Preview West Coast vs Essendon, Perth Stadium, Thursday 21/06/18 @ 8:10 PM AEDT

Who will score more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Ridley playing in the VFL this week?

Would have been a great week to play one of he or Francis against an inexperienced forward line.

Given he missed against Brisbane due to injury and the VFL had the bye last week too there was zero chance of Ridley playing. Same reasoning can be applied to Francis too, no game last week so don't want to push his return after a week off and travelling west.

Given he missed against Brisbane due to injury and the VFL had the bye last week too there was zero chance of Ridley playing. Same reasoning can be applied to Francis too, no game last week so don't want to push his return after a week off and travelling west.

With Ridley I can half understand, though I think two weeks off is fine to come straight back in, especially since Dea was poor.

Francis has had the same amount of time off as everyone else though. If they keep coming up with reasons not to play him, we’re going to run out of games.

4 shots on goal & 2 goal assists, one being a class gather & sidestep dish to Heppell from 50 wasn’t the worst output.

He’s not in the side to crash packs, but to create space & provide a link up option. Yes it wasn’t a N Riewoldt masterclass but it sure as hell was better than the insipid s**t show Stewart put on against Richmond. He’d been tredding water for a few weeks too, so it wasn’t a shock to me he was dropped.

Browns not in our desired best 22 & I hope stewart can get back in, but for now I’m happy to get another look at him.
I agree with most of this... but we were severely missing someone that was able to crash packs or at least not be out-marked. Against Brisbane, we allowed Andrews (who looks uncannily like James Hird) to do as he pleased. Brown was OK, nothing more. Structurally, we lost a lot by only have one KPF in the team. To me, I would see Brown as more of a Laverde replacement, rather than a Stewart.

It seems risky to even field a side tomorrow with everyone having a week off.

With Ridley I can half understand, though I think two weeks off is fine to come straight back in, especially since Dea was poor.

Francis has had the same amount of time off as everyone else though. If they keep coming up with reasons not to play him, we’re going to run out of games.

Riddles isn't some seasoned player who automatically comes back in, he only just earned his spot, he goes through the same process again. He isn't even confirmed to be playing VFL yet.

Franga might have had the same time off as everyone else, but he is coming from miles back and hasn't played a game in over 12 months since his last shocker in Perth, he was never coming in on the back of the break.

It boggles the mind that Baguley is still getting a game. He's played two good games this season out of ten attempts. He is so poor defensively that we decided to create a new 'defensive forward' role for him because at least when he gives that opponent a free kick it doesn't result in an immediate goal.

If he's best 22 midday into 2018 then the entire club - from the coaches to the list manager to the playing group itself - needs to have a good look at itself. Is there really not a single player on the list who is more deserving of a chance than a 31-year old who at his absolute peak is merely 'pretty okay'?

It boggles the mind that Baguley is still getting a game. He's played two good games this season out of ten attempts. He is so poor defensively that we decided to create a new 'defensive forward' role for him because at least when he gives that opponent a free kick it doesn't result in an immediate goal.
I'm all for playing youth, but that's simply not true. He's been decent all year. I really don't get the Baguley hate.

Riddles isn't some seasoned player who automatically comes back in, he only just earned his spot, he goes through the same process again. He isn't even confirmed to be playing VFL yet.

Franga might have had the same time off as everyone else, but he is coming from miles back and hasn't played a game in over 12 months since his last shocker in Perth, he was never coming in on the back of the break.

True, but I think as long as he’s healthy he’s a better option back there than Dea.

With Francis, there’s going to be a reason not to play him every single week.

I guess time will tell if the right calls were made.

True, but I think as long as he’s healthy he’s a better option back there than Dea.

With Francis, there’s going to be a reason not to play him every single week.

I guess time will tell if the right calls were made.
I think fringe defenders have more reason to miss than any other player due to the fact that their position could be entirely based on match ups.

Besides our poor record in Perth & we are shite in the wet.

We would have to be a sneaky chance if our pressure is good. No Kennedy & Darling. They will prob win the inside 50’s but if we can win our match-ups down back and rebound well.

Laughable.

Brown - weak, single effort, non influence.
Green - e grade footballer

Bags, dea, Myers have played no more than 6 ok games for the year between them

Kids in 2s in form.

We just beat Brisbane last game and were atrocious as were they.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think fringe defenders have more reason to miss than any other player due to the fact that their position could be entirely based on match ups.

Yeah probably.

It just seems like every time a selection is between an older/average player compared to a younger player who could help the time improve, we always go the former.

If he's best 22 midday into 2018 then the entire club - from the coaches to the list manager to the playing group itself - needs to have a good look at itself. Is there really not a single player on the list who is more deserving of a chance than a 31-year old who at his absolute peak is merely 'pretty okay'?

Not sure if he should go on next year but for 2018 he is the first player pencilled in each week. Consistently puts his body on the line and has a red hot go. He sets the standard and expectation for others in this regard. Go Baggers!

Baguley has been playing good football. He is best 22.

I know standards and expectations at Essendon are low. That's the natural outcome when a fanbase has been starved of success. But standards and expectations should never be so low to believe that Baguley is playing good football. And if he is really best-22 then god help us.

If that was directed at me.... my criticism of him is that he doesn't get to enough contests as a forward and when he does doesn't have the physical presence to bring the ball to the ground. His goals against Brisbane were a crumbing snap and one where he got free out the back (that he made difficult for himself).

What is the counter argument for him being best 22?

I’ll back you up mate.

He’s s**t.

I know standards and expectations at Essendon are low. That's the natural outcome when a fanbase has been starved of success. But standards and expectations should never be so low to believe that Baguley is playing good football. And if he is really best-22 then god help us.
Go and watch the Essendon versus Geelong replay again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back