't be under estimating Lachie Murphy's ability to play the Cameron role too......and he has 200% better disposal than Cameron, IMO would rate in the top 4 or 5 kicks on our list currently.

:)
Lachie can play forward too, I saw him play TAC a few times and I was very surprised he didn't get at least rookied in his draft year on what I'd seen, played mainly mid on those occasions and certainly got forward and rattled the scoreboard. What a lot don't realise with Lachie too is he doesn't turn 19 until next month, if he had been born 3 weeks later he'd have been playing U18's this year too. Won the Northern Knights B & F in 2016 also, really rapt for the lad, so very deserving. I believe he's "shacked"up with Myles Poholke and Elliott Himmelberg this season???

Unlikely to be ready for afl football after 1 pre-season. The likes of Milera should be well ahead.

Would be good if he can get a taster against a weaker team during the year.

We are looking for someone to step up into a running halfback role so he would suit that type of role. He could definitely play a few games, perhaps even round 1.

It will be a big transition for McPherson from playing very little footy in 2017 to playing AFL in 2018 however, he seems to be a very mature guy with a good footy IQ so that should stand him in good stead.

We are looking for someone to step up into a running halfback role so he would suit that type of role. He could definitely play a few games, perhaps even round 1.

It will be a big transition for McPherson from playing very little footy in 2017 to playing AFL in 2018 however, he seems to be a very mature guy with a good footy IQ so that should stand him in good stead.
I'm calling it. McPherson to debut Rd1 in Smith's role. Really, who else do we have. The kids a natural in that position.

He'll make it his and win the rising star award.

No pressure.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I'm calling it. McPherson to debut Rd1 in Smith's role. Really, who else do we have. The kids a natural in that position.

He'll make it his and win the rising star award.

No pressure.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
0af9a08ebb46029d578ba3977f0260f8.jpg

Don't be under estimating Lachie Murphy's ability to play the Cameron role too......and he has 200% better disposal than Cameron, IMO would rate in the top 4 or 5 kicks on our list currently.

Good to hear. Not to mention that's pretty big wraps on the kid.
I think good kicking is paramount now with all the flooding. Tough to execute any sort of game plan if you can't hit targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely to be ready for afl football after 1 pre-season. The likes of Milera should be well ahead.

Would be good if he can get a taster against a weaker team during the year.
Given the wraps on his character and his reported game knowledge it would not surprise me to play plenty

I think he will play more than Fog in his first year especially considering 1 Fogs need to work on his running and 2 Fog competing with Tom Lynch etc for a spot in forward line

Given the wraps on his character and his reported game knowledge it would not surprise me to play plenty

I think he will play more than Fog in his first year especially considering 1 Fogs need to work on his running and 2 Fog competing with Tom Lynch etc for a spot in forward line
I doubt it as Fogerty's body doesn't need as much development for AFL... but happy to be surprised.

I doubt it as Fogerty's body doesn't need as much development for AFL... but happy to be surprised.

TANK.....

Plenty of to do work on his skin folds as well.

McPherson is the polar opposite to Fogarty as he is way more naturally athletically gifted, an absolute running machine and there is actually a spot vacant for him with Smith's injury.....I'm sure the club would love McPherson to come on as it would mean Gibbs wouldn't be needed there. I'm with Jeffcrowe on that.

TANK.....

McPherson is the polar opposite to Fogarty as he is way more naturally athletically gifted, an absolute running machine and there is actually a spot vacant for him with Smith's injury.....I'm sure the club would love McPherson to come on as it would mean Gibbs wouldn't be needed there. I'm with Jeffcrowe on that.
McPherson is well behind Milera, Seedsman & quite a few others for Smith's spot.

Too raw imo to play round 1 or most of the year. Best he can hope for is a taste later in the year against a weaker side.

Forgerty is in a similar position & doesn't need the fitness levels of Smith replacement.

TANK.....

McPherson hopefully will develop into a top 22 player but how many out of the 70 draftees have any significant impact in their first year? That goes for Fogarty aswell

If they do it’s an absolute rarity they will take time Milera I feel is tracking well and will have the next step this year he has played some good games in the big league

Did Danger, dusty or Fyfe and they are superstars of the comp

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he, or wasn’t Hampton good enough to displace laird or Smith it would be pretty hard taking those twos position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, he does. Hampton didn't succeed at HB for GWS, allegedly because of poor disposal. He came to us not wanting to play HB. I've seen no indication that AFC wants him at HB. By the way, do any training reports have Gibbs training with the backs, as many seem to want, erroneously in my view? And, where is Gibson training?

Back