Pyke described perfectly on OTC

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting piece from an article regarding the new Socceroos coach. Seems quite relevant.

But the change from Postecoglou to van Marwijk is stark.

Postecoglou famously said his Plan B was doing Plan A better. It was a mantra that was almost to his disadvantage during qualification.

With van Marwijk, the Socceroos have a far more pragmatic coach.

He does but...

Hartigan's injury helped save us from our self-inflicted structure error.

And Mackay's injury forced us to use Milera at half back.

And our woeful performance last week forced us to rest Sloane.

It will be interesting to see whether Pyke takes these inadvertent successes on board. Will we go in too tall again? Will he opt for DMac at half back instead of Milera when both are available? Will he allow a senior player to limp around ineffectively instead of playing a kid?

It's almost a fork in the road moment for Pyke. He can add these "learnings" to his repertoire. Or he can discard them and fall short again.
I feel sick

Interesting piece from an article regarding the new Socceroos coach. Seems quite relevant.
BVM is the same, the difference is his plan A suits the calibre of player he has. Ange pigheadedly tried to turn players into players they werent.

Plan b

throw McGovern back

Tex to centerhalf forward

Sloane as a free ranging wingman

Hide macay where he or his man cant get the ball..

Works well when those players are fit

This was part of the reason I posted the losses and how I felt that they finished. For mine a lot of the losses are attitude losses ie switched on players. To a point you are correct that it is the players who drive that , but I argue it is also driven from above. If there is no pressure from above to perform then the consequences are zero so the effort at times becomes zero.

Its been pointed out that the only motivation needed is to drive that GF loss out of peoples minds, but ffs I dont see that. Geoffa32 asked for our players to bring pressure and effort. Yet that should be a standard game day plan regardless of the team. That this lack of effort isnt 'punished' is , to me , an indictment of the coaching group. Broken record but we all saw Pyke spitting chips after a non-effort by Rory Atkins. Did anything happen? Did Rory get blasted in the public arena? Nope all in-house and cuddles. He may well have got blasted but as a businessman even Don knows the threat of getting the sack from a high paying job can transform those who want to - and those who dont should get moved on

/rant

There is also little pressure from outside the immediate club (unlike PA) as was used so cleverly by Blight when he was in command. Having a loud swell of unrest/outrage from the fans, let alone coaches, that has a direct effect on the players and the playing culture is a thing of the past. The AFC has systematically closed ranks and steadily devolved in all forms of openness, inclusiveness and accountability for roller coaster performances for some years now. And whether it be 'but there's nobody better to select' or just a bewildering 'gold card' reason, the year by year continuance of Mackay is testament to the lack of pressure in the club. If I hear once more the line of ' that's not the way we want to play' I'm gonna......I don't know what I'll do.

There is also little pressure from outside the immediate club (unlike PA) as was used so cleverly by Blight when he was in command. Having a loud swell of unrest/outrage from the fans, let alone coaches, that has a direct effect on the players and the playing culture is a thing of the past. The AFC has systematically closed ranks and steadily devolved in all forms of openness, inclusiveness and accountability for roller coaster performances for some years now. And whether it be 'but there's nobody better to select' or just a bewildering 'gold card' reason, the year by year continuance of Mackay is testament to the lack of pressure in the club. If I hear once more the line of ' that's not the way we want to play' I'm gonna......I don't know what I'll do.
"But the reality is..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he winning at the Blues? He wasn’t sacked at Pies he stupidly passed the job onto Bucks. He left the Eagles and Bulldogs. Am I missing something?
You don't really think Malthouse handed his team over to Buckley willingly, do you?

It's hard for me to get annoyed at Pyke when you look at the squad he's working with right now. Last night's team was the weakest Crows team on paper in the last 7 years.

That's not unfair, but if Neil Pyke continues to play out of form senior players in the vein hope that we'll scrape into the 8 and anything will happen, he'll deserve everything sent his way. So far, his messaging is exactly that, so he's asking for criticism.

It's hard for me to get annoyed at Pyke when you look at the squad he's working with right now. Last night's team was the weakest Crows team on paper in the last 7 years.

I don't think the squad is the real problem, I think it is the Footy Ops dept and the Board is why we see a performance like last night

Apparently to Don 'its all noise' and that echoes Chapmans responses to CM ' We arent focussing on that'

Pyke & Chapman might not be thinking about CM but the players definately are.
The players are tired of being ignored.
The club needed to come out this week and say they are not doing CM anymore

Might be the weakest squad, but takes nothing to man up and put pressure on. Jogging along while your player is sprinting shows mentally weak players who shouldn't be getting games in the AFL. It's been happening for weeks and in JJ's and Atkin's case for years.

That's not unfair, but if Neil Pyke continues to play out of form senior players in the vein hope that we'll scrape into the 8 and anything will happen, he'll deserve everything sent his way. So far, his messaging is exactly that, so he's asking for criticism.
Depends if he wants to do it or is told he has to do it.

Losing is the only reason your coaching career heads south. Winning is the only thing that matters. Name a winning coach who was sacked?
Tony Jewell coached Richmond 3 years and won na flag and got sacked in similar circumstances to Malthouse in favour of a favourite son.
Blight at ST Kilda wasnt due to performance (even though it wasnt great)
Hafey took collingwood from wooden spoon to grand finals and got sacked half way through 1st bad season
Politics and ego's in board rooms can have significant impacts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back