Prediction 2018 All Australian Predictions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were to pick the team I think I would only sneak dangerfield in. I have a position open in the back pocket Tom Stewart, Blicavs, Harris Andrew, Dylan Grimes shannon hurn. Are all the in the mix. I would probably pick Yeo except I wanted to pick a defender not a utility so I put yeo on the bench.

I think this is Stewart's best opportunity although the selectors generally make you have a couple of reliable good years before they slot you in. I'm thinking Dylan Grimes might get a Guernsey.

You could have both. I think Grimes is a certainty - to me he's the best medium sized defender in the game pretty easily. It's reminding me so much of how Enright was only noticed by the outside world after 2007. Doesn't mean you can't fit Stewart in on a half back flank or on the bench though.

When naming the squad of 40, the All Australian selectors were not asked to nominate the leading players in each section of the field (forwards, defenders and midfielders/ruckmen), but simply to name the best players of the season.

However, the final team of 22 is selected as if it was playing a match.

How often does the latter actually happen though? Always a tweaking of positions to get a favourite into the team

A lot of laughs for Dusty's selection on Twitter

Although I did take offence at the person who suggested that Martin is going to be the new Enright & get selected each year regardless of their performance :mad:

Enright deserved all the recognition he received

Although I did take offence at the person who suggested that Martin is going to be the new Enright & get selected each year regardless of their performance :mad:

Enright deserved all the recognition he received

If anything Boris deserved more recognition. He was so far and away the best HBF in the comp every year that the industry almost got desensitised to his consistent brilliance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

complete BS that the team is bookended by a couple of Richmond players - Rance & Dusty selected on reputation & not their actually years

Hawkins very very unlucky

Martin has been just as good as Dangerfield.

Hawkins should easily be in ahead of Franklin.
But Martin in the midfield ahead of Oliver is a joke though - why not Oliver in the midfield (where he deserves) and then if they really wanted Martin & Danger in the team one in the forward line & the other starting on the bench because if Oliver is pushed to the bench or not even selected it's very questionable.

The instructions the selectors receive is "However, the final team of 22 is selected as if it was playing a match." - lets see if that pans out because right now theres more than 4 players deserving of the remaining spots on the bench

complete BS that the team is bookended by a couple of Richmond players - Rance & Dusty selected on reputation & not their actually years

I actually think the whole team is conservative and reputation-based. Ironic really given the fact that the 40-man squad was mostly excellent, but the choices for the official team seem based off "name" more than anything else.

Case in point:

Martin - shouldn't be selected as a starting midfielder. Should be either on the bench or out of the team.
Dangerfield - shouldn't be a HFF. Deserved to be in the team IMO, but should have been named as a midfielder (has played there more than Martin) or on the bench.
McGovern - even West Coast fans admit he hasn't had an AA standard year
Gray - Caddy was better imo. Marginal call though.
Rance - I'm not all that unhappy with this decision as he did have a good year, but the difference between Rance, Blicavs and Jonas was non-existent so methinks Rance's reputation got him over the edge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back