• Shane Edwards

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Liam Baker

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 93 38.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems a bit of discussion re rucking, so here are some different options for when Nank is resting.

1. Replace a current player with a 2nd ruck to rest forward or on the bench.
2. Replace a current player with a 2nd KPF to help in the ruck.
3. Keep playing Grigg in the ruck as is with the same tactics in the ctr and around the ground.
4. Keep playing Grigg in the ruck, but with him having a starting position similar to a 3rd man up so he can jump at non ctr bounces.
5. Rove to oppo ruck and tag their mids at stoppages like Hawks did to Freo in Tassy a while ago.
6. A current defender or forward to help in the ruck depending on where a stoppage is.

Nank doesn't always ruck a forward stoppage.
We currently use 3 & 6.
I think we could include 4 & 5, way before before trying 1 & 2.

Mobility & pressure is our strength, not wining ruck contests.

Last edited:

Strange people dont get it. I'd say it would be odds on to change next year, but we're to close to finals to be stuffing around with structures at the moment.

The extra runner is telling at the end of games. They are being inventive when Grigg is in there to try and nullify him as the xtra on baller. I think we’ll be smart enough to close it down especially the take out of the ruck it’s an easy fix

My biggest gripe is that when nank is off and someone else is rucking, we don't adjust our starting positions around the stoppages to go a bit more defensive.

We stay ultra attacking but are giving the opposition ruckman free reign to put the ball wherever he wants hence why we get smashed in clearances.

When nank is off we have to go defensive around stoppages for it to be effective.

Almost every ball up around the ground without nank 2 pies players were left free to run across the front of the contest in 20m of space completely unopposed.

That's not acceptable in my books.

Analysis of Tigers MCG record
Tony Greenberg, richmondfc.com.au
http://m.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-29/analysis-of-tigers-mcg-record

Richmond shattered the record all-time winning streak at the MCG with its 28-point victory over Collingwood in yesterday’s blockbuster clash.

It was the Tigers’ 18th consecutive win at the home of AFL football, eclipsing the 17 in-a-row that Melbourne compiled in 1955-56.

Below is a comprehensive summary of Richmond’s golden MCG run . . .

Match scores

Round 14, 2017 v Carlton – 11.18 (84) to 8.10 (58)

Round 18, 2017 v GWS – 9.10 (64) to 6.9 (45)

Round 20, 2017 v Hawthorn – 13.15 (93) to 9.10 (64)

Round 23, 2017 v St Kilda – 19.8 (122) to 12.9 (81)

Qualifying final, 2017 v Geelong – 13.13 (91) to 5.10 (40)

Preliminary final, 2017 v GWS – 15.13 (103) to 9.13 (67)

Grand Final, 2017 v Adelaide – 16.12 (108) to 8.12 (60)

Round 1, 2018 v Carlton – 17.19 (121) to 15.5 (95)

Round 3, 2018 v Hawthorn – 15.12 (102) to 13.11 (89)

Round 4, 2018 v Brisbane – 16.14 (110) to 2.5 (17)

Round 5, 2018 v Melbourne – 15.12 (102) to 8.8 (56)

Round 6, 2018 v Collingwood – 16.17 (113) to 10.10 (70)

Round 7, 2018 v Fremantle – 15.20 (110) to 4.9 (33)

Round 10, 2018 v St Kilda – 15.15 (105) to 12.5 (77)

Round 11, 2018 v Essendon – 17.12 (114) to 6.7 (43)

Round 13, 2018 v Geelong – 12.11 (83) to 9.11 (65)

Round 16, 2018 v Adelaide – 15.13 (103) to 8.8 (56)

Round 19, 2018 v Collingwood – 16.9 (105) to 12.5 (77)

Highest score: 19.8 (122) v St Kilda, Round 23, 2017

Lowest opposition score: 2.5 by Brisbane, Round 4, 2018

Biggest win: 93 points v Brisbane, Round 4, 2018

Average winning margin: 41 points

Scores of 100-plus points for: 13

Scores of 100-plus points against: Nil

Total score for: 265.253 (1590)

Total score against: 156.157 (1093)

Last quarters won: 15

Last quarters lost: 3

Total last quarters score for: 91.57 (603)

Total last quarters score against: 43.36 (294)

Total number of players to appear in every win: Five – Shane Edwards, Kane Lambert, Dustin Martin, Toby Nankervis and Alex Rance

DjJf65PUwAABFN6.jpg:large

Just a couple of quick ones.

Pies kicked super accurately. Although we kicked fairly straight, if they'd had a normal day at goal kicking we'd have won by about 3 goals more.'

Collingwood took our midfield apart. We learn from things like that. I'd say that what just happened is fantastic going into finals. That is how we can lose the game. We've seen how a really good midfield can beat us. Now we will learn how to stop that happening.

One game and much % clear in No. 1. Top 2 is almost loaded. All lining up for a good run to B2B (say it quietly so as to not piss the footy gods off)

I didn't mind Gaz. I didn't really notice his bias but Huddo - FMD what a tool. Shame he's not doing the Cats game, he'll be crying like the 14 year old girl he looks like.
Sunday footy show this morning when they were giving the votes (pie suporter) Tony Jones said an extra vote should be given to Huddo for his outstanding call of the game. Thought i was gunna spew up.

Sunday footy show this morning when they were giving the votes (pie suporter) Tony Jones said an extra vote should be given to Huddo for his outstanding call of the game. Thought i was gunna spew up.
Huddo doesn't know the rules of the game. Called Snag's GOTY a throw.

I wonder what Dimma said when the camera panned to him after the game, didnt look that impressed. Think he has a few things on his mind in relation to our ruck situation, might be time for Soldo the great to make an appearance. Nanks spent quite some time on the bench and with finals fast approaching we cant afford for him to be burnt out, interesting times for the selection panel.

Issue was that when Nank was on the bench, we were getting smashed
Grigg can’t do the pseudo second ruck gig anymore...so we need an alternative

Balta been doing ruck duties in the 2
So too CCJ....

Both play alternate roles...as well as pinch hit in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come finals time just ensure we play an interstate team and ensure Collingwood plays interstate.
We are not giving them a MCG final, where they play well.
They now have PA, GWS, breathing down their neck which is great.
We could rest Nank for the Suns match, and maybe even Ess or WB, depending on results.
To have Nank well rested and cherry ripe for finals would be a plus.

Tony Jones ..., he's a very unusual Pies supporter - he has teeth.... Of course a bit like him they aren't real

Treloar
De Goey
Dunn - Houli
Elliot
Fasolo - Butler
Reid - Griffiths
Aish - Conca
Appleby - Chol
Goldsack - Graham

Markov, Menadue, Drummond, Hampson and Smith injured too.

Not as severe as the pies in terms of top end as De Goey, Treloar and Elliot at their best are above ours but below that... meh
Who the hell is Smith?

Lol at Griffiths and Hampson mentions

Seems a bit of discussion re rucking, so here are some different options for when Nank is resting.

1. Replace a current player with a 2nd ruck to rest forward or on the bench.
2. Replace a current player with a 2nd KPF to help in the ruck.
3. Keep playing Grigg in the ruck as is with the same tactics in the ctr and around the ground.
4. Keep playing Grigg in the ruck, but with him having a starting position similar to a 3rd man up so he can jump at non ctr bounces.
5. Rove to oppo ruck and tag their mids like Hawks did to Freo in Tassy a while ago.
6. A current defender or forward to help in the ruck depending on where a stoppage is.

Nank doesn't always ruck a forward stoppage.
We currently use 3 & 6.
I think we could include 4 & 5, way before before trying 1 & 2.

Mobility & pressure is our strength, not wining ruck contests.

I agree we need to have a plan for certain teams in September but not sure I like the idea of 6 - our defence shouldn't be messed with at all. If it ain't broke. Don't want to tag either - other than a red hot player.
Other options need to be considered for sure.

Think the the question is when nank goes off for a rest , what options do we have
A- use grigg as 2nd ruck, and go defensive on our clearance set ups to prevent
Other team winning easy clearance ( graham and conca important here)
B- use genuine 2nd ruck who may help us win some clearances while nank is resting

Option A is the better option gives us one more mid rotation
And also we have the number 1 defense in the league,
Which means we can absorb the opposition if they do gain an advantage at clearances

Just a couple of quick ones.

Pies kicked super accurately. Although we kicked fairly straight, if they'd had a normal day at goal kicking we'd have won by about 3 goals more.'

Collingwood took our midfield apart. We learn from things like that. I'd say that what just happened is fantastic going into finals. That is how we can lose the game. We've seen how a really good midfield can beat us. Now we will learn how to stop that happening.

One game and much % clear in No. 1. Top 2 is almost loaded. All lining up for a good run to B2B (say it quietly so as to not piss the footy gods off)

We are missing a Graham/Conca in the middle to tighten it up... but I think we backed our pressure after the first touch at times re pendles and co... getting the ball in the middle with ease, then going nowhere due to our pressure. Obviously best case scenario is we win it first time... but I’m pretty confident knowing that we can control the influence of a good midfield even when they are “dominating”.

Back