Who wins the Coleman Medal - Ben, Jack or Buddy?

The 2018 Coleman Medallist is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack kicked two and looked frustrated.
Ben kicked none and may be dusted.
Buddy kicked five to close the gap.
Tom kicked six to have a sniff.

After round 22
Jack 60
Ben 58
Buddy 57
Tom 56

Jack (v WB) and Tom (v GCS) will basically be going head to head at the same time on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers have top spot locked up so may look for Jack a little more. If Geelong, at home, perform again like they did against Fremantle Tom could kick double figures. Buddy has a tough assignment against the Hawks on Saturday night. With a top four spot on the line the Swans would love him to have a day out, but they won’t be looking for him unless he is the right option. Ben is stumbling to the line but has an opportunity to finish the season well against the Saints in the final game of the H&A season.

I could see Richmond going to Riewoldt constantly like Sydney did last year to Franklin when they played Carlton. Maybe Geelong as well - provided they are winning, they may pass to him even if better options are available.

I could see Richmond going to Riewoldt constantly like Sydney did last year to Franklin when they played Carlton. Maybe Geelong as well - provided they are winning, they may pass to him even if better options are available.

It'd be good if the Dogs left Riewoldt one-out inside 50 like Carlton did last year with Franklin.

The Bulldogs tend to take the game on and I doubt very much they'd focus on preventing a Coleman. There should be plenty of opportunities in the natural course of the game.

Could, yes, but they'll also be wanting to get form and structures right for finals, which I imagine will take priority.

I think Brown is in the box seat here...North have nothing else to play for, so their entire game plan will be 'kick it to Ben'. They're also the last to play, so will know what he needs.

Brown is legitimately soft. Should have tried to fight through contact but instead allows the defender to rag doll him hoping to get a free. Often it is not enough contact anyway.
How many times did he dive today?

I noticed he only got 2 free kicks so maybe the umps weren't having a bar of it.

Brown is legitimately soft. Should have tried to fight through contact but instead allows the defender to rag doll him hoping to get a free. Often it is not enough contact anyway.

Brown 48 frees for (21 games)
<daylight>
Franklin 27 (18)
Reiwoldt 25 (21)
Hawkins 20 (19)

His tactic seems to work.

How many times did he dive today?

I noticed he only got 2 free kicks so maybe the umps weren't having a bar of it.

Didn’t see, but watch this:

If he tried to fight through that he’d probably have gotten a free. Instead just accepted it and tried to milk a free

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-19_20-54-7.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-19_20-54-7.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 77
Didn’t see, but watch this:

If he tried to fight through that he’d probably have gotten a free. Instead just accepted it and tried to milk a free
Good thing he was being held back, that last jump might have seen him over the fence otherwise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reiwoldt - 60
Brown - 58
Franklin - 57
Hawkins - 56

You would think Reiwoldt is going to kick a minimum of 3 goals next week so that means Brown will need to kick 5 to match him, Buddy will need to kick 6 and Hawkins would have to kick 7.

Fun fact; Ben brown has received 48 frees but taken only 95 marks. Id have to say that many of his 48 frees have obviously attributed to his goal tally.
Is it just luck that he's received many more frees than the other key forwards from the umps or justified?

Jack Riewoldt 25 frees received and taken 130 marks
Buddy 27 frees received and taken 125 marks
Hawkins 20 frees received and taken 136 marks

Leading goal kicker (1920-), lowest goal average per game, 1 round to go:

2.86 - Jack Riewoldt (2018, so far)
2.96 - Jack Riewoldt (2012)
3.00 - Horrie Clover (1922), Tom Carroll (1961)
3.05 - Leigh Matthews (1975), Lance Franklin (2014)
3.09 - Jarryd Roughead (2013)
3.11 - Bill Young (1956), John Peck (1965)
3.14 - Lance Franklin (2017)

Jack Riewoldt on target for 62.9 goals; lowest tallies for a Coleman Medal winner:
62 (1962) - Doug Wade
65 (2012) - Jack Riewoldt

Leading goal kicker (1920-), lowest goal average per game, 1 round to go:

2.86 - Jack Riewoldt (2018, so far)
2.96 - Jack Riewoldt (2012)
3.00 - Horrie Clover (1922), Tom Carroll (1961)
3.05 - Leigh Matthews (1975), Lance Franklin (2014)
3.09 - Jarryd Roughead (2013)
3.11 - Bill Young (1956), John Peck (1965)
3.14 - Lance Franklin (2017)

Jack Riewoldt on target for 62.9 goals; lowest tallies for a Coleman Medal winner:
62 (1962) - Doug Wade
65 (2012) - Jack Riewoldt

Can only beat what you’re up against. At the end of the day the game has changed and I would suggest 60 is the old 80-90.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back