Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like what was said about Martin around the same age...

The issue is people use the Martin of now to compare to Degoey at 21/22 rather then Martin of 21
In Martin’s second season he played 22 games, averaged 21 disposals and kicked over 30 goals. Most importantly he was consistently producing those numbers.

De Goey isn’t as good as Martin was then, and is very unlikely to be as good as Martin is now. He’s just not in that class.

It’s not pessimistic at all. Why on earth would we pay overs to keep a mid/forward who has yet to play consistently?
Last year he played consistently .. for a young player he was a good contributor on a fairly consistent basis in a tough position in a s**t team. As Mike said.. he's an impact player... he doesn't need 25-30 touches to justify himself like say a Tom Phillips so turning to stats is not helping your argument. It's also his top end which we have only glimpsed so far but which we know elevates him above the average.
Admit it.. you are pissed off with him for his of-field stuff and you have let it cloud your judgement of his value to our list.

Anyone watching and liking what Josh Caddy is doing for Richmond this year? His opening rounds this season have been incredible. Doing so much damage 1v1 deep up front and then pushing up through the midfield and winning it, he's like another Dustin Martin, and is basically switching into the midfield as Martin switches forward - so that they always have one or the other in one zone.

De Goey isn't Martin, but he can be Caddy and something like what Caddy would be playing Dusty's role.

If St Kilda finished with pick 1, and Collingwood could move De Goey and Collingwood's first picks for 2018/2019 to get pick 1, and ideally like a few later picks in return, though maybe even without it I'd probably still make the move. Such a move for pick 1 would be a scenario I'd entertain a De Goey trade. Do you want Caddy and a couple of mid first round picks? Or do you want an elite kicking version of Nick Riewoldt? That's what you'd be pondering in making such an offer.

If it's pick 2 St Kilda have, one of those first round picks immediately gets removed and I'd be asking for McCartin in addition to the pick (Max King would be the choice) for De Goey and Collingwood's first round pick. McCartin is worth next to nothing, but he feels like he needs a fresh start and is someone I give a chance to develop if used correctly.

If it's pick 3 (which isn't as valuable to Collingwood if Lukosius and M.King go 1/2) I'd be asking for pick 3 (maybe you go Ben King for a key defender) and McCartin for De Goey. And that's not a trade St Kilda would accept, but that third pick I wouldn't be trading with such urgency for, as I see De Goey very much as an essential long term piece.

If De Goey can be traded for Lukosius, you have to do it. If it nets Max King, if he continues to dominate as he did in round 1 with his 8 goals, I'd have to consider him also given Collingwood's key forward need. Failing that, I'd be expecting overs to all that seriously look at moving De Goey. He has the scope to become the clubs best midfielder, and should show further progress this season in his development.

Last year he played consistently .. for a young player he was a good contributor on a fairly consistent basis in a tough position in a s**t team. As Mike said.. he's an impact player... he doesn't need 25-30 touches to justify himself like say a Tom Phillips so turning to stats is not helping your argument. It's also his top end which we have only glimpsed so far but which we know elevates him above the average.
Admit it.. you are pissed off with him for his of-field stuff and you have let it cloud your judgement of his value to our list.
I never said he was average, I said he was a good player. I’m very happy to keep him on less than $500k. Your last sentence is childish.

In Martin’s second season he played 22 games, averaged 21 disposals and kicked over 30 goals. Most importantly he was consistently producing those numbers.

De Goey isn’t as good as Martin was then, and is very unlikely to be as good as Martin is now. He’s just not in that class.

If you can tell the medical fraternity how they can predict growth spirts.. then I guess your argument has weight to it re.. ade re.. look at Mo Salah for eg.. who the f would have predicted his impact in the EPL this yr..

I never said he was average, I said he was a good player. I’m very happy to keep him on less than $500k. Your last sentence is childish.
You don't let a player like him walk for the sake of $50K as you suggested. You are suggesting we play hardball and not meet his demands because of what then? if my assumption about your thinking is "childish"?

Anyone watching and liking what Josh Caddy is doing for Richmond this year? His opening rounds this season have been incredible. Doing so much damage 1v1 deep up front and then pushing up through the midfield and winning it, he's like another Dustin Martin, and is basically switching into the midfield as Martin switches forward - so that they always have one or the other in one zone.

De Goey isn't Martin, but he can be Caddy and something like what Caddy would be playing Dusty's role.

If St Kilda finished with pick 1, and Collingwood could move De Goey and Collingwood's first picks for 2018/2019 to get pick 1, and ideally like a few later picks in return, though maybe even without it I'd probably still make the move. Such a move for pick 1 would be a scenario I'd entertain a De Goey trade. Do you want Caddy and a couple of mid first round picks? Or do you want an elite kicking version of Nick Riewoldt? That's what you'd be pondering in making such an offer.

If it's pick 2 St Kilda have, one of those first round picks immediately gets removed and I'd be asking for McCartin in addition to the pick (Max King would be the choice) for De Goey and Collingwood's first round pick. McCartin is worth next to nothing, but he feels like he needs a fresh start and is someone I give a chance to develop if used correctly.

If it's pick 3 (which isn't as valuable to Collingwood if Lukosius and M.King go 1/2) I'd be asking for pick 3 (maybe you go Ben King for a key defender) and McCartin for De Goey. And that's not a trade St Kilda would accept, but that third pick I wouldn't be trading with such urgency for, as I see De Goey very much as an essential long term piece.

If De Goey can be traded for Lukosius, you have to do it. If it nets Max King, if he continues to dominate as he did in round 1 with his 8 goals, I'd have to consider him also given Collingwood's key forward need. Failing that, I'd be expecting overs to all that seriously look at moving De Goey. He has the scope to become the clubs best midfielder, and should show further progress this season in his development.
You are delusional if you think De Goey has that much value. He is seriously damaged goods.

The only deal that is some what realistic is McCartin for De Goey but it will be Collingwood adding the pick not St Kilda.

If DeGoey was at another club and said he wanted to come to the Pies next year, what would you give?
With our strong midfield probably a second round pick.

You are delusional if you think De Goey has that much value. He is seriously damaged goods.

The only deal that is some what realistic is McCartin for De Goey but it will be Collingwood adding the pick not St Kilda.

McCartin for De Goey plus steak knives???

F Me this place is the twilight zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't let a player like him walk for the sake of $50K as you suggested. You are suggesting we play hardball and not meet his demands because of what then? if my assumption about your thinking is "childish"?
I’d start by offering him a one year extension at $400k

I see De Goey's value as being well under what his actual worth is. That's why I would be placing a high price on his head.

As I was saying, the condition to trading him is that the return is strong.

In the case of the trade suggestion for pick one, giving up De Goey and two first rounders might make St Kilda think, if they have pick one, identified and want De Goey, and want to give their midfield a boost. Maybe they consider it depending on Collingwood's ladder finish and projection of success or otherwise for 2019.

The speculation about what he is or isn't worth is a bit futile. The market moves in mysterious ways.

What's less mysterious is that JDG is a very important player for us. His upside is enormous, and the signs he showed last year indicated a player who will be able to impact games in a serious way. We haven't got enough value for our top draft picks in recent years, and JDG is not a prospect we should let walk away. He's already among the two best players from his draft year, and in my opinion has the potential to be a top 10 player in the competition.

Stopped reading how are st kilda getting pick 1?

McCartin for De Goey plus steak knives???

F Me this place is the twilight zone.
If Degoey is damage goods, whats McCartin.
Not getting it. Something strange going on tonight. Even knighty tonight to get number one. Degoey plus ours this and next years first rounders. Full moon is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back