Preview JLT 1: GWS v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is that our best team with play JLT 2 and we won't see Blair, Oxley, Mayne and maybe some others. We will instead hopefully see Treloar again, and one or two of the other injured boys. This team looks to me like a "expose some fringe and youngsters and see what they can do" team.
God I hope you are right!

We get em in round 2

Lets keep our powder dry
The big ones next

Guys not named will be first picked round 1

Not the point I was making.

Giving the best 22 the best preparation possible and allow them to get rust out under game conditions requires more then 1 week. Which means said players who only get 1 game in will still be rusty as * come the first few weeks.

New team mates will be still feeling their way through and the team in general need to gel as a unit under game conditions (not training conditions).

Add this to the benny hill show of last season ie mainly due to a lack of confidence the group has, I would think it best to get some positive early wins (even JLT ones) and hit the ground running, not fumbling our way through rounds 1-3.

You dudes complaining about the lineup named. At least you didn’t pay $180 (one way) to go up and watch this like Mongo.

Still .. if Maynard plays forward pocket :drunk: as named it’ll be worth it.

In all seriousness keen to see Aisho continue the PS form and hopefully get some McFarty and Daics action and I’m happy.

They better have hot dogs.

Not the point I was making.

Giving the best 22 the best preparation possible and allow them to get rust out under game conditions requires more then 1 week. Which means said players who only get 1 game in will still be rusty as **** come the first few weeks.

New team mates will be still feeling their way through and the team in general need to gel as a unit under game conditions (not training conditions).

Add this to the benny hill show of last season ie mainly due to a lack of confidence the group has, I would think it best to get some positive early wins (even JLT ones) and hit the ground running, not fumbling our way through rounds 1-3.

So GWS have not picked Lobbe, Deledio, Haynes, Greene, and Scully. Are they not best 22 or is GWS also running the Benny Hill show?

Not all best 22 players play both preseason games at any club. Get a grip.

Last edited:
As I said context in those practice matches is key, Bombers were at one point 27 points up in the 3rd term and the guy who destroys us in Daniher did not play. It was not surprising to see them kick on vs us in regular season.

We should of beat the Tiges in our first match season proper and head to head weren't too far off vs them. So again close form line, tiges won a lot of close games we lost a lot of close games.
Had we won a few early close ones I'd say our end finish result would of been vastly different and so too for Tigers had they dropped a few of the close ones (like they did in years previous).

Our early close losses eroded the belief and put the blow torch on the group which then started the Benny hill show.

1 JLT game is not enough to get rid of the kinks or rust or gel, it means come round 1 we will be behind the 8 ball compared to the teams who feild stronger 22's across both games.

Anyway it may not be world ending but imo its also not ideal preparation and rather annoying given where the club is at.

Eh, preseason can be indicative sure, but do you remember Carlton winning the Comp in 2013 or 2014? Or the fact that Hawthorn tanked every Pre season game during 2012-2015? There are plenty of different approaches and not enough evidence to really start drawing conclusions based on the outcomes of them as they’re all over the shop.

What’s the point in trading out a second round pick for Sam Murray, and then name him as emergency?

Unless he’s extremly sore from AFLX.

But Murray may well play. According to the Pies website he is part of the extended bench:

Int (from): Jarryd Blair, Ben Crocker, Josh Daicos, Tyson Goldsack, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Sam McLarty, Sam Murray, Tom Phillips, Ben Reid, Matthew Scharenberg, Jaidyn Stephenson, Josh Thomas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, preseason can be indicative sure, but do you remember Carlton winning the Comp in 2013 or 2014? Or the fact that Hawthorn tanked every Pre season game during 2012-2015? There are plenty of different approaches and not enough evidence to really start drawing conclusions based on the outcomes of them as they’re all over the shop.

No. But I do remember Brisbane winning it in the same period. Some funny s**t happened back then, too:

Yrmad55.gif

Point is well taken, though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back