Prediction 2018 All Australian Predictions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Two separate questions: which Cats do you think will make the team, and which Cats do you think deserve to make the team? Media consensus seems to be that Hawkins, Stewart, Blicavs and Dangerfield are nailed-on to make the squad of 40, but there's a lot of contention among the media as to which of them is worthy of a spot in the final 22. Outside of those four, the only other names I could see potentially making the squad would be perennial All Australian Joel Selwood and possibly Tim Kelly. But those strike me as unlikely to happen. Jimmy Bartel has argued that Ablett would be in the conversation were he not held to such ridiculously high standards, but again, I'd be shocked if that happens.

Among our four most likely candidates for AA, Hawkins is the one whose non-selection would annoy me the most. He's been the standout key forward of the comp this year. Has kicked similar numbers to Riewoldt, Brown and Franklin and his all-round game has been superior to all of them, especially Brown, who offers nowhere near as much as Hawk in general play. Deserves to win a spot in the 22 and become a multiple-AA player.

Two separate questions: which Cats do you think will make the team, and which Cats do you think deserve to make the team? Media consensus seems to be that Hawkins, Stewart, Blicavs and Dangerfield are nailed-on to make the squad of 40, but there's a lot of contention among the media as to which of them is worthy of a spot in the final 22. Outside of those four, the only other names I could see potentially making the squad would be perennial All Australian Joel Selwood and possibly Tim Kelly. But those strike me as unlikely to happen. Jimmy Bartel has argued that Ablett would be in the conversation were he not held to such ridiculously high standards, but again, I'd be shocked if that happens.

Among our four most likely candidates for AA, Hawkins is the one whose non-selection would annoy me the most. He's been the standout key forward of the comp this year. Has kicked similar numbers to Riewoldt, Brown and Franklin and his all-round game has been superior to all of them, especially Brown, who offers nowhere near as much as Hawk in general play. Deserves to win a spot in the 22 and become a multiple-AA player.
Hope you don't mind me intruding but I would think Riewoldt would be considered the best forward seeing as he's won the Coleman medal.

Riewoldt is the obvious certainty for full forward, and should be - he won the goalkicking. I’d have Hawkins ahead of everyone else pretty easily. Way more influential than Frankiin or Brown to me.

Otherwise, I think Stewart and Blicavs will make the squad, plus perhaps Selwood and Dangerfield. Dangerfield will probably make the team, but not convinced he should. He’s been good this year but nowhere near 2016-2017 form. Selwood perhaps as well, I think he’s been our best midfielder.

We will undoubtedly whinge about the eventual selections, but shouldn’t. We finished 8th, not first. Other sides have good players too.

If Hawk gets named then I think it would be at CHF... I would think there's an argument for naming Riewoldt in a pocket as he's a third tall as much as a traditional key forward, so you could even shuffle things around to accommodate a Brown or Franklin too - and the AA often goes with three tall forwards.

I guess the problem is that that would seem like a slight on Riewoldt as people would see FF as a higher honour than a pocket. People are silly.

We will undoubtedly whinge about the eventual selections, but shouldn’t. We finished 8th, not first. Other sides have good players too.

Ladder position has zero relevance as to how many of players each team should expect to have in the AA squad. It's an individual award. Team performance has nothing to do with it. Depending on the year the first place team may have 10 deserving AA representatives or they may have less representatives than any other team in the eight...and both situations would be completely legitimate if they accurately reflected who were the years best players.

I think Kelly will make the squad, lot of media hype, and there is a case for him as a flanker given his 23 goals. Stewart and Selwood also.

Hawkins and Dangerfield in the final side.

Hope you don't mind me intruding but I would think Riewoldt would be considered the best forward seeing as he's won the Coleman medal.
even ignoring the Coleman Riewoldt is FF for mine. But Hawkins should still get a spot.

Blitz the only other candidate for mine.

Riewoldt is the obvious certainty for full forward, and should be - he won the goalkicking. I’d have Hawkins ahead of everyone else pretty easily. Way more influential than Frankiin or Brown to me.

Otherwise, I think Stewart and Blicavs will make the squad, plus perhaps Selwood and Dangerfield. Dangerfield will probably make the team, but not convinced he should. He’s been good this year but nowhere near 2016-2017 form. Selwood perhaps as well, I think he’s been our best midfielder.

Agree that Hawkins is far more influential Buddy + Brown. I'd have Hawkins playing CHF, love him playing up + around the ground as in this season.

Stewart + Blitz have to be named. Also agree with you that I don't believe Dangerfield should make the team. Selwood deserves to make AA team.

Agree that Hawkins is far more influential Buddy + Brown. I'd have Hawkins playing CHF, love him playing up + around the ground as in this season.

Stewart + Blitz have to be named. Also agree with you that I don't believe Dangerfield should make the team. Selwood deserves to make AA team.

There have been a lot of very good midfielders this year. Guys like Mitchell and Cripps and possibly even Oliver are going to be strong contenders, plus Edwards and Lambert and perhaps Martin from Richmond (like Dangerfield, I think his season has been good but not great). They can't all get selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Full Squad:

Rory Laird

Harris Andrews
Dayne Beams

Patrick Cripps

Jordan De Goey
Brodie Grundy
Scott Pendlebury
Steele Sidebottom

Devon Smith

Lachie Neale

Mark Blicavs
Patrick Dangerfield
Tom Hawkins
Tom Stewart

Callan Ward
Lachie Whitfield

Luke Breust
Jack Gunston
Tom Mitchell

Max Gawn
Clayton Oliver

Ben Brown
Shaun Higgins

Robbie Gray
Tom Jonas

Josh Caddy
Trent Cotchin
Shane Edwards
Dylan Grimes
Kane Lambert
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Jack Riewoldt

Lance Franklin
Jake Lloyd

Andrew Gaff
Shannon Hurn
Jeremy McGovern
Elliot Yeo

Jack Macrae

FB: Grimes Rance Stewart
HB: Hurn Tarrant Laird
C: Martin Cripps Whitfield
HF: Dangerfield Hawkins Gunston
FF: Franklin Riewoldt Breust
Fol: Gawn Oliver Mitchell
I/C: Grundy Higgins Yeo Macrae

Pretty close to what I'd go with. I'd be tempted to go with Caddy ahead of Gunston though. I think only three of Riewoldt, Hawkins, Franklin and Gunston should make it otherwise the forward line is too tall. Admittedly it's been a pretty bad year for small forwards so the options are scarce.

Gaff very close too.

2012 - Jack Riewoldt won the Coleman Medal
2012 AA tall forwards - Hawkins & Franklin

Also in 2012, they wanted to fit in the twin ruck combination of Cox & Naitanui - so Cox was also slotted into the forward line ahead of Riewoldt

Just because you win the Coleman doesn't make you an automatic selection for the AA team

Pretty close to what I'd go with. I'd be tempted to go with Caddy ahead of Gunston though. I think only three of Riewoldt, Hawkins, Franklin and Gunston should make it otherwise the forward line is too tall. Admittedly it's been a pretty bad year for small forwards so the options are scarce.

Gaff very close too.

I don't think Franklin should be near the team. He's a key forward and Riewoldt and Hawkins have both been better and more consistent.

I posted this in the Stewart thread, but will post it here also for discussion -
I've seen 2 media "journo" AA teams this past week and shake my head reading through their justification.

This is Robbo's AA team:
99d1c151eb88a4959e443e69d6676f6b

The back half has Alex Rance and Jeremy McGovern as the key defenders, three attacking type defenders in Lachie Whitfield, Shannon Hurn and Rory Laird, leaving one spot for whatever type of player you favour.
I went with Port Adelaide’s Tom Jonas because he defends strongly and is powerful overhead.
He beat out Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton, Sydney’s Jake Lloyd (another running defender), Tom Stewart from Geelong, Richmond’s Dylan Grimes and Collingwood’s Jeremy Howe...
...If the All-Australian selectors can cut corners by picking the team, as they did, before Round 22 is played, then my allowance is Patrick Dangerfield on the other flank. He is a mid-forward who No.1 of any mid-forward for disposals, metres gained, contested possessions, inside-50s, clearances and score involvements.

No mentions of any other Geelong players, and reading through the public comments on the article the biggest criticism is the selection of Rance (I think only Richmond people agree with that) - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/17ef4411ef47509158723204b599d5e8

Jake Naiall's AA team looks like this:

f5a6fcc4123785accda304effe8e273cd0ec766c

Another champion, Alex Rance, has become the easiest selection in these teams, because he’s a fair way ahead of the next best full-back. Rory Laird, too, isn’t a tough call in the back pocket, given his unmatched ability to win the ball as a small defender.
Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton ranks as one of the game’s most undersold guns. How many defenders can subdue Eddie Betts AND a key forward? He’s just pipped Grimes and Geelong’s Tom Stewart for a medium defender slot.
Seems he is underselling Stewart there, but his "justifications" do get better

In attack, I’ve opted for the contemporary game’s two key forwards, one hybrid, three smalls structure, which leaves no spot for Tom Hawkins or Ben Brown. Lance Franklin has been sore, on occasion he’s been subdued, yet without him, the Swans wouldn’t have a prayer of playing finals. Buddy’s had more scoreboard impact than anyone in the AFL.
I know the article was originally published yesterday but that last one is a joke - in 2018 Hawins kicked more goals than Buddy (58 vs 57), he had more goal assists (24 vs 18) and he had more score involvements (172 vs 160). If you like Buddy better then just say that, but to come up with some bullshit reason makes it a joke
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...he-best-against-the-best-20180825-p4zzre.html

Tom Jonas doesn’t deserve to be in the team ahead of Stewart.

I would have Grimes ahead of him as well from Richmond who is massively underrated because they go on about Rance 24/7 when in reality Astbury and Grimes are just as good as Rance.

I actually think Blicavs is more likely to make it than Stewart. The latter’s injury and form over the past month or so have hurt his momentum. Blicavs will be a great “story” for the AFL, aside from being thoroughly deserving.

Tom Jonas doesn’t deserve to be in the team ahead of Stewart.

I would have Grimes ahead of him as well from Richmond who is massively underrated because they go on about Rance 24/7 when in reality Astbury and Grimes are just as good as Rance.

I'd have Grimes and Stewart both ahead of Jonas.

If Dangerfield is selected it's either on the ball or not at all. He shouldn't be put on a forward flank as he's only kicked 24 goals this year and a lot of other medium forwards (and midfielders for that matter) have kicked more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back