Autopsy Hawthorn Intraclub thread , Friday 9th Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot to mention, Siss started hurling a bit of abuse in the third and fourth qtr. he was told to shut up by Whitey and a few others. He and Duryea definitely don’t get along I reckon. Duryea also took Siss’s legs out in a marking contest in the 3rd. I love the kids fire, but he needs to control it as players will exploit it.
Remember those two last year. Dunno know, Duryea is more senior no doubt but he needs to try to enhance/control/teach how Siss needs to manage his passion and fire in the belly not stop it. If I showed that aggression to my staffy he would go crazier!

saw majority of the game at Waverley, lovely afternoon for footy

i would say players that dominated were:
Sicily - best on ground, absolutely dominated as a defender
Stratton - also was a great defender and provided the voice that Hodge used to down back
Mitchell - just a work horse this bloke
JOM - really worked hard, did some tough things, did some team oriented things, did some classy things.
Morrison - showed enough to be considered round 1, when things were sloppy this kid made it look easy, nice runs and passes
Howe - had a really good hit out, was sharp and did some good things, i was impressed
Burton - wasnt in a lot of play, but when he was, he looked good
Ross - this kid has skill, reminds me of a forward version of birchall, really creative
CJ - had some highlight worthy moments
Worpel - worked hard as mid and forw, was ok and has some potential

i didnt notice a few players as the blue uniform was hard to detect some players for me like Lovell/Moore/Glass/Cousins/Hardwick but i hear they also had good games.

For those who were there, does Jackson Ross have an unusual ball drop when kicking? (cue the puns).

In his TAC highlights, he seems to drop the ball quite high, and I hope this is not true, or it just works for him.

You can't be serious.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are you?

Frawley started last season looking like a reincarnation of Johnny Hay. His performances were so poor it was embarassing and then he got injured for the rest of the season.

Any person that was on the field and stood about 190cm would have been an improvement. In the case of Brand he showed a bit.

Saw the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Gunston killed em. Looks to have his real zip back.

Bruest cruised around and ripped a few plays apart.

CJ will play seniors this year. Something special without doubt. Speed poise nous...so creative.

Jaegar accumulated a heap. He didn't tear it apart with run more so helped win and control contested situations.

Mitch Lewis looking so much fitter than last year. Good signs.

Impey ok and burger put him to shame with a pick pocket. Lacks a bit of polish impey. Reckon he can get fitter too.

Big boy good. Pitto still yet to stamp.himself. nearly takes grabs.

Harry good.

Burton Sic ala 2017.

Mirra basically the same as a box hill but perhaps not quite as polished with the speed a bit quicker.

Ollie bloody clean and dangerous off the deck. Him and Cyril in the same side please. Makes things happen.

Lovell won a heap fumbled a few. Not really a fan doesn't hurt.

Who.was the lanky talking left footer across HB? BH player? Looked ok. Billy Murphy not out of his depth at all.

Worpel gee he is a different shape to what I was expecting. I don't think he is ready for seniors. He could play but not ready. Kicking needs work..

Nash ala Mitch Lewis looks much trimmer this year. Still.learning but geez he moves well athletically.

Jor won enough of it. Still plods with his flat footed running style. Looks.bloody fit.

Poppy prob not quite as fit as i was hoping. Had hoped he had trimmed down to best ever shape but looked the same. Didn't do a heap. Neither did Stratts.

Chip still a worry with ball.in hand.

Looks a really even squad with a heap of options pushing their head up this year. Looking really fit and healthy. Some very sharp passages of play skills wise. Goiing to be a very exciting year both at BH at HFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realy like what I’m reading abou cj.

We’ve only got a few spots in the best 22 available.

Keen to know who will get that wing spot
CJs development looks to be his fitness rather than strength skills etc. Certainly got something. Did make a couple of mistakes such a dropping an overhead mark he should have eaten up but ability wise is a fantastic prospect. He looks a forward to me.

Just got home after the game and a Parma at the Mulgrave Country Club. My thoughts:

What an impressive group of young players we have. Worpel was very good. He reads the ball so well at the centre bounces and just knows where it's going to go. he played well all 4 qtr's, maybe faded a little in the last. Ross was extremely impressive, whether playing on a wing or in the fwd line, he moves well, kicks well and uses his footy nous to do good things, actually got better as the game went on and was probably one of the very best in the last. Moore worked hard and did some really nice things but wasn't as prominent as Worpel and Ross.

Morrison was sensational in the first half, faded but still good in the second half. Has to play most of this season.

Connor Nash looks to be one of the big improvers of the preseason. Playing forward, his second half was very good and his two goals were superb. Cousins exuded toughness and class and got better as the game went on.

Hanrahan bolted out of the blocks and was outstanding in the first half, not as good in the second. He is a tough and skillful player with X factor.

CJ had flashes of brilliance with his big grab and snapped goal but what was more encouraging was some of his work to get on the end of a chain of handballs or be the outside receiver from the pack and then pick a good kick or handball option which he did a number of times. It showed that he isn't just flashy, he also knows how to play footy.

Sicily was best on ground, did as he pleased in the backline for the orange team. Hardwick not far behind.

Stratts was huge, almost playing a Gibbo role, using his fist to spoil effectively time and again.

O'Brien was very solid, and at times very good playing in defence. If he clunked a few more he would have been excellent.

Lewis seemed to be involved in a lot of the play and was

O'Rourke was good, got better as the game went on. If he can stay fit and build on tonight's performance then he still has something to offer.

Didn't see Lovell's game in quite as good a light as others. Thought he was OK, but needs to to be better with his use of the ball.

JOM worked into it and was a mix of toughness, class and precision without being a standout.

I'll add anything I remember tomorrow after a decent nights sleep.

I can only assume with these reports that we’re a solid chance for the flag this year. That’s what I’m taking away from it.
Fair chance for 1st & 2nd, the way this game is going!

If we can find a way to have mids who can run and outnumber the oppo all day, do well in the clinches, half frwds that are ferocious at the footy and the man, backs who can intercept and become play makers off the halfbackline , move the ball quickly , then I don't see room for both Chip and/or Brand, one might be enough.
Today's footy is all about constant movement with and without the ball, so we need nippy mids who can run and play in different positions all day.

the only down side for me watching the game was our veterans were very flat, Roughead fumbled and couldnt really get into the game, poppy was fumbling and got a couple of goals just through pace and being in the right spot but he looked like he was playing poorly overall, breust was quiet for most of the game, Burgoyne was quiet, although that tackle/steal on Impey was pure class.... (Birchall/Smith/Rioli not playing)

what concerns me is the veterans will come out plodding in the begging of the year like 2017, that is my 1 concern atm, but the youngsters that have been highlighted are all very exciting to see and theres interest in how they will develop in 2018....

Are you?

Frawley started last season looking like a reincarnation of Johnny Hay. His performances were so poor it was embarassing and then he got injured for the rest of the season.

Any person that was on the field and stood about 190cm would have been an improvement. In the case of Brand he showed a bit.

Haha the whole team was horrible in the early parts of the season. Our pressure work and our inability to stop the rebound from our forward line hurt Frawley. Since Clarkson has been our coach our backline is not focused on winning sole one on one marking contests we want numbers bacl. We play possesion football with our top end disposal by foot, and we move the ball slowly up field and unless we find and honour a clear lead by a forward we look for a long kick to force a stoppage in the forward line or hopefully a free kick. The long bombs are frustrating but we do it to set up a wall behind the ball for the rebound. If the opposition pushes back harder then us and we have multiple forwards shooting and spreading for a lead and they happen to fumble the mark we find ourself with no forward line predictable pressure. We have out of position forwards who arent in the vicinity to pressure. This leads to the fast ball movement that has hurt our tall defenders from the jump since Clarko has been in chsrge.

Frawley is a very good tall defender but the way we play its live by the sword die by the sword. We are predictable with our ball movement upforward, but if we cant lock it down there we get chewed up on the rebound this leaving our talls to defend space rather then staying on the hip of their opponent in the hopes to slow down the midfielder ahead with ball in hand. We have been exploited like this many times in the past and its why Gibbo was so important to us. He can float between forwards and cause hesitation in the ball movement or atleast cut across and help Frawley. Frawley isnt as good as Lake one on one but he is an above average defender. But when the structure breaks down and he is stuck either trying to cover space OR try body his forward because were drilled to have a third tall peel off and assist in the contest. Frawley much like all our tall defenders in the last ten years have been caught out and looked average but in most cases the blame is upfield and not on the defender. Chip will do his job this season when required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back