Should Carlton receive a priority pick?

• Yes

Votes: 70 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 296 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not speculating. I am just speaking hypothetically. No one knows which way it goes. I believe that they are 50% luck.

To me it seems like luck, trying to predict how a 17yo kid will be playing in 5+ years. But no doubt there's an art to the best recruiters' work.

Pretty obvious they are going to struggle in the short term, but think it will be five years before anyone can say it's failed. No choice now but to forge ahead, push up from the bottom with more quality from the draft, resist the urge to short-cut. The question for now is, do they have the best coach to oversee it? Are the kids developing to their potential?

The 66-game rebuild touted in 2015 was a bit of a furphy. They're going to need more time.

It's certainly not good for footy to see a power club fall away like this. If this rebuild is a false dawn then they are well and truly on the way to doing a Richmond with 3 and a half decades of complete junk.
They have pretty much been junk for the last 17 years so halfway through that period already.

If we sacked these two this year and started another rebuild. Including the time it takes to comepletely turnover the list, how long do you think it would take to rebuild?
Sometimes you need to bite the bullet.

See: Melbourne 2013

To me it seems like luck, trying to predict how a 17yo kid will be playing in 5+ years. But no doubt there's an art to the best recruiters' work.

Pretty obvious they are going to struggle in the short term, but think it will be five years before anyone can say it's failed. No choice now but to forge ahead, push up from the bottom with more quality from the draft, resist the urge to short-cut. The question for now is, do they have the best coach to oversee it? Are the kids developing to their potential?

The 66-game rebuild touted in 2015 was a bit of a furphy. They're going to need more time.

How long will these quality kids last though if it takes another or 3 years?

Are they going to lose as much talent as they draft?

Cripps will be stuffed in 2 to 3 years with the heavy lifting required of him at such an early age.

They need to trade in some real quality 3-26 year olds to help spread the load and to get competitive quicker. Using later picks on surplus GWS players isnt the answer, need to cough up pick 1 and land something that can help next season and for another 5>6 years.

Steele had a career game by following cripps around. Says all you need to know about cripps' ability to find the footy.

On a side note, geez people won't let us carlton fans even enjoy some praise of cripps? you lot a ruthless! for the other 165 hours of the week we're reminded that we're the cleveland browns of australia. A few hours of cripps gushing a week is all we ask...

Steele had 18 uncontested which means he was doing the opposite of following Cripps around when the Saints had the ball

How long will these quality kids last though if it takes another or 3 years?

Are they going to lose as much talent as they draft?

Cripps will be stuffed in 2 to 3 years with the heavy lifting required of him at such an early age.

They need to trade in some real quality 3-26 year olds to help spread the load and to get competitive quicker. Using later picks on surplus GWS players isnt the answer, need to cough up pick 1 and land something that can help next season and for another 5>6 years.

Yeah they need to do better with senior recruits, but shouldn’t be tempted to have an each-way bet. Top picks on the draft, free agency and late picks (maybe) for senior players. I think they have to move past delisted players as senior options.

Gold Coast won 10 games in 2014 with very little in the 23-26 range. I think the lack of senior players is overstated as a reason for Carlton’s performance, and less important than improving cohesion and getting the team to play with a purpose beyond getting through the next game.

I think the problem lies in the word 'rebuild'- perhaps they should have stated they would demolish what was left of the club and then begin a whole new build.

Somewhere along the lines, the message got confused- and Carlton has simply rebuilt the same soft, front running, me first footballers- even down to the atrocious haircuts!
I think the haircuts of the playing group are seriously underrated as a factor.

If we sacked these two this year and started another rebuild. Including the time it takes to comepletely turnover the list, how long do you think it would take to rebuild?
Well if you don't,Then you'll continue down the same path.
A complete rebuild instead of a half ass one for starters.

Well nothing has changed in fact things are only getting worse at my club, some posters are in such denial I've even been permanently banned from the Carlton boards for being critical of the coach/players/recruiters performances.
I guess I've said a few things which make people have to go home and look in the mirror and think about them.

I think pretty much everyone can acknowledge that Cripps is a great player but the commentators fawning over him constantly seemed like a desperate attempt to make this game, and Carlton specifically, relevant and significant. Cripps was one of the best on the field, along with three or four from St Kilda but if we are judging who had the most influence on the outcome of the game, it clearly wasn’t Cripps. At times he was as much a witches hat as the rest of his team because Saints were just that far ahead. At best, he halved his contest with Steele. He maybe deserves one Brownlow vote for being the standout performer in a soundly beaten team. Any more than that is fan fiction.

Channel seven seem to be on a mission to talk up Cripps and Curnow constantly at the moment, at an embarrassing level of over the top love fest. I get why, but it is cringey to listen to.
Couldn’t agree more, the media noise is sickening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re in for a world of pain at least you can see a future with most other teams Carlton is made up of GWS and other teams rejects they’re a complete mess remind me so much of Melbourne 6 or so years ago

Carlton look to be going backwards while Brisbane look to have better youngsters, game plan and belief under Fagan.

Bolton appointed for the 2016 season, Fagan a year later and while both teams are still sitting at the bottom of the ladder, it’s Brisbane that look to have the brighter future.

Would things be looking better at Carlton after 2.5 years if they had chosen Fagan over Bolton?

Last edited:
Nor did Cripps nullify Steele. Its a dead heat.
A very good point.

Yes it's great that Cripps played a terrific game, but he let the one he was playing on get it 33 times himself, use it at 97% efficiency, kick a goal from a stoppage, have 11 score-involvements and 144 ranking points etc, and I would have thought part of your job is to not just get a bunch of the ball yourself, but to make sure the one you're playing on isn't in the best two or three for the other team.

With all this taken into account, I would have thought Steven was BOG (as voted in the paper, etc), as he was dominant (33 disposals (@79% DE), 2 long goals, 13 score-involvements, 8 marks, 490m-gained, etc), but I don't think whoever he was playing on had anywhere near that much influence on the game, unlike in the case of Cripps.

Back