Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Stick him in, keep him in, let the forwards develop some chemistry by playing together week in, week out and watch the magic happen. He won't win the Coleman but he is good enough for ~40 goals a season and allows our other forwards to play their natural game more.

2 year contract... Means I can see him do more of this against the cats (and everyone else). Here he is lining up for his first goal back in round 14 in 2013 (A rarity, I hardly ever whip the phone out for pictures, even on a holiday).

The other part I love about that pic is you have crowley cm's away from Stevie J/or selwood? still despite it being a set play (in the bottom left).

2 year contract... Means I can see him do more of this against the cats (and everyone else). Here he is lining up for his first goal back in round 14 in 2013 (A rarity, I hardly ever whip the phone out for pictures, even on a holiday).

Bloody Hell that was a cold night.

Very pleased we have him for another two years. I think our best structure has him and one of McCarthy/Kersten up forward but probably not both. Give him the same run those others got this year in 2018 and I think he will have his break out year.
Will help with Wilson, Bennell and co kicking it to him as well.

I know this is the Tabs thread but I think people need a reminder of an in form Cam McCarthy...

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-10-11/get-excited-by-cam-mccarthy

His ceiling is still huge. He'll get back on track next year. Looking forward to seeing him and Tabs working our forward line better surrounded by Bennell, Matera, Walters etc.

Mmmm love dat white shorts policy

Glad they execute it properly now when we play the cats. Majority colour = shorts colour

He offers more than Kersten in our line up... freo should get Soa the hulk down to the club to rough him up a bit then send him off to the barber to shave his head so he stops worrying about his hair all the bloody time and finally put a photo of Cameron Ling and his wife on his locker so he realises the gals don't care about your looks if you can play football.

He offers more than Kersten in our line up... freo should get Soa the hulk down to the club to rough him up a bit then send him off to the barber to shave his head so he stops worrying about his hair all the bloody time and finally put a photo of Cameron Ling and his wife on his locker so he realises the gals don't care about your looks if you can play football.

You're talking about a doig medal top 10 here..

40+ for Tabs next year? Hmmm, I hope so but bloody hell that is a huge improvement on what he has ever done before. Its like saying that Kersten will kick 50 or McCarthy 70 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40+ for Tabs next year? Hmmm, I hope so but bloody hell that is a huge improvement on what he has ever done before. Its like saying that Kersten will kick 50 or McCarthy 70 next year.
Cmon Johnny. Surely you’ve forgotten how bad we were this year and the optimism of a fresh offseason where all of a sudden everyone is a genuine star has kicked in!

Blame Bulldogs and Richmond for giving us all hope! If they can do it, so can we! Ballas, Walters, McCarthy, Kersten, Tabs, Matera all capable of 40+! Fyfe and Bennell 1-2 in the Brownlow. AP AA. Why not!!!??!

Not really.

Tabs averaged 1.4 goals over his 8 games. In three of those games our midfield got absolutely destroyed.

If he plays 22 games next year and keeps his average of 1.4 goals he'll kick 30 goals. Assuming Tabs continues to incrementally improve and our team as a whole learns to improve we are hoping to see a 0.4 goal a game increase for Tabs to hit the 40 goal mark.

While I think he will continue to improve his own game I think the biggest difference that will help Tabs out will be a more competitive midfield and a more dangerous forward line.

Not really.

Tabs averaged 1.4 goals over his 8 games. In three of those games our midfield got absolutely destroyed.

If he plays 22 games next year and keeps his average of 1.4 goals he'll kick 30 goals. Assuming Tabs continues to incrementally improve and our team as a whole learns to improve we are hoping to see a 0.4 goal a game increase for Tabs to hit the 40 goal mark.

While I think he will continue to improve his own game I think the biggest difference that will help Tabs out will be a more competitive midfield and a more dangerous forward line.
The biggest thing that will help Tabs improve is having JESSE HOGAN taking the number one (and two) defender every week! This will also benefit McCarthy to play as the third tall. And Ballas/Matera/Walters/Bennell to crumb the packs.

If not Jesse, then Michael Apeness

Its like saying that Kersten will kick 50 or McCarthy 70 next year.

If McCarthy finds his form and becomes the kind of player he should be then he will be a consistent 30-40 goal a season player and that's fine because his work up the ground and linking up is what we need from him too - with his finish in front of goal as the cherry on top.

Well with Bennell on one HFF and Weller on the other (because Wilson is at HB), that last kick in to the 50 will be better. And Tabs will definitely clunk a few if the kicks are to his advantage. So, yep, I'll back him for a career-best year.

I don't know if Tabs will kick 40+ goals next year, and frankly I wouldn't want to hang that kind of expectation around his neck.

That being said, given his track record of steady improvement, I reckon in 2018 he'll do just fine regardless.

Tabs plays best when he's confident, and confidence comes with age.

I note that during his time at the club, Tabs has been both improving, and aging, at roughly the same pace.... probably not a coincidence, I'm doing much the same thing myself :cool::D

The guy's built like a mack truck, but I keep forgetting he's only a baby - he only turned 24 in June.

I suspect Tabs may surprise a few people next winter...not his fault he simply wasn't ripe yet.;):thumbsu:

Last edited:
I don't know if Tabs will kick 40+ goals next year, and frankly I wouldn't want to hang that kind of expectation around his neck.

That being said, given his track record of steady improvement, I reckon in 2018 he'll do just fine regardless.

Tabs plays best when he's confident, and confidence comes with age.

I note that during his time at the club, Tabs has been both improving, and aging, at roughly the same pace.... probably not a coincidence, I'm doing much the same thing myself :cool::D

The guy's built like a mack truck, but I keep forgetting he's only a baby - he only turned 24 in June.

I suspect Tabs may surprise a few people next winter...not his fault he simply wasn't ripe yet.;):thumbsu:
With age comes sTABility. It's all on the TABle. Sorry. I couldn't help it

Bump!

Since we spent about 10 pages arguing over why Tabs wasn’t getting a game, and what specifically he was asked to work on, why not hear from the Boss himself!

Quick refresher. There were those who were very upset about him not playing and believing it was due to needing to improve his ruck work. And there were those who weren’t really that phased and thought he was a bit of a derpy-derp with decision making.

People will still slam Ross for not playing him. The fact is, he’s very slow minded and that clearly needs to improve. He’s no superstar, but he’s the best we’ve got! Until Cox and Dixon overtake him. Big big year ahead for Tabs. He won’t be gifted games, but there’s plenty of opportunity if he’s good enough. Cmon son! Quick quick!

Q. Ross, what do you need to see from Tabener for him to get consistent games? Him playing to his potential consistently is exactly what we need.

A. Matthew Tabener’s a really hard working young man, he worked his way off the rookie list spot and has got good size at 196. He’s really improved his contested marking and body work, he’s got an enormous work-rate. His specific to work on his been his decision-making with the ball, both at Peel and with us, and he’s working hard on that, and also his reaction time. So when he doesn’t have the ball, his forward pressure for a big man has been a focus. But he had a cartilage operation throughout the year and then developed a stress fracture in a bone so he’s had a really limited pre-season and just starting to get back on legs over the last three weeks. We’re sure he’ll get there and he’s an important part of our list.

Bump!

Since we spent about 10 pages arguing over why Tabs wasn’t getting a game, and what specifically he was asked to work on, why not hear from the Boss himself!

Quick refresher. There were those who were very upset about him not playing and believing it was due to needing to improve his ruck work. And there were those who weren’t really that phased and thought he was a bit of a derpy-derp with decision making.

People will still slam Ross for not playing him. The fact is, he’s very slow minded and that clearly needs to improve. He’s no superstar, but he’s the best we’ve got! Until Cox and Dixon overtake him. Big big year ahead for Tabs. He won’t be gifted games, but there’s plenty of opportunity if he’s good enough. Cmon son! Quick quick!

Q. Ross, what do you need to see from Tabener for him to get consistent games? Him playing to his potential consistently is exactly what we need.

A. Matthew Tabener’s a really hard working young man, he worked his way off the rookie list spot and has got good size at 196. He’s really improved his contested marking and body work, he’s got an enormous work-rate. His specific to work on his been his decision-making with the ball, both at Peel and with us, and he’s working hard on that, and also his reaction time. So when he doesn’t have the ball, his forward pressure for a big man has been a focus. But he had a cartilage operation throughout the year and then developed a stress fracture in a bone so he’s had a really limited pre-season and just starting to get back on legs over the last three weeks. We’re sure he’ll get there and he’s an important part of our list.
So I was right, it is his ruckwork.

Pretty clear instructions from Ross there, but also quite difficult areas to fix. Effectively it is teaching him to play football. If he keeps it simple I can see something happening but our forward line has been a shambles which would not help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back