Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was just wondering what the thoughts were of people regarding these 2 sides if they both played against each other in their respective forms.

Fitzroy were obviously a basket case in their final year, but they did have some very good players, some of whom would go on and be premiership players and have successful careers.

Players like Chris Johnson, Martin Pyke, Matthew Primus. Stephen Paxman went on to play over 130 games with Port and win a best and fairest. Jarrod Molloy was another who was a very handy player.
They also had some older, experienced types like Jeff Hogg, John McCarthy, Mark Dwyer etc.
In my opinion if both sides played against each other in their current day format, Fitzroy would win.

Current day Carlton would smash them as current day Carlton is fitter and uses modern day tactics. Sure Carlton use those tactics badly but Fitzroy would still have no idea on how to counter them.
I’m talking about their current day format in regards to their age at the time, progress of career etc. Obviously the style of game is completely different

Was just wondering what the thoughts were of people regarding these 2 sides if they both played against each other in their respective forms.

Fitzroy were obviously a basket case in their final year, but they did have some very good players, some of whom would go on and be premiership players and have successful careers.

Players like Chris Johnson, Martin Pyke, Matthew Primus. Stephen Paxman went on to play over 130 games with Port and win a best and fairest. Jarrod Molloy was another who was a very handy player.
They also had some older, experienced types like Jeff Hogg, John McCarthy, Mark Dwyer etc.
In my opinion if both sides played against each other in their current day format, Fitzroy would win.

Are you able to add a screen shot of both teams to help us decide?

Some handy players in that squad.
Absolutely!
People only remember the results of that season, they were left to die and raped by the AFL.
Also there was no flooding back in 1996 so blowouts were more common.
I dare say a Ross Lyon or Al Clarkson would get a few wins with that list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely!
People only remember the results of that season, they were left to die and raped by the AFL.
Also there was no flooding back in 1996 so blowouts were more common.
I dare say a Ross Lyon or Al Clarkson would get a few wins with that list

Think of some of those players and the football they went on to play at other clubs. If Fitzroy was propped up like clubs are nowadays, blokes like Armstrong, Roos, Lynch, Broderick, Gale etc may never have left that club.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I don’t think they’d be able to keep up with the pace of the game as it is now.

I don’t believe player match fitness details were recorded however the aerobic fitness required to play today is higher IMO

Well if we had our best team available I think we would win. At the start of this season we looked ok before we got our obligatory 2 injuries per game.

The same comparison was done with Richmond in early 2010.
This is the last Roys team followed by the last Tigers team;

B: Matthew Dent, Steve Paxman, Danny Morton
HB: John Rombotis, Rowan Warfe, Simon Atkins
C: Brad Boyd, Chris Johnson, Martin Pike
HF: Nick Carter, John Barker, Brett Chandler
F: Jarrod Molloy, John McCarthy, Simon Hawking
Foll: Matthew Primus, Shane Clayton, Scott Bamford

B: Matthew Dea, Alex Rance, Shane Edwards
HB: Mitch Farmer, Kel Moore, Matt White
C: Dustin Martin, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin
HF: Troy Taylor, Jack Riewoldt, Richard Tambling
F: Mitch Morton, Jayden Post, Ben Nason
Foll: Troy Simmonds, Daniel Jackson, Shane Tuck

Position for position the Roys have them well covered.

Dent > Dea
Paxman > Rance
Morton > Edwards
Rombotis > Farmer
Warfe > Moore
Boyd > Martin
Johnson > Deledio
Pike > Cotchin
Carter > Taylor
Barker > Riewoldt
Chandler > Tambling
Molloy > Morton
McCarthy > Post
Hawking > Nason
Primus > Simmonds
Clayton > Jackson
Bamford > Tuck
A number of notable fails in the above assessment. Grimes and Astbury were also on the list. Perhaps seven current Carlton players will make it to their next flag.

Is there anyone who’s been involved in more average teams than John Barker? Fitzroy, a middling Hawthorn lineup and now Assistant coach of the worst team in the competition. (Also caretaker coach of our wooden-spoon team in 2015)

Played five finals for Hawthorn in 2000-2001 including a preliminary final in 2001 (the same year he was Hawthorn's leading goalkicker).

Injury saw Barker play only 46 games between 2002-2006 out of his 168 total games (beginning in 1994)

Back