Preview Changes: R22 vs North Melbourne

I agree with your strategy, but not your maths MF.

If we win we can finish above Essendon and North. We'll be equal on points with one match to play.
We're not finishing ahead of North. They play St Kilda next week. North couldn't lose to them, even if they were Norfing for everything they're worth.

Not sure why we would bring in Otten, perfect chance to experiment with Gov down back, blood Himmelberg and give him a taste. Crows gonna Crow I suppose
Because we have literally no other tall defenders. Talia, Hartigan & Keath are all injured. The alternative is playing Himmelberg, in his very first game, as the only tall defender in the entire team. That's not an acceptable, even in a game we should be tanking.

Because we have literally no other tall defenders. Talia, Hartigan & Keath are all injured. The alternative is playing Himmelberg, in his very first game, as the only tall defender in the entire team. That's not an acceptable, even in a game we should be tanking.
Could always shuffle McGovern back.

I think you missed the point of the post. The post said McGovern back and Himmelberg forward.

Its what I would have done

Could always shuffle McGovern back.
Great.. so the options are:
A) A relatively experienced and proven defender.
B) An unfit 2nd year player, who has spent his entire AFL career in the forward line.
C) A 1st game player, who has spent most of his SANFL career playing as a forward/ruck.

Remember, we have literally no other tall defendes in the team. There's no Talia, no Hartigan, no Keath. It's one thing to bring Himmelberg or McGovern in as 3rd banana, it's another thing entirely to ask them to play as the only tall defender when neither of them has ever played that role at AFL level before.

I think you missed the point of the post. The post said McGovern back and Himmelberg forward.

Its what I would have done
It's no better than bringing Himmelberg in as a defender. McGovern isn't even remotely close to being match fit, and he's never played a full game as an AFL defender. And you want to play him as our only tall defender? That's beyond monumentally stupid, it's almost criminally insane.

Great.. so the options are:
A) A relatively experienced and proven defender.
B) An unfit 2nd year player, who has spent his entire AFL career in the forward line.
C) A 1st game player, who has spent most of his SANFL career playing as a forward/ruck.

Remember, we have literally no other tall defendes in the team. There's no Talia, no Hartigan, no Keath. It's one thing to bring Himmelberg or McGovern in as 3rd banana, it's another thing entirely to ask them to play as the only tall defender when neither of them has ever played that role at AFL level before.
I agree with most of what you've said, however I still think an unfit McGovern is a better matchup than 2018 Otten. Brown will kick a bag tommorow.

Who did the review? Burton?
Not sure but I imagine they started with the findings - downturn caused by factors outside of our control - and worked backwards from there

I agree with most of what you've said, however I still think an unfit McGovern is a better matchup than 2018 Otten. Brown will kick a bag tommorow.
That's going to happen no matter who goes to him. Otten is the least worst option. Playing Himmelberg in that position is likely to do more harm than good, it's a criminally stupid idea.

That's going to happen no matter who goes to him. Otten is the least worst option. Playing Himmelberg in that position is likely to do more harm than good, it's a criminally stupid idea.
I have no interest in Himmelberg going down back, we need to see him playing forward and a bit of ruck.

It's no better than bringing Himmelberg in as a defender. McGovern isn't even remotely close to being match fit, and he's never played a full game as an AFL defender. And you want to play him as our only tall defender? That's beyond monumentally stupid, it's almost criminally insane.
And Otten is better? If McGovern isnt remotely close to being match fit then why play him at all? It doesnt matter one iota if McGovern is fit or not fit , there is only 2 matches to go. I mean what is he getting 'fit' for, there are no games after next week.

Does it really matter, are we playing for anything? I dont think we are.

You have said this twice and I shall repeat myself twice. Himmelberg isnt going back. McGovern is in my team.

In breaking news...Jordan Gallucci is a late out for the crows to be replaced by Brad Symes who was added to the rookie list during the week.

"We think Brad can offer some experience around the ball which we will need against the Kangaroos. He hasn't played much lately but we know what he brings to the table. This is a really important game for us to build some momentum for next year.

Jordan's got some inexperience awareness so we thought it was best to rest him just in case experience increases during the game"
Symesey, what a gun.

And Otten is better? If McGovern isnt remotely close to being match fit then why play him at all? It doesnt matter one iota if McGovern is fit or not fit , there is only 2 matches to go. I mean what is he getting 'fit' for, there are no games after next week.

Does it really matter, are we playing for anything? I dont think we are.
Otten is the least worst option. He's not a good option, he's just the least worst option available.

Why is McGovern playing? Because we're basically out of other alternatives. Talia, Hartigan, Keath, Walker... all watching from the sidelines. Fogarty is cooked. Who else is there? I would have preferred to see Himmelberg selected this week, as Tex's replacement, but Gov got the nod instead. OK, I can live with that. Given that Keath has gone down, we needed to bring a defender in as the replacement - and neither McGovern, nor Himmelberg, are a defender.

How's that? Otto is easily the next best option for a KPD role.
He’s the only one left in the cupboard, for sure, but he’s no match for a guy who can win the Coleman medal. Honestly I would have picked Himmelberg and moved Gov back. He often floats back anyway, and he’s a good grab.

Otten is a better option than Himmelberg if we were in the finals hunt.

Given we should be preparing for next year, we are short-sighted not playing EH.

No issue playing Otten, but should be in ruck to rest up Jacobs who is more than cooked.

Back