2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats your prediction?
Leaving l reckon. The ceo is just posturing and when Neale talked about his contract, he didn't deny it like the other players (Beams, Hill), just said "l am gonna let it play out" ... Where have we heard that before lol. Plus Swann, Noble sounded really confident when they said they were trying to get a rally good player. Just a predicition but l reckon that is the way it is going to go

How much does he mean to Freo? Let’s just see how desperate they are to keep him.

It’s probably still advantage Lions. Freo to return serve.

How much does he mean to Freo? Let’s just see how desperate they are to keep him.

It’s probably still advantage Lions. Freo to return serve.
If Neale is keen to go (which we don't know yet) then he will leave l reckon. You can't have someone in your club that doesn't want to be there and if they wait next year his price will drop quite a bit than if they traded this year.

Column from the West Australian on Freo - not sure how credible Duffield is so maybe take it with a grain of salt: https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...ag-moment-for-fremantle-dockers-ng-b88946575z

Brisbane’s audacious plan to poach Lachie Neale was hatched at a meeting with him in a Darwin cafe in July around Fremantle’s round 16 clash with Melbourne at TIO Stadium.

Fremantle are outwardly adamant that Neale will not be traded and, barring a “Godfather” trade offer from Brisbane, that may well stay the case.

Inwardly they should acknowledge that this is a red-flag moment for the club. Why was Neale even exploring a shift a year out from the end of his contract?

Unless he wanted to bump up his price without having to go through a year of constant speculation and the extra spotlight attached with it.

But then you definitely don't want this to become public and your manager simply approaches Freo and says Brisbane are coming hard, lets get a deal done. Instead all the stories seem to say that Freo was unaware of our approach until it became public this week and are now doing their best to hold onto him.

He might end up staying after all of this and a deal might get done, but I doubt its simply a play by the manager as you would want to keep that private and not risk Neale's reputation.

Last edited:
But then you definitely don't want this to become public and your manager simply approaches Freo and says Brisbane are coming hard, lets get a deal done. Instead all the stories seem to say that Freo was unaware of our approach until it became public this week and our now doing their best to hold onto him.

He might end up staying after all of this and a deal might get done, but I doubt its simply a play by the manager as you would want to keep that private and not risk Neale's reputation.

I disagree, I think you’re more-likely to get a bigger pay check if it goes public, and the club is under external pressure to save face.

Edit: All you have to do is cast your mind back to Dustin Martin last year. He was never leaving Richmond and played that perfectly.

I disagree, I think you’re more-likely to get a bigger pay check if it goes public, and the club is under external pressure to save face.

Edit: All you have to do is cast your mind back to Dustin Martin last year. He was never leaving Richmond and played that perfectly.

This is different. Dusty had been shopped around by them a couple of years before and was arguably the most sort after AFL player in AFL history. Im not sure Neales camp would want it to go public, would only cause agst for him with team mates and the club if he is just going to stay.

Its gone public as preperation for his eventual declaration he wants a trade, IMO.. thats where its heading, he might stay, but dont think theres much benefit in a false public media, trade speculation battle to push up his price, just an odd move especially with his FA available next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is different. Dusty had been shopped around by them a couple of years before and was arguably the most sort after AFL player in AFL history. Im not sure Neales camp would want it to go public, would only cause agst for him with team mates and the club if he is just going to stay.

Its gone public as preperation for his eventual declaration he wants a trade, IMO.. thats where its heading, he might stay, but dont think theres much benefit in a false public media, trade speculation battle to push up his price, just an odd move especially with his FA available next year.

I’m not disagreeing that it might have been made public to prepare for the eventual trade. Just preparing our supporters that there’s also the other side of the coin.

Additionally, I don’t subscribe to the notion that his teammates would have less respect for him or hold any angst if he re-signed, after exploring his options. It’s modern day football.

If anything I think they would be relieved and grateful that Neale chose them and showed an investment in their club.

Steve Rossich on radio, def not denying lachie’s interest I weighing up his future. Confident it’s at Freo and they will look to negotiate his contract now. Either way Lachie is in for a big pay day by the sounds of it.

Caro was just talking about it on 3aw and was pretty confident there is genuine interest from Neale.

Steve Rossich on radio, def not denying lachie’s interest I weighing up his future. Confident it’s at Freo and they will look to negotiate his contract now. Either way Lachie is in for a big pay day by the sounds of it.

Since he is contracted would that be a contract re-negotiation/extension for more $ ?

I’m not disagreeing that it might have been made public to prepare for the eventual trade. Just preparing our supporters that there’s also the other side of the coin.

Additionally, I don’t subscribe to the notion that his teammates would have less respect for him or hold any angst if he re-signed, after exploring his options. It’s modern day football.

If anything I think they would be relieved and grateful that Neale chose them and showed an investment in their club.

Yeah I think the other side of the coin is he was just thinking about the offer and it leaked. Would be odd to pick the Brisbane Lions, approach them months out, make it go public, fake a trade plot to strong arm your current club into a better deal, if that is the plan.. IMO, he needs a new manager.

It might be the eventual outcome but doubt its a planned ploy. He would get several $700k+ deals as a free agent next year that Freo would have to match and he can skip all the angst.

It would be incredibly stressful having 40 of your mates think you are about to leave with a year to serve on your contract, most players describe the process of leaving a club harrowing, would be massive overkill for a contract extension Freo would probley agree to if he just approached them anyway.

I think that if the club or players thought it was a plot, they would be angst, if he simply got an offer from brisbane, it leaked, and he chose to stay at Freo, thats absolutely fine.

There's the first actual confirmation its real. If this started in July he has had plenty of time to decide.

Yeah I think the other side of the coin is he was just thinking about the offer and it leaked. Would be odd to pick the Brisbane Lions, approach them months out, make it go public, fake a trade plot to strong arm your current club into a better deal, if that is the plan.. IMO, he needs a new manager.

It might be the eventual outcome but doubt its a planned ploy. He would get several $700k+ deals as a free agent next year that Freo would have to match and he can skip all the angst.

It would be incredibly stressful having 40 of your mates think you are about to leave with a year to serve on your contract, most players describe the process of leaving a club harrowing, would be massive overkill for a contract extension Freo would probley agree to if he just approached them anyway.

I think that if the club or players thought it was a plot, they would be angst, if he simply got an offer from brisbane, it leaked, and he chose to stay at Freo, thats absolutely fine.

Wouldn’t be odd to pick the lions at all. He knows we were interested last time, and that we have a shit ton of cash and a high draft pick to get it done. All things that would make it a conceivable scenario, and likely to make Freo shit themselves.

I already stated that maybe he wanted to get the extension done in the off-season, and not endure a circus-like season in the spotlight that might impact his form and drive down his price?

Edit: Or risk a long-term injury in a contract year (acl,broken leg, osteitis pubis etc). He will win another club champion this year. Stocks are high. Perfect time to do it.

Again, I think you’re overplaying the impact a player exploring his options would have on strongly built friendships, that have been formed over such a long period. Would you begrudge a long-term friend from exploring their work options? Would you feel angst towards them for trying to get the best deal possible? I don’t think you would.

It appears most of our boys were uncertain whether Dayne Beams was going to stay, just look at the Instagram post involving Rayner and Beams titled something like “I’m staying, now leave me alone”. Are they pissed off at him for entertaining a trade? Is there angst? Are you angry with him? Has he lost your respect? The answer again would be a resounding no. Even with the the very real understanding that Beams is leaving in two years time anyway.

Same goes with Jonathan Brown and how close he was to joining Collingwood back in 2008. I’m pretty sure it didn’t impact his legacy, or standing amongst the playing group.

If Neale does re-sign, there is no way to prove whether the intent to come to the lions was real or not. So I’m not sure how that is relevant to how he would be perceived by his peers.

I’m just playing devils advocate here mate. I’m not saying that I 100% believe Neale is doing this to leverage more cash from Freo. I’m just saying you can’t be so confident as to rule it out at this stage. Unless you are in fact Lachie Neale.

And in that case I apologise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back