We're getting Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

If it does happen I would be more disappointed if the club doesn’t come out and vent their anger in the media. And by anger I mean at every opportunity just give it to them.
We aren’t owned by them so really need a Jeff Kennett/ Clarko tirade who aren’t scared of any consequences

If our club Administration Lose Good Friday and end up playing an additional Game in Hobart in our 150th year then they can go **** Themselves!!! :stern look
Club is pissweak

If our club Administration Lose Good Friday and end up playing an additional Game in Hobart in our 150th year then they can go **** Themselves!!! :stern look

Club is pissweak

Do you guys truly believe that our club/admin would be the ones at fault if the AFL removes the fixture?

Do you guys truly believe that our club/admin would be the ones at fault if the AFL removes the fixture?
If we have a reputation for being pushovers than why do we even exist in this competition?
We need to stand our ground

I wonder have we leveraged this game enough? How has our marketing been? I will be very pissed off if they drop it for a year and then give it to another club. If they just drop it all together then I don't care.
I'd like to know what were the expectations of the AFL and the NMFC, were these expectations met, and if not, why not. Surely there was some sort of marketing plan around how a Good Friday game's success could be evaluated?

Mate it is our 150th Year. If they can't convince the AFL of the merits of us playing Good Friday in what is an important year for us then what good are they for? :stern look

"It was not a big enough crowd. it was disappointing in the sense, I think, there were only about 1000 St Kilda members who turned up, not that I want to blame it necessarily on them," Dilena said.

NORTH Melbourne remains committed to building Good Friday into an annual blockbuster, but club CEO Carl Dilena concedes this year's "disappointing" crowd was a setback for the fixture.

After lobbying since the 1990s to play on Good Friday, North got its wish in 2017 when the AFL finally agreed to fixture a game on the religious holiday.

The Kangaroos took on the Western Bulldogs in that inaugural game and drew a healthy crowd of 42,814 at Etihad Stadium.

SEASON VERDICT Roos fans hail big leap forward

However, when North took on a new opponent, St Kilda, in this year's second Good Friday game, that figure fell to 33,966.

Dilena told the In Review podcast series there was work to be done before Good Friday became an entrenched part of the competition's annual fixture.

"It was not a big enough crowd. it was disappointing in the sense, I think, there were only about 1000 St Kilda members who turned up, not that I want to blame it necessarily on them," Dilena said.

"We want to make it a success. I've had those discussions with the AFL. The AFL needs to put some real focus on it if we want to drive it. The challenge was I'm not sure Gill (McLachlan) was really a big fan of the concept to start with, so there will be a question mark over it.

"One, if you're going to keep doing it make sure you do it right. Let's get the opportunity to have a decent crowd and make it a real event. We've invested a lot of time and energy into it to make it a success.

"The first year with the Bulldogs was a pretty reasonable crowd, it was quite a good start. But last year was in my mind a bit of a backward step, so we either need to get that right or look at how we refresh it."

This season was the first for North and Etihad's other tenant clubs under the new stadium deal negotiated since the AFL assumed ownership of the venue.

Under the former stadium deal, clubs were occasionally forced to write cheques to the venue owner if game attendances fell below the low-to-mid 20,000s.

That is no longer the case under the AFL's ownership with tenant clubs guaranteed a base level of funding for each home game.

However, the widespread expectation tenants would be significantly better off once the AFL took over at Etihad has yet to eventuate, according to Dilena.

"There wasn't a lot of upside for us overall and that's because the deal is largely volume-based or based on the crowds attending," Dilena said.

"I think with the AFL fixture for us this year at Etihad it wasn't a really high-drawing fixture, so the numbers really weren’t there for us this year.

"Into the future if we keep playing well, we'll get a better fixture, we'll get good crowds turning up – not only our members but opposition supporters because we're playing a good brand of footy – then those financials should improve.

"But it certainly wasn't the game-changer that we were all hoping for in 2018."

Listen to the full interview on the In Review podcast, available on nmfc.com.au from Wednesday.

Rightful clip to St Kilda, they were pathetic.

Would have been 40-45k with the dogs again.
I dont see why we have to defend our position when it was clearly the * wits at AFL house ballsing the fixture up by giving the Aints a crack.

If they kept it us v dogs there would be nothing to discuss. The club should be on the front foot highlighting this point.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rightful clip to St Kilda, they were pathetic.

Would have been 40-45k with the dogs again.

This! *ing seriously make it a permanent nth vs dogs fixture. How St Kilda escape attention for their pathetic turnouts is beyond me. We’ve had some great battles with the dogs over the last several years. Why are we not capitalising in this rivalry?good Friday is the perfect outlet to do it and Peter Gordon seemed pretty passionate about having it taken away. Be nice if someone from our club was as strong about the very notion of it being taken away. It’s no coincidence the crowd was 10k less playing the saints. It it’s also no surprise they got a look in as gillon the *ing Muppet follows them. That stooge needs a *ing good kicking. Utter utter tripe and agree with the posters above. The club needs to be extremely strong on this. How we cop the blame for the shithouse St Kilda crowd is staggering. This stinks of a set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The important thing here Carl is that you don't want to apportion any blame on yourself. :stern look

This! ruddy seriously make it a permanent nth vs dogs fixture. How St Kilda escape attention for their pathetic turnouts is beyond me. We’ve had some great battles with the dogs over the last several years. Why are we not capitalising in this rivalry?good Friday is the perfect outlet to do it and Peter Gordon seemed pretty passionate about having it taken away. Be nice if someone from our club was as strong about the very notion of it being taken away. It’s no coincidence the crowd was 10k less playing the saints. It it’s also no surprise they got a look in as gillon the ruddy Muppet follows them. That stooge needs a ruddy good kicking. Utter utter tripe and agree with the posters above. The club needs to be extremely strong on this. How we cop the blame for the shithouse St Kilda crowd is staggering. This stinks of a set up.

If Peter Gordon hadn't tried to stab us in the back at every turn, maybe we would have been a little more sympathetic to his wailing. But I agree, the situation as it currently stands looks like a set up from Gilligan, who it seems, never wanted the Good Friday fixture in the first place.

They need to take a leaf out of the Big Freeze game. There needs to be a focal point like that stupid ice slide or the ANZAC day minute silence, something outside of the game itself that attracts the theatre goers. They should also look at something along the lines of the beanie, if there was a commemorative scarf or tshirt more money could be raised and word would spread in the lead up as you see people about town wearing the item. The poppy has the same effect.

They need to take a leaf out of the Big Freeze game. There needs to be a focal point like that stupid ice slide or the ANZAC day minute silence, something outside of the game itself that attracts the theatre goers. They should also look at something along the lines of the beanie, if there was a commemorative scarf or tshirt more money could be raised and word would spread in the lead up as you see people about town wearing the item. The poppy has the same effect.
Get in with Cadbury and give each theatre goer an Easter Egg. Better still get in with Nestle and give each theatre goer a can of Chocolate Quik. :stern look

Reason for Edit. *en Auto Spoke :stern look

Last edited:
One advantage Anzac day has is it floats, its not a Monday or a Friday. Problem with Good Friday is its the best time of year for us poor 4 weeks a year holiday types to get away as you get two Free days... I have not been to a Good Friday game yet as always go away at Easter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back