Autopsy Rnd 10 2018 Swans vs Brisvegas

Remove this Banner Ad

lol
okay :p

Gee I just think the whole luck argument that you are suggesting could be applied to many games, a lot of lucky teams out there. If you are arguing Brisbane's misses means we were lucky surely us missing some earlier on means that they were lucky that we weren't further in front? Also they had 2 more scoring shots to us in the end (who knows how many were rushed behinds), it's not like they were 1 goal 20. They weren't good enough, we were better.

Btw for what it's worth I think luck is when say you get a whole bunch of dodgey frees or say you get a free in front of goal in the last couple of minutes that wasn't there that wins the game. If you are not capable of or not allowed to (due to your opposition's great defence) kick goals that is not a question of luck. Us having a great defence is not luck. Anyway agree to disagree.
As Arnold Palmer (I think) famously said “the more I practise, the luckier I get”.

Those player ratings make little sense.

Do you reckon Papley had a better game than say Rampe and Grundy?

Nope just something to add to the eye test

I mainly like to personally see which quarters were individual players best

Finally back from the long trip from Lismore!

Solid win and performance.

Even though it was close most of the game, Brisbane never really looked a chance and we played the majority of the game on our terms. We always looked in control.

In the first half in particular, the conditions were very ordinary with consistent showers which made conditions very tricky indeed.

Re inside 50s, we were ahead if I recall until the last quarter.

Hewett was best on ground for mine, was very clean in the conditions. Had 10 clearances, 424m gained and had 22 pressure acts. 7 inside 50 and 5 tackles. Really starting to come into his own at this level. Been a bit fan of this kid and noted him prior to our drafting as a favourite of mine and was very happy we picked him up.

Kennedy also very very good and back to the sort of games we have come to expect from him.

Florent again another 20 disp game, is really starting to belong now. Near 600m gained.

Rampe was excellent in defence.

Franklin was a bit out of sorts but it wasn’t a game for our talls. We just put the ball on their heads and asked for a contest in the air.

McCartin looked a bit lost at times. I felt he often got caught out of position when the ball came in high, however, most of the time he still managed to impact the contest which is a credit to him. His efforts on the outer wing (from my perspective) in one contest was great to see.

A mixed first outing for Stoddart. He looked a bit lost at times however he has plenty to work with and will be better for the experience.

Hayward is such a smart player. That chest mark he took in the forward 50, he just found a way to meet the ball and protect it. Just put himself in the right position to mark and protect that ball. Smart footy mind I suspect.

I really like Ronkes positioning. He gets himself into good position to impact the contest, again like Hayward above just had a smart footy mind.

Terrific 2 way game from Hewett; 28 disposals, 10 clearances, 7 inside 50s and fine defensive game on Zorko.

Defence superb, collectively and individually.

Looking at Ronke he just looks as if he belongs and just as importantly knows it.

Watching on TV saw a couple of strong unrewarded running efforts from Hannebery in the last qtr.
Thought he looked as if he was getting back into the swing of things tonight.
BOG next week. You heard it here first. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The midfield was incredible with 34 disposals, 23 contested, 7 tackles and 7 clearances. Just immense, and irreplaceable by anyone on our list

Sinclair has been good but came up against the best mobile ruckman in the league today. He isn't the first to get absolutely humiliated, and he won't be the last

Ronke is miles ahead of Rohan in terms of game sense, forward pressure, scoreboard impact, and consistency. What a good inclusion

You'd be a very brave person to write off a 27 year old, but Hannebery is on a worrying and consistent downward spiral. Needs a circuit breaker

Are you suggesting our whole midfield got those figures? If you are then I think you are deluded

Now what the @#$% was Gardiner's problem? Game was pretty much over, nothing in the tackle and he goes Hayward who is about as clean a young player as you can get. Punches Hayward twice at the bottom of the pack. Hope he gets rubbed out.

Hayward must be a strong bugger - Gardiner run straight up at him and ends up on his arse like he's just run into a wall

Have to disagree completely there.

IMO there is a difference between doing the relatively simple things well/not making skill errors, as Macca usually does, & having an influence on the way we play. When Macca plays his best it changes the way we play, in a good way. IMO his performance is NOT at that level.

Can someone explain to me why the expert commentators are continually talking about the swans as a hardened team of veterans and our opponents as young teams on the rise?

Our team today included...

Hayward
Papley
Stoddart
McCartin
Ronke
Florent
Marsh
Hewett

They honestly have no idea.

I do not comment on the umpires very often, because I don't believe there is some great conspiracy by the AFL to crucify us. The only time I've ever commented on it was in regards to the 2016 GF debacle, and that was only because it was blatantly obvious that we were on the wrong side of the AFL's fairytale story (in other words, it was more about pro-Bulldogs than anti-Swans.)

But **** me this game was such an embarrassing display of bias umpiring. We couldn't even touch them without the umpires blowing their whistle, and in a wet affair where nearly every contest looked like there was a free either way, how the umps kept finding ones for the Lions and not for us was a joke. They actually kept the Lions in it because they just had so many gifted possessions go their way that started passages of play for them.

To Brisbane's credit I thought their pressure put ours to shame. They smashed us in tackles, but they also looked more hungrier at the Swans players than the Swans did with the Lions players. I suspect it was that we were kind of struggling to get off the canvas in a wet game, and it can often leave a team lacking spirit. We didn't exactly get out of that sluggish second gear, but we did enough to win, so that's a huge positive, especially as Brisbane were basically producing close to their best footy given the conditions.

Negatives: Hannebery and Jack ( :( ), McCartin looked a little lost at sea but he'll have games like that, when Buddy is having a dirty day he's a liability, champagne footy that makes me wonder if we thought we had this game won from early on, midfield getting beaten yet again.

Positives: Heeney's hands (that sounds wrong), Hewett was MASSIVE in the second half, Lloyd was typically awesome, Sir Dane-Grundy-Smith combination is just epic when they're on song, Ronke and Hayward becoming genuine goalkickers on a weekly basis, the first half for Papley and Florent, the two Harry's were important today.

Stoddart had a decent debut but he looked hesitant to take the game on like he'd like to. Was possibly a combination of nerves and the conditions but as he gets more chances hope he learns to back himself a little more. I wasn't that impressed with how we played today we just made goals happen from nothing. I guess that's the sign of a good team. We went up to face a team that have troubled plenty of others, on their home deck, with the conditions being the great equaliser, playing against 25, with 5 teenagers in the side, with a handful of our best players out, and some of our leaders way out of form, yet we led all day.

I'm telling you all I think we will win the flag this year, I really do. Sooo much upside and room for improvement compared to all the other contenders.

I dont get the love for Marsh .He regularly turns it over..never seen him win a one out contest .His one kick for the game was nice though .

You must be an Aliir fan.

I think Marsh is very reliable. Never outstanding but solid and dependable. Plus he provides that extra height and strength down back. If you were wondering why Sir Dane and Grundy had the confidence to go for some intercept marks and leave their men, it’s because they had the safety net of an extra tall(ish) defender down back. That’s what made them so dangerous in 2016 when they BOTH should have been All Australians, and it will be key again this year.

Not a win that will stay uppermost in the memory. However we got the 4 points. The standard reflected the conditions.

JPK was terrific as was George. If JPK is a beast, then George is the 'Beastling'.

The backline was again rock solid, though I thought we missed Mills. At the pointy end of the season it would be good to have more intercept marking and run. Honest trier, though he is, Harry Marsh is not the answer.

Ollie, Ronke and the Hayburner sweat footy IQ. While the Hayburner gets teased for being the coach's pet, the other two must be giving him competition.

I thought the Stud and McCartin were ok and would persist with both (two of TM's games have been in ordinary conditions, less than ideal for a young tall).

Neither Hanners nor Bud look fit to me.

Overall, given the injury list, we are very well placed.

I didn’t think Hannebery was too bad.

Interestingly...
- Hannebery recorded the fastest average speed across the whole game of 9.5km/hr ahead of Ronke and Stoddart and second fastest for the Swans in attack (behind Ronke)

- he had 7 inside 50s

- Had 17 disp @ 76% and most of his ball was in the forward half

So given he only played 62% of game time I’d expect him to only get better from here. The effort is clearly there and he will run out games better as the season goes on.

On another note the idea we didn’t work as hard as Brisbane is wrong too. We ran 14km longer across the game than them (301.8 v 287.7)

Ronke covered the most distance with 15.7km.

We had very even performance across our group whilst Brisbane relied more heavily on 3-4 players to get the job done.

Ronke has been a revelation, even without taking into account his anomaly 7 goal game. Our forward line looks more dangerous in terms of speed and class/smarts. I can't believe how easily he's adapted to seniors footy. And it finally caused Longmire to hold Rohan to a higher standard than previouly - now that Rohan's main attribute is not rare - which I was always in favour of.

The defence were outstanding. They were given a hell of a lot to do but they never really looked worried or challenged.

Sinclair got murdered but Stef Martin is a brilliant player so no shame. Hewett and Kennedy toiled hard despite having to read Martin's taps.

McCartin looked out of his depth in the wet yesterday but that's understandable for such a young tall. I'd keep him in for sure and back him to be better next week, we need two genuine talls who know what they're doing and compete.

Heeney is just so god damn smooth. I have him leading the Skilton for sure so far. The only Swan yet to play a bad game this year imo. And I wasn't convinced of Florent and his trajectory last year but oh boy does he look really good already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back