Prediction Changes for the Dogs - Reid, Daicos & Greenwood in for Wells, Fasolo & Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHE is such a frustrating player because he is so highly talented and could be a 50 goal season forward in the mould of a Gunston/Breust if he can put it all together consistently.

Last round was a perfect illustration of what he might be if he takes all those marking opportunities he got a fair piece of and made a couple of better decisions in front of goal.

Still he's comfortably best 22 IMO and Daicos will have to find another to make way for him.

Do you think he will be much worse then WHE up forward?

How good has WHE the forward really been? Not that great that it would leave a huge hole, in fact I think he could match his output given time.

Eventually you just have to have faith and back in the youth or risk treading water (or worse go backwards) with known mediocre/inconsistent types with little room for growth.

WHE had 16 disp 2 tackles and 2 goals. Im sure thy are a set of numbers that are realistic targets if Daicos was given 75% ToG. Allowing WHE tobe moved back to wing.

I reckon WHE has been important and continually dangerous. He's a genuine threat on the lead and thus been dragging opponents out - one of the few in our team who does this. His pace has caused a fair few turnover goals, as well as being able to get out in front of the defence on quick transitions. If he continues to spend as much time deep forward, I think 3+ goal games will happen - should have happened against the Saints, but he was stupid a couple of times in the last. I'm expecting him to kick 30-40 goals this year. I'd only move him from his current position for Elliott. If I wanted to bring Daicos in for Mayne, I'd be asking Daicos to play wing, but have no idea if his two way running, tank and pressure is good enough for the role. I'll leave those assessments for VFL watchers.

On the subject of developing youth, I think we disagree. I'm happy for them to develop in the VFL until genuinely ready. For me, early exposure can impact confidence and set the player back. Once again no idea with Daicos.

Reid trained strongly today and is a likely in and he also signed a one year contract extension.
Well there's your replacement for Faz. I suspect that will be the only change, unless Maynard also gets up physically, in which case I'd expect Appleby or perhaps Murray would miss.

Well there's your replacement for Faz. I suspect that will be the only change, unless Maynard also gets up physically.
Fas reported to be 6 to 8 weeks out. Yep, Reid in for Fas looks the only likely change.

WHE has kicked 15 goals (our no.1 goal kicker...) this season so is on track for a 30-40 goal season. I'm a Daicos fan but not sure you could expect that from him given he's kicked 1 goal in his two games ever...

Not all as a pure forward.

WHE will continue to kick goals as a winger pushing forward.

So you don't think Daicos will improve on his first 2 games as an 18 yo?

FWIW
Game 1 10 disp and 10 tackles.
Game 2 12 disp and 1g 1b 2 tackles.

Do you think he could improve on those numbers as the year wanes on and he adjusts to tempo?

Last edited:
I prefer it too.

Mason Cox just doesn't lead at the ball. We still need someone leading up at the ball carrier. Reid is more suited to this. I think we'll struggle with one tall against more organized defences.

Unfortunately Reid wasn't leading at the footy either. He's been playing like a shrewd flanker or perhaps a CHB who gets to good positions and then makes early body contact triying to work his opponent under the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon WHE has been important and continually dangerous. He's a genuine threat on the lead and thus been dragging opponents out - one of the few in our team who does this. His pace has caused a fair few turnover goals, as well as being able to get out in front of the defence on quick transitions. If he continues to spend as much time deep forward, I think 3+ goal games will happen - should have happened against the Saints, but he was stupid a couple of times in the last. I'm expecting him to kick 30-40 goals this year. I'd only move him from his current position for Elliott. If I wanted to bring Daicos in for Mayne, I'd be asking Daicos to play wing, but have no idea if his two way running, tank and pressure is good enough for the role. I'll leave those assessments for VFL watchers.

On the subject of developing youth, I think we disagree. I'm happy for them to develop in the VFL until genuinely ready. For me, early exposure can impact confidence and set the player back. Once again no idea with Daicos.

Daicos has been performing in the VFL.

Early exposure can impact negatively but it can impact positively on them by fast tracking them to the experienced needed at the elite level (which cant be gained in 2s), it depends on the individual and how equipped your team is to have youth in it. Is it too early for him? well did it hurt him last year?

WHE will also hit the scoreboard as a winger who pushes inside 50, the way we play it's not like he doesn't push down the ground (pies love uber flooding both ends) anyway and have to work back. Daicos role would be slightly different to WHE as well given different strength of each.

I'd be fine with him on a wing also.

Daicos has been performing in the VFL.

Early exposure can impact negatively but it can impact positively on them by fast tracking them to the experienced needed at the elite level (which cant be gained in 2s), it depends on the individual and how equipped your team is to have youth in it. Is it too early for him? well did it hurt him last year?

WHE will also hit the scoreboard as a winger who pushes inside 50, the way we play it's not like he doesn't push down the ground (pies love uber flooding both ends) anyway and have to work back. Daicos role would be slightly different to WHE as well given different strength of each.

I'd be fine with him on a wing also.

For Elliott, I'd move WHE to a wing in a heartbeat, but for an unproven goal kicker who doesn't project as a bloke for whom presenting on the lead will be a strength, no way. I just think with our talls not presenting at the footy, we have to have a couple of guys up forward who are dangerous like that.

Does Daicos appear fit enough to play wing at AFL? If yes, I'd have no issues with playing him there over Mayne to see how he goes.

I reckon WHE has been important and continually dangerous. He's a genuine threat on the lead and thus been dragging opponents out - one of the few in our team who does this

Cox is another and as much as I'm not an uber fan of the big fella he does bring 1 or 2 defenders with him which gives us more space to work with I50. He's no superstar but I'd imagine we'd be worse without him because of what he brings structurally.

WHE is such a frustrating player because he is so highly talented and could be a 50 goal season forward in the mould of a Gunston/Breust if he can put it all together consistently.

Last round was a perfect illustration of what he might be if he takes all those marking opportunities he got a fair piece of and made a couple of better decisions in front of goal.

Still he's comfortably best 22 IMO and Daicos will have to find another to make way for him.

Agree. Making a good fist of the forward role. Dropped down in possession numbers from last years more midfield role but more than doubled his scoreboard impact. Still lots of development in him I think given his disrupted time at GWS, so I doubt he'll be omitted anytime soon.

The question of whether he should possibly move back to the midfield I think is really interesting, especially without known quantities in Elliott or Fasolo to fill the void. I think Daicos is a very good prospect and I don't doubt he'd fill the role..... eventually. I'm also a huge fan of Kirby but we all know his situation. I'd also like to see Murphy given more forward time at VFL because I think he could be a fantastic forward from what I've seen to date.

None of which does anything to temper concerns about short term pain through the transition. I don't think we're a genuine contender this year so I'm happy to work to the longer term goals. But you want to also be moving WHS to a wing as a replacement for Mayne if you're adopting that mindset. Mayne is currently contributing and playing his role so that isn't as easy a thing to do as some suggest, but it's the best thing for the longer term.

Cox is another and as much as I'm not an uber fan of the big fella he does bring 1 or 2 defenders with him which gives us more space to work with I50. He's no superstar but I'd imagine we'd be worse without him because of what he brings structurally.
Agree, although I think recently he's been playing too deep, was more effective when he was more often getting to 70 metres out.

I’d love to see Sier play. Could he come in for Varcoe with Treloar roaming the forward line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back